What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play the NZ Anthem at the NRL Grand Final.

WAPAU

Juniors
Why play the anthems at all. It is not a representative game and it is not a single country competition.

Eels Dude

Coach
A few years ago there were just as many Aussies in the Warriors team as there were Kiwis.

Now there's only 3 Aussies in the top 17 (Luck, Lillyman and Maloney) - the rest are Kiwis.

NZ anthem for sure.

Feleti Mateo is not a Kiwi.

Eels Dude

Coach
This is how I saw it ^^, I have nothing against New Zealand or their national anthem; but this is an Australian competition and it would be kind of odd to play it.

But in saying this, it would not bother me one bit if they played it.

Yeah that's exactly my point. It doesn't bother me if they play it either. Just pointing out the reason why the Australian anthem is played isn't to aknowledge the player's cultures... they do so because the competition itself is an Australian competition and it's tradition. Just about major sporting events and competitions would play their national anthem prior to the final.

Yeah that's exactly my point. It doesn't bother me if they play it either. Just pointing out the reason why the Australian anthem is played isn't to aknowledge the player's cultures... they do so because the competition itself is an Australian competition and it's tradition. Just about major sporting events and competitions would play their national anthem prior to the final.

I agree with this.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Nationality of the players isn't an issue- where the clubs are based is. As in this case we have an NZ based club playing an Australian based club, it's appropriate to play both anthems.

innsaneink

Referee
LOL His facial expressions were soo funny lol.

The Sydney Haka was way better than the Melbourne Haka, even the women got involved in the Sydney Haka.

You could also feel the atmosphere through the TV.

Yep we were sitting right near them, an experience i wont forget in a hurry, even as an opposing fan....it was great, added to the atmosphere.

Nuke

Staff member
They did it in 2002, so they should do it again this year. I see no reason not to. I can see the points being raised here by some of the people against the idea, but in my mind, the Warriors players are representing a club from New Zealand, and the Manly players are representing a club from Australia. To me, it's not about where the individual players come from, but who they're representing.

I'd also like to see that guy get the crowd doing a haka too. Having a stadium with 87,000 people in it and having all the kiwis / maoris to do it together will be an incredible atmosphere.

Manly fans can all do the chicken dance together if they want to return serve..!

Timbo

Staff member
In Major League Baseball, there are 29 US teams and 1 Canadian one.

At the World Series, they sing both - regardless if the Toronto Blue Jays feature or not.

Both should be sung. Every year.

Why play the anthems at all. It is not a representative game and it is not a single country competition.

This!!!

I've never understood the justification of anthems at a non-international event.

Well because its a major Australian sporting event and its meant to unite all of us Australians together, and what better way to do that than sing the national anthem.