What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

aussies1st

Staff member
Piri Weepu as it says is the hurricans halfback from rugby union in nz
He is alright from what i saw of him in the super 12, can kick goals buit kicking and passing game haven't really been tested

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Thurston came up to the Raiders Army/SGB after the game and said you guys should be use to this cold weather ay, and one of the guys replied, yeah well u should get use to it soon too ay, and he smiled kinda thing..kinda interesthing but u had to be there....hint that he might still sign? :? Not everyday a opposition player comes up to the other teams army..

Poida_Raider

Bench
if he was to sign, i dont think he would be guaranteed to get first grade action.
he'd probably be a good thing in terms of depth etc.. but i dont know if we really need him that bad. and he is a pretty good player most of the times i've seen him. so i spose that doesnt exactly hurt.

skeepe

Immortal
Hmmm I don't remember that #1, must've been after I left. Left straight away coz I thought I was going to miss the train then got stuck at the station for 40 mins. Damn trains.

I honestly don't think Thurston would be that bad a signing, particularly if he is used as an impact player off the bench. Worked wonders with McLinden last year.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Hmmm I don't remember that #1, must've been after I left. Left straight away coz I thought I was going to miss the train then got stuck at the station for 40 mins. Damn trains.

It was outside the players entrance on the other side after the game as they walked out towards the buses.

mike83au

Juniors
Just heard on the radio the Canberra HAVE confirmed the signing of Jason Smith to a 1 year deal....

They didn't say anything more, but good ol' trustworthy WSFM doesn't let me down too often....

If it's true though, I must admit I'm having trouble getting excited.... so to speak :oops:

legend

Coach
Thats bad news because Smith would command a fair bit and with Kite almost certain to return, it looks as though Wiki is definitely gone.

ESL I can handle, another NRL club I could not handle. I hope he has enough loyalty to never want to play against the Raiders. :(

Poida_Raider

Bench
he also has to look out for the good of himself and his family. but also he'd have to think that his family seem to like it in canberra, and i'm sure we'll work something out.
i'm sure that theres no way the raiders could let him go, they know how important he is. ofcourse they do.

sydraider

First Grade
This has got me stuffed, why wouldnt the club want to make wiki a lifer and keep him for the last couple of years????
Was he asking for that much that this management could not accomodate him???

Poida_Raider

Bench
for all we know the raiders have offered he 350k per year, and his player manager thinks he can get more. just think of it that way, i know its probably a little unrealistic, but thats basically whats goin on i think.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Jason Smith (if he's signed) is the best move this current management team has made since taking over.

Not only will he give us some serious stability around the rucks - and direction, he will bring a winner's edge to our group of players. I'm not saying they are not winners as blokes but let's face it what have we won since the majority of these players have entered 1st grade? Only Croker, Davico and Wiki have been in a premiership winning squad before and that was way back in 1994.
Smith may be 32 but he's got more skill and smarts than any of our current backrowers/five-eighth molded players.
But the biggest thing he brings to the team?

Appeal - if other players on the market see he is willing to come to Canberra from the cushy $$$$ of the English Super League - then he must have faith the Raiders are gonna be a force. This COULD translate to not only Kite signing but also maybe, just maybe Matty Orford on a 1 year deal.

I do not and will never want Ruben Wiki to leave the Raiders, but again I am not the management. If Smith has indeed signed - then we've at least got something to smile about - you can't win a comp without proven winners and Smith is one.

That being said - he'll probably spend Wiki-like time on the sideline through suspension cause he was a firey so and so in his last NRL stint!

GREAT MOVE SIMON HAWKINS. Congrats.