What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Market

possm

Coach
That’s not what he said. He said “if you have a team of rep players, you should be winning a comp every second year”. Let’s reallt dissect that:
- only one team can win it every year,
- each premiership team gets pillaged by teams with cap space looking for a quick fix
- people aren’t as motivated the second or third time around if they won it the first time,
- injuries or suspensions can easily ruin a season
- drop off in form happens to the best of them (its happening to Thurston right before our eyes)
- leaving aside all of that, it’s also just really f**king difficult.

I'd like to think that under a good coaching staff and good management, a highly talented team with the right mix of youth and experience could do what the Dragons did in the 50s and 60s. On e of the biggest tasks is to sign the RIGHT players long term; Millward.

BLM01

First Grade
As with Uate before him, Tapou has significantly fallen away. I feel people’s excitement over him is more a statement about Saints’ current backline than anything else.
Agree. If Tupou was that good he would not be leaving the Chook Pen. But Yes agree he is marginally better than Nene out of the backfield and an upgrade on an ageing Nighty. Periera for mine with some coaching needed plays with that viguor and aggression we are lacking on the flanks but is he up to 1st grade?. With some work and adjustments to his game Yes. Over to you coaching staff!

possm

Coach
Pauli
We have made Tupou a offer.
And oates we have had discussion.
We will only get one if we get any.
I think tupou asking price is better.
Oats wants to play in the forwards so left edge for Oats, right edge for Sims and Frizell to prop. Tupou and Macdonald our first choice wingers and Lomaz and Herbert our first choice centres. What a team!

BLM01

First Grade
Oats and Tupou would be two good purchases for 2019. Let Oats play on the left edge with Leilua coming off the bench:
1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Lomax
4. Herbert
5. Tupou
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes / Robson
10. Graham
11. Oats
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Frizell
15. New prop
16. Leilua
17. Mann

Nightingale - Retired
Aitken - Bench in ISP
Lafai - let go or reserve grade
Latimore - Let go
Allgood - Let go
Field - Let go

We need to renew and so some players need to be let go to make way for others coming through.

Dont forget Mary said he had the team this year that he wanted and recuited / worked for. No changes needed it appears!

Frank Facer

First Grade
Oats and Tupou would be two good purchases for 2019. Let Oats play on the left edge with Leilua coming off the bench:
1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Lomax
4. Herbert
5. Tupou
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes / Robson
10. Graham
11. Oats
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Frizell
15. New prop
16. Leilua
17. Mann

Nightingale - Retired
Aitken - Bench in ISP
Lafai - let go or reserve grade
Latimore - Let go
Allgood - Let go
Field - Let go

We need to renew and so some players need to be let go to make way for others coming through.

I would prefer to play Oates at centre

1 Dufty
2 Tupou
3 Lomax
4 Oates
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 Sims
11 Leilua/Host
10 Frizell
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 Mann/Aitken
15 Host/Leilua
16 Graham
17 New prop, Korbin isn't good enough

TomRedVRiver

Bench

1 Dufty
2 Tupou
3 Lomax
4 Oates
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 Sims
11 Leilua/Host
10 Frizell
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 Mann/Aitken
15 Host/Leilua
16 Graham

Like the team in theory, but there's no way we'll get Oates AND Tupou. It'll be one or the other... Or Neither.
But f**k me if we did, that is a HUGE backline. Tupes, Oates, Lomax and MacDonald ALL over 190cms.

I also wouldn't demote Graham to the bench. He has to start or nothing in my opinion. You want impact from your bench forwards and he doesn't really provide line-bending spark. He's much better off starting to ignite the team and start well with good line-speed and energy etc.

There's also the golden rule of never weakening one position to strengthen another. We gain nothing by moving Frizell to prop. He's one of the best edge back-rowers in the game and we need him on the field for 70-80 minutes.

possm

Coach

1 Dufty
2 Tupou
3 Lomax
4 Oates
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
13 DeBelin
12 Sims
11 Leilua/Host
10 Frizell
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 Mann/Aitken
15 Host/Leilua
16 Graham
My mistake, yes K Sims is the new prop. But I believe Oats is hell bent on playing in the backrow. To win his signature he would need to have confidence in being selected in the forwards - better pay than on the wing.

possm

Coach
Like the team in theory, but there's no way we'll get Oates AND Tupou. It'll be one or the other... Or Neither.
But f**k me if we did, that is a HUGE backline. Tupes, Oates, Lomax and MacDonald ALL over 190cms.

