What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

brooksy19

Bench
At the moment the whole area only seems to matter as a part of Sydney when there's a major event on; the trains and buses crank up and it's the centre of attention. Outside that, it has some of the worst public transport access and community vibe anywhere in Sydney. Considering the value of the Newington & Homebush Bay residential areas the government doesn't seem too concerned about giving them a 21st century transport service.

Scrapping the need to change at Lidcombe and having regular rail services from the city via the loop and out to Parramatta or Liverpool would be a start. Filling all the open space outside the arenas with something organic like regular weekend markets and open air concerts and perhaps moving the DFO and expanding it into a Docklands style factory outlet quarter would ensure a regular flow of locals and tourists into the precinct which will help sustain businesses there much better.

Hit. Nail. Head.

We have our new Premier :)

Paulie Jay

Juniors
Stay on topic for starters idiot.

Obviously you don't know your Sydney crowds very well.

Finally people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Oh calm own chief. I live in Sydney and have been to plenty of games over the last 39 years. It was a gag - lighten up.

Loudstrat

Coach
At the moment the whole area only seems to matter as a part of Sydney when there's a major event on; the trains and buses crank up and it's the centre of attention. Outside that, it has some of the worst public transport access and community vibe anywhere in Sydney. Considering the value of the Newington & Homebush Bay residential areas the government doesn't seem too concerned about giving them a 21st century transport service.

Scrapping the need to change at Lidcombe and having regular rail services from the city via the loop and out to Parramatta or Liverpool would be a start. Filling all the open space outside the arenas with something organic like regular weekend markets and open air concerts and perhaps moving the DFO and expanding it into a Docklands style factory outlet quarter would ensure a regular flow of locals and tourists into the precinct which will help sustain businesses there much better.
You forget that the Homebush Sporting precinct was built for special events and recreation. While some argument exists for an entertainment complex of bars, restaurants, theatres etc, there is not much you can do with an area that is dominated by ANZ, Acer, RAS and Bicentennial park. From my experience the area handles major events extremely well.

And if you think Newington is the worst served area in Sydney for Public Transport, check out the areas around Rouse Hill, west of Parramatta and SW of Liverpool, not to mention the Northern Beaches.

Anyway, this is about a roof, isn't it? Unless it's an opaque roof, all you do is great a giant greenhouse. I agree, I hate paying big $ for a plastic seat and being told it's massive comfort compared to a grassy hill, when I have the same exopsure to elements and no room to spread a blanket, but my arse can touch plastic. Bottom line: $100 for an Origin/GF in whatever weather exists at the time, or $120 seeing a band under a roof. I know what is better value :?

Goddo

Bench
Great news on the stadium... finally going to finish the thing off (remember, these plans are similar to what was proposed after the Olympics but wasn't built because the government was tight).

ona2001, isn't homebush going to be turned into a western metro stop? the lidcombe link won't be used by 2018. Current government (well, their advisers anyway) is already looking at this issue.

What really sh!ts me is that the NSW liberals have outright said they will scrap the metro system. In fact, most large scale developments will be scrapped if they take office. Their solution? do nothing it seems.

I hate the current labor government power players (the likes of Frank Sartor, Joe Tripodi et al) and would love to see them ousted simply so the labor party can take a long hard look at itself in NSW (been in gov too long, becoming really stale).

The problem is the other guys are an absolute sh!t fight, but will probably win because Labor is a shambles. Who do I vote for so that we get the metro and infrastructure Labor has promised, but we also get rid of the dead wood in parliment?

A lot of people probably feel this way... stupid stupid state politics... why not disolve the states and let the federal gov take over!

would like to see the top teirs wrap around giving a capacity of over 100k plus a roof.
Blacktown stadium seems a waste of money just like the e-gate they are proposing for melbourne.
Lets band together with ffa to get some quality stadiums built promise teams for perth and adelaide to get rectangular stadiums there and help them get swan street built to 40k+

envy of the sporting world? Please! have they seen some of the recent stadiums built around the globe? Sticky plastering a stadium that is not well designed for rectangular sports or inclement weather will not make it the envy of the world!

But Perth, the article claims it will rectify all that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
it won;t when you compare it to real world clas designed rectangular stadiums. things like the seating ptich being too low so you feel miles away from the field etc can't be fixed and mean it will never be as good as many of the purpose built stadiums. They built it to fit over 100,000 for the Olympics, everything else is an afterthought. However, it will be a big improvement and will make viewing RL better so its def a positive. They just need to build a 42,000 state of the art RL, oops soccer, stadium someone that will most benefit RL in Sydney now!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
envy of the sporting world? Please! have they seen some of the recent stadiums built around the globe? Sticky plastering a stadium that is not well designed for rectangular sports or inclement weather will not make it the envy of the world!

It will. Lets not forget that Victorians view the world as lying between Mallacoota and Mildura & not north of the Murray River.

