What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player names on jerseys

ozjet1

I think the NRL should introduce this initiative. This will importantly benefit clubs merchandising possibilities with much needed funds to clubs, and also, allow supporters to display their favourite player to the football public.

In order for this concept to succeed though, players will need to have their own personal number. This would mean that players would not necessarily be wearing a number from 1 to 13 if they're a starter in any given match.

To prevent number allocations/choices getting absurd, and to keep some sort of number/position association in the game, I would suggest that the NRL regulate this issue by ensuring clubs/players are limited to a number designated by their postion. An example could be an allocation on a club's entire roster such as this:

# 1 to 19 - Fullbacks, Wingers & Centres;
# 20 to 29 - Five-Eights, Half-backs, Hookers;
# 30 to 49 - Props, Second-rowers, Locks.

Ofcourse, there are a minority of players who can fill a variety of positions but, generally (excluding centres come back-rowers & vice versa, or some hookers who can play as genuine forwards) players fill positions according to the groups above.

Do you think this would be a good idea? I think that as a professional sport and business, the NRL should look at ways of maximising marketing opportunities for clubs and the competition as a whole and this would be a great way of achieving this.

choc_soldier

Coach
They did it in Superleague. I'm not sure whether it was considered a success.

But I do like your idea, in a way.

Mr Saab

Referee
melbourne did it for a few yrs (i think so the melb folk could identify them)

I am happy with how it is.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
nope it didnt work in superleague, wont work again. the tradition is a big thing and the numbers in league have a tradition. You hear of people filling the "number 7" at parra as an honour, not as just another position. you hear people proud to wear the number 6 for qld after wally.

if you want a number on your jersey they can be done for whatever player you want

Darth Bobo

Pierced Soul said:
nope it didnt work in superleague, wont work again. the tradition is a big thing and the numbers in league have a tradition. You hear of people filling the "number 7" at parra as an honour, not as just another position. you hear people proud to wear the number 6 for qld after wally.

100% Agree.

Who can remember Steve Walters running around for the Cowboys with number 42 on his back? It did not make sense!

The NFL has something like what you are reccomending but they also have a sqaud of about 35 players for each game, we only ever use 17 and we just don't have the need for a new numbering system.

salivor

First Grade
Definetly not. There are certain numbers that are sacred to clubs, take the No.7 at Parramatta and Brisbane that both had very successful long term halfbacks that were and have been the identity of their clubs for many years. With Langer, I think it is only something like 2-3 games in his whole career, club or rep matches that he didn't wear the number 7.

jamesgould

Juniors
Some clubs wouldn't be able to afford to print off new jerseys every match ... like Newcastle. Ironically they are the team that would need to, coz they never run out the same 17 two weeks in a row.

James.

macavity

Referee
names - great idea, works well in UK and provision can be made for sponsors.

change the numbers - no freaking way.

salivor said:
Definetly not. There are certain numbers that are sacred to clubs, take the No.7 at Parramatta and Brisbane that both had very successful long term halfbacks that were and have been the identity of their clubs for many years. With Langer, I think it is only something like 2-3 games in his whole career, club or rep matches that he didn't wear the number 7.
True but had they been wearing their own number, that would've been even more meaningful for them and the players. The number can become much more identifiable across the league and player identification on the field becomes so much easier. As it stands, that number 7 changed hands so many times, it loses its value.

For example, internationally, the number 23 is forever associated with Michael Jordan while to a lesser degree, 99 is Wayne Gretzky's and 66 is Mario Lemieux's.

Number 7 to a Broncos supporter may mean Alfie Langer but it doesn't have the same level of association across the NRL because Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley, Matt Orford, Craig Gower, and a host of others all wear number 7. You cannot retire a number out of respect as well like they do in north american sports leagues.

Maybe it's just different mindsets between Australia and North America.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It wouldnt be too hard at the start of season for clubs to nominate the numbers 1 to 25 for their top 25, they would carry these numbers for the whole season. That would reduce the costs of changing names on jerseys, and the next season that rookie who claimed the halfback spot would claim the 7 jumper as his own.

Booyah

Bench
I'm not a big fan of that personal numbers for individual players. They did it in Super League and I didn't like it and they still have it in ESL. It's too gridiron.

Besides, why change it if its not broken?

Dogs Of War said:
It wouldnt be too hard at the start of season for clubs to nominate the numbers 1 to 25 for their top 25, they would carry these numbers for the whole season. That would reduce the costs of changing names on jerseys, and the next season that rookie who claimed the halfback spot would claim the 7 jumper as his own.
That may be a good idea, a regular positional 1-17 and 18-25 for the remaining reserves. Anyone outside the 25 can have progressive numbering based on order of appearance. That way, player recognition is much stronger, coupled with printed names above the sponsor's logo at the back.

jamesgould

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:

Well I forgot to add that I don't like the idea of players not wearing their properly numbered jersey. Even when a player is out with injury I iwhs they'd just give the replacement a proper number.

I mean, really, how hard is it right now to identify players? It this really a barrier to new fans? If you are unable to work out over a couple of weeks which player is which then how exactly are you finding your way to the ground unaided?

James.

ozjet1

consensus so far is to maintain the status quo with the argument of tradition and its failure in Superleague.

I'm also a traditionalist but, this is an opportunity to market the game's assets as for the benefit of the competition. soccer was also a sport which with a numbering system that identified player by position. now, clubs are cashing in on merchandising off the back of a players identifiable number made his own, just like sports in the USA. with News Ltd propping up a few clubs and the pokie tax having an effect on club income, i would have thought that this was another way off clubs contributing to their revenue.

superleague was an overall debacle and player numbers got out of hand as there was no regulation of them. were player names on the jerseys then? i thought it was just numbers. those generic jerseys were also a shocker.

perhaps the actual numbering system i've hypothesised isn't accepted by those against the idea but, how about player names in general. if this is to be introduced, a player would need their own number for clubs/competition to generate value out of it.

Latest posts