I also wouldn't demote Graham to the bench. He has to start or nothing in my opinion. You want impact from your bench forwards and he doesn't really provide line-bending spark. He's much better off starting to ignite the team and start well with good line-speed and energy etc.

There's also the golden rule of never weakening one position to strengthen another. We gain nothing by moving Frizell to prop. He's one of the best edge back-rowers in the game and we need him on the field for 70-80 minutes.
In my opinion Frizell has a problem in defence when lateral movement is required. On our right edge we have Frizell, Hunt, Aitken and Nightingale; a true formula for disaster. One wonders what goes on in Mary's head. Frizell is a great front on defender and also likes to run in traffic; always cuts back to the middle third. I think he will make an outstanding prop; could even turn out to be our best prop. Then by replacing Aitken and Nightingale, Hunt will have to do a little less of the heavy work and our right edge defence should be much stiffer. Most teams have their backline thrust on the left edge - that is against our right edge in defence. We need to address this problem if we want to progress n the finals.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Myself and many others are now of the opinion that Frizell is better suited to the middle. He doesn't run good lines. He likes to run straight and hard at players, that suits prop. Our right hand side defence is also a problem, some think that Frizell is partly responsible for that problem. If Frizell is at prop, then he doesn't have to wait for the game to come to him. I believe that we would be strengthening our middle and with either Leilua or Host would would have a very promising edge backrower taking Frizell's place. I believe that our pack would be stronger with Frizell at prop and either Leilua or Host playing edge backrower. I said this earlier in the season, when we were still undefeated.

I think Graham has got only one more year in him. He could be good coming off the bench and providing energy, leadership and quality.

Frank Facer

First Grade
My mistake, yes K Sims is the new prop. But I believe Oats is hell bent on playing in the backrow. To win his signature he would need to have confidence in being selected in the forwards - better pay than on the wing.
I would not be signing Oates to play backrow for us. We are already very well stocked for edge backrowers in Sims, Frizell, Leilua and Host. We also have Jackson Ford who is a decent prospect too. He won our under 20's player of the year award last year.

I think Korbin is a waste of money.

Frank Facer

First Grade
In my opinion Frizell has a problem in defence when lateral movement is required. On our right edge we have Frizell, Hunt, Aitken and Nightingale; a true formula for disaster. One wonders what goes on in Mary's head. Frizell is a great front on defender and also likes to run in traffic; always cuts back to the middle third. I think he will make an outstanding prop; could even turn out to be our best prop. Then by replacing Aitken and Nightingale, Hunt will have to do a little less of the heavy work and our right edge defence should be much stiffer. Most teams have their backline thrust on the left edge - that is against our right edge in defence. We need to address this problem if we want to progress n the finals.
I too think that Frizell would be our best prop, if we played him there.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Topou is 27 and listed as 196cm and 105kg.
Yes he's a big unit.
But is he fast?
We all know signing him will undoubtably block a wing spot for a number of years as McGregor will select him without fail.

We've been down this road before and even now we hear complaints about no pathway for our juniors. Dufty looks pretty set at fullback, both Aitjen and Lafai signed until 2020, add Nene (2019) and now add Topou (?). So were does Lomax, Masters and Co come in?

We already know McGregor is risk adverse and will always go with experience over rookie. He's had ample opportunities to do so not only this year but previous years as well. And no i'm not ralkingxabout being #17 on the team sheet and getting 5 mins which in his mind is "blooding".

Bench
Topou is 27 and listed as 196cm and 105kg.
Yes he's a big unit.
But is he fast?
We all know signing him will undoubtably block a wing spot for a number of years as McGregor will select him without fail.

We've been down this road before and even now we hear complaints about no pathway for our juniors. Dufty looks pretty set at fullback, both Aitjen and Lafai signed until 2020, add Nene (2019) and now add Topou (?). So were does Lomax, Masters and Co come in?

We already know McGregor is risk adverse and will always go with experience over rookie. He's had ample opportunities to do so not only this year but previous years as well. And no i'm not ralkingxabout being #17 on the team sheet and getting 5 mins which in his mind is "blooding".
How many clubs have blooded their juniors and have found success with them. Our coach won’t take the risk of doing that. Instead of buying second stringers we should be giving our juniors they one thing they want, chance to play first grade.
The only way some of our juniors the chance to play first grade will be at another club