What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play the NZ Anthem at the NRL Grand Final.

NumberOne

Juniors
Wouldn't it be a nice touch, that in addition to the Australian national anthem, that the NZ anthem be also played at the NRL GF?

The team is representing NZ, so why not?

Would do a lot for the game in NZ if the NRL pays respect to the country.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just heard the discussion of that on 2GB and completely agree. Can't remember if it was the case in 2002 or not.

_addict

Juniors
Such a nod would be well received by the NZ public. In terms of a gesture it would generate considerable good-will. Too often there is ridicule and put-downs between us, it sometimes does good to remember we are brothers in a very unique way.

supercharger

Juniors
How do they do it in the NHL?
it depends for a game between a canadian team and an american team in canada they play the american anthem first then the canadian
and when it's a canadian team playing against an american team in america they play the canadian anthem before the american

Danish

Referee
they played it at the 02 GF, really cant see why it would be any different this time.

A haka would be a bit much given half the warriors arent kiwis and a fair few of the sea eagles are.

I'm sure they'll bring in that awesome bloke whose been leading the crowd hakas though

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't necessarily agree. The NRL is a professional sporting competition which is based in and run by Australia. It's not an international test. Not everyone in the Warriors side is a New Zealander either.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't necessarily agree. The NRL is a professional sporting competition which is based in and run by Australia. It's not an international test. Not everyone in the Warriors side is a New Zealander either.

Not everyone in the Manly side is an Australian either.

I've got no problem with both anthems being sung. Most of the Warriors fans are Kiwis even if the players aren't.

A haka wouldn't go astray either.

I really hope they do another crowd Haka again, they're awesome.

This is how I saw it ^^, I have nothing against New Zealand or their national anthem; but this is an Australian competition and it would be kind of odd to play it.

But in saying this, it would not bother me one bit if they played it.

Brutus

Referee
A few years ago there were just as many Aussies in the Warriors team as there were Kiwis.

Now there's only 3 Aussies in the top 17 (Luck, Lillyman and Maloney) - the rest are Kiwis.

NZ anthem for sure.