What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Market

Frank Facer

First Grade
Robert Jennings is still unsigned by Souths for next season. He has had a good season and I would be very happy for us to sign him. He can play wing and I think he can play centre. I recently heard that some good judges rated Robert the best of he Jennings brothers as juniors.

I still like the idea of Rapana. A wing pairing of Rapana and Robert Jennings would look really good to me.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Spot o Frank Rapana and Jennings would be handy. I am still concerned about our centres also. Lomax has to be in next year if not now.
Lafai McDonald Nightingale have to go . Aitkin needs to told that he needs to be told he needs to develope his game more and become a more consistant peformer.I like Pieras attitude but I am not sure if he has the x factor needed to be a nrl player.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Spot o Frank Rapana and Jennings would be handy. I am still concerned about our centres also. Lomax has to be in next year if not now.
Lafai McDonald Nightingale have to go . Aitkin needs to told that he needs to be told he needs to develope his game more and become a more consistant peformer.I like Pieras attitude but I am not sure if he has the x factor needed to be a nrl player.
Yeah, I agree that Lomax has to be given a shot at centre next year. I wouldn't mind seeing McDonald have a run in the centres. I think he has been good for us on the wing this year, but there is room for improvment, Someone on this site said that we were trying to get Rapana before the june 30 deadline, but it fell through. He isn't officially off contract until the end of next season. Jennings is off contract and could be a good signing. I would be letting Aitken and Lafai go asap. There were some pretty big wraps on young Marsters last year, some even thought that he could be our future fullback. I think he is only 18 and is currently playing wing in the ISP. I am hoping that he could develop into one of our centres or wingers. We have also signed a young winger from the Mounties, which is Canberra's feeder club.

aquiin

Juniors
It is always hard to balance outside help and junior or developed players in the situation we are in. There is a rush to find a solution because we are in a better position than expected. If you think the forward pack is good this year, wait until next year. Then of course if injuries hit, we don’t really see it until 2020.

The outside back depth (beneath first grade) is better than we had in 2009, but most need time. Bennett didn’t want to match offers from elsewhere. Same can happen again, if you place players that are seen to be long-term in front of them.

Buying a player like Rapana, if actually possible, makes some sense because he’s the best of the best and there’s no guarantee anyone will reach that level.

Jennings, well whoever has been on the left at Souths has scored tries the last ten years and especially since Maguire. Michael is the best talent of the brothers.

I would be seriously concerned if the coach and recruitment were looking for short-term fixes when Sailor, Marsters, Lomax, Johns, Gillard, Herbert, Garrick, Morris, Saab to name a few will play NRL and some at higher levels.

Last edited:

gonz

Juniors
Robert Jennings is still unsigned by Souths for next season. He has had a good season and I would be very happy for us to sign him. He can play wing and I think he can play centre. I recently heard that some good judges rated Robert the best of he Jennings brothers as juniors.

I still like the idea of Rapana. A wing pairing of Rapana and Robert Jennings would look really good to me.
With aitken setting them up ?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Big whisper Roosters winger Daniel TUPOU very close to Dragons..
I don't mind the idea of tupou. He is certainly better than what we have already got. I think his return from injury has helped Easts. When they had Aubusson at centre, he really handicapped their attack.

lol

No, I don't want Aitken in our centres unless he is coming off the bench if there is an injury to one of our backs.

I like the idea of Lomax at right centre or even left centre.
Given Aitkin's defence, he is not first grade material. Half a player really.
Better for him to go away and become a more complete footballer.
If that happens, I doubt he will come back as a centre.

Crush

Coach
As with Uate before him, Tapou has significantly fallen away. I feel people’s excitement over him is more a statement about Saints’ current backline than anything else.
I was at the game on sunday and I noticed how hard Topou ran the ball and how effective he was. He would be a massive upgrade on our current wingers and would be in the top tier of wingers in the game currently IMO.

possm

Coach
i said it before and il say it again IF MARY HAD THE NSW STATE OF ORIGIN TEAM he still couldnt win the grand final .THIS GREAT CLUB NEEDS A COACH NOT LEONARDO DI VINCI .........TIME TO GET ON YOUR JETSKI AND GET OUT OF TOWN
I'd also like to see Mary get a golden handshake or golden jetshi at the ned of this season, if not then before the end of the season. However, it seems that deals have been done and my wish won't be granted. Oh, what we could have done if we had a great coach in 2018!

My greatest fear is that our new CEO and board of management will extend our dip stick of a coach for another 3 years.

We need to make some positive changes asap mainly because our backline is such a drag on the performance of the team. Changes also need to be made in the forwards i.e. Frizell to prop, Sims to the right edge and Leilua to left edge.

possm

Coach
I said just that before each of those games in regards to Smith and Farrah . If I could see it then I am quite sure that others in the forum could see it also . Of all players who know how to get the attack rolling those 2 gentlemen (?) are it . Does that make me coaching material ? Hardly , but why in the name of hell were those 2 players given such latitude ?

They reaped the rewards of the freedom given to them and we , well let’s just say that the Dragons lost 4 most valuable competition points . It was so apparent to everyone that both Smith and Farrah had to be contained but were not , the Storm game I can see why - we simply had too many of our regular 1st graders out . But there was no excuse for not keeping Farrah in check , IMO .

I'm convinced that Mary and his assistants only look at how the Dragon's players execute their instructions. No plan B and no spotting dangours opposition players. We have two top line backrowers who at SOO level and occasionally at NRL level showed us how thay can nullify dangerous opposition players however, sadly in many games this year, this was not part of the game plan.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Oats and Tupou would be two good purchases for 2019. Let Oats play on the left edge with Leilua coming off the bench:
1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Lomax
4. Herbert
5. Tupou
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes / Robson
10. Graham
11. Oats
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Frizell
15. New prop
16. Leilua
17. Mann

Nightingale - Retired
Aitken - Bench in ISP
Lafai - let go or reserve grade
Latimore - Let go
Allgood - Let go
Field - Let go

We need to renew and so some players need to be let go to make way for others coming through.

BLM01

First Grade

I think you will find Jennings has or is about to re sign with Souths and Raiders wont let Rapana go. I thought he was under contract. Is it official yet or even going to happen? that we have signed the Fijian Mounties winger