On that basis, it is the best stadium in the world.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

Perth Red, ever tried being positive about something? F**k me your posts are miserly...

Perth Red

Post Whore
ermmm it's going to be a great Xmas! That optimistic enough? Yeh I tend to be a pessimist, or maybe just a realist? 10 years of no regular live RL does that to you!

sooperdooper

First Grade
nothing but great news... those bagging the artist impression.
I am sure the construction and design team know a lil more than we do about this

babyg

Juniors
The only thing that is moving is the ends and no one sits there anyway. It's still a big flat stadium. Agree with the new one.

Loudstrat

Coach
it won;t when you compare it to real world clas designed rectangular stadiums. things like the seating ptich being too low so you feel miles away from the field etc can't be fixed and mean it will never be as good as many of the purpose built stadiums. They built it to fit over 100,000 for the Olympics, everything else is an afterthought. However, it will be a big improvement and will make viewing RL better so its def a positive. They just need to build a 42,000 state of the art RL, oops soccer, stadium someone that will most benefit RL in Sydney now!

That's the trouble from posting from La La Land. You wind up having NFI?

A 42k seater to benefit the most teams - Given that Parra re happily locked into it's wonderful stadium next door, Penrith is out of the equasion, Wests function best as the nomdic Beduin tribe of the NRL, Saints are split between 2 cities, Manly centered around Brookie, Cronulla to their boutique swamp, and the Dogs ensconsed at ANZ, that leaves Souths and Easts.

So a 42k seater to benefit Souths and Easts - sounds like we build a 42k seater at the old SSG site. Good idea - ironically the same one Phillip Cox and the SCG trust had 25 years ago. :crazy:

Goddo

Bench
The artist obviously isn't an engineer. I don't think the existing trusses are designed for the extra load. Is the roofing material supported on cables?
How will they cool the stadium for spectators? Looks like one big greenhouse.

You obviously aren't an engineer.

It won't be supported by cables. where would they go to? Cables would require an arch far above the stadium, like Durban stadium or Wembley. It would run on rails next to the two existing roof trusses.

The roof truss was originally designed to support a full roof post Olympics, but the money simply wasn't there for them to build it. Currently, it is way way over engineered for what it supports. If you look at the supports of the trusses, the angles they meet the concrete supports it is imediately obvious it is much stronger than it needs to be currently, as it was designed for the roof load.

In all likely hood, this roof will weigh less than the original design as it will be made out of lighter weight materials (it was originally going to have a retractable roof very similar to Etihad Stadium, except curved). No problem whatsoever.

In terms of heating, the design would incorporate venting to prevent the internal temperature becoming like a green house, and the glass pannels would reflect alot of UV and non visable spectrum radiation, meaning it won't warm up much if at all.

Note, most new stadiums incorporate these features, even if its not fully enclosed. The new Melbourne Rectangular Stadium has most of these features in its roof design.

Goddo

Bench
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I can't be bothered reading the whole thread to check...

Were the Telstra roof and retractable end plan go through, the stadium would be out of action for quite some time when the construction was being done.

Concievably, if it takes 9 months to a year, it would give Brisbane a chance to host a grand final.

Which would fit very nicely in with the NRL plan to give the QLDers a Grand Final, but without stepping on anyones toes in Sydney.

Green Machine

First Grade
So, this plan for a new roof for ANZ and a new stadium for Campbelltown comes out a day or two after soccer gets knocked back at Etihad. I wonder if these proposals has have been fully funded. Had to laugh at this:
While Campbelltown is presently the favoured location for the new stadium, Football Federation Australia and Events NSW are yet to determine exactly where the venue will be.

I’ll bet the Soccer Federation and Events NSW won’t be paying a cent

Blacktown is also being considered as a proposed site, as are Gosford and Wollongong.
Why would you build another stadium at Gosford?

The stadium would become the state's fourth World Cup arena venue, along with ANZ Stadium, the SFS and Newcastle's EnergyAustralia Stadium.

The development would provide NSW with four venues for rugby league capable of holding at least 40,000 fans and re-enforce the state's reputation as the true home of the code.

Adding to the delight of NRL fans is the fact that Greater Western Sydney - the new AFL franchise keen to get a foothold in Sydney's league heartland - is unlikely to consider playing at the new stadium because it will be designed as a rectangular arena.
That is never going to happen. Fear mungering at its best
At present, Campbelltown Stadium is run down and the existing grandstand is in desperate need of repair. The dressingrooms and press facilities are simply not up to modern-day standards.
I wonder if Dean Ritchie and Phil Rothfield have been out there lately? The old grandstand's seats and private boxes have been guttered and are currently being re-fitted out. Besides the work on the grandstand, the ground is having a concrete concourse installed to the grass areas with plastic seating added, all to the tune of over $10m. If they want to fit in 44k plus capacity, they will have to pull down the current stands,

Last edited:

Latest posts