What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play the NZ Anthem at the NRL Grand Final.

Paullyboy

Coach
I don't understand where the thinking that playing an anthem is somehow related to a major sporting event came from, if you take away the past and think about it logically it makes little sense.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Yeah - mascot relays or giant 10 pin bowling before the game & u/8's at half time...just another game isnt it?

Newcastle sing the anthem before all their home games as far as I'm aware. Not sure if any other teams still do though, I remember it being discussed not too long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA7kGCkMvak

Wonder if the guy in the Manly jumper will crack out the Haka again this time?

There were a heap of Melbourne fans doing the Haka last night.

innsaneink

Referee
I don't understand where the thinking that playing an anthem is somehow related to a major sporting event came from, if you take away the past and think about it logically it makes little sense.
Who or whats to say when its played or sung?
They sung it every day or week when my kids were in primary school....pretty sure we did too
Its a special occasion...I dont see why anyone would even question this

Dragon2010

First Grade
Agree here. NZ anthem should be played. NRL is an expanding sport and NZ is a strong part of it this year having been GrandFinalists in all three grades this year (NYC Cup, NSWCup and Telstra Premiership). So yes I think in regards to multiculturalism and diversification it should be played.

woodyk2

First Grade
So if theres players on either team that are not OZ or Kiwi...do we play their anthems as well?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
with 3/6 teams competing being from auckland, they're a bit obliged - aren't they?

Eels Dude

Coach

Because it's that countries major sporting event. You may as well do away with anthems all together with your kind of attitude.

Didgi

Definitely, and it's about where the Warriors are based, not players' heritage.

they played it at the 02 GF, really cant see why it would be any different this time.

A haka would be a bit much given half the warriors arent kiwis and a fair few of the sea eagles are.

Half? Try three or four, would only be about that that are kiwis in the Manly team too :crazy:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So if theres players on either team that are not OZ or Kiwi...do we play their anthems as well?

No, because the players origins has nothing to do with it. It has to do with where the clubs are based. As we have an NZ based club in the GF it's appropriate to play the NZ anthem.

Eels Dude

Coach
No, because the players origins has nothing to do with it. It has to do with where the clubs are based. As we have an NZ based club in the GF it's appropriate to play the NZ anthem.

So do you play it every year the Warriors don't make the Grand Final? Logic would say yes.

NumberOne

Juniors
FFS some people of here are dumb.

It has nothing to do with the national anthem being played for the players...it is for the clubs.

I know this will come a shock to some of you guys, but the Warriors are a club based in NZ...Hence it is appropriate that the NZ anthem be played ffs.

Eels Dude

Coach
Why would logic say yes? I think it makes sense to play it if there's an NZ based club playing.

Logic says yes because it's not an international sporting event it's a club competition which is Australian owned and run. If you accept the fact that NZ deserve equal recognition with Australia in regards to the NRL then why not play their anthem with the Aussie one every year? Not just the years NZ qualify.

Ausguy

Coach
Not at all.

Its not a test match, every player in the New Zealand squad isnt a kiwi national, its simply not relevant.

Do we play the aus anthem for manly?