What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player names on jerseys

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The numbers should be:
1-13
14-26
27-40

and on the difference between guernsey - jersey, doesn't that relate to wear they were originally made.

Melbourne used to put names on jeryeys, but the cost of it was ridiculous as every time a player changed position, he had to get a new jersey printed up. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was huge

tiburon

Juniors
I really do think it should be implemented. Not like the whole NFL things some people are suggesting....

i.e.
Wing, centre, fullback - 20-49
Forwards - 50-99
Hooker, 5/8, halfback - 1-19

BUT INSTEAD keep the numbers as they are and just add players names to the jerseys. Pretty simple really every year a player gets his number and keeps it for the year
so say for example with the Sharks we would have....

1.PEACHEY
2.SIMMONS
3.VAGANA
4.MELLOR
5.COVELL
6.DYKES
7.KIMMORLEY
8.STEVENS
9.HILDER
10.NUTLEY
11.WILLIAMS
12.BAILEY
13.GALLEN
14.MAIAVA
15.GALLOWAY
16.LEULUAI
17.SULLIVAN

...and then you could either have the system where we just go 18-34 for the reserve graders OR just leave them the same as they are now and when/if they do get called up to FG they get number 18 with their name or whatever.

This would make a stack of money for clubs with some players, you can't tell me kids wouldn't be wearing/saving up for or wanting a '13.BILL WILLIAMS' jersey if they were a bulldogs supporter or a '6.MARSHALL' jersey if they were a Tiger supporter etc.etc.

tiburon

Juniors
Ahh sorry but you get what I mean, 13.Williams jerseys then would selling like nothing else.

I'm with that idea and when it comes time for rep selections, the numbers are reset as in club numbers don't get carried over.

tiburon

Juniors
Agreed, numbers for rep. games shouldn't be the same number as the player wears for his club because he's playing for a diff team.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
tiburon said:
This would make a stack of money for clubs with some players, you can't tell me kids wouldn't be wearing/saving up for or wanting a '13.BILL WILLIAMS' jersey if they were a bulldogs supporter or a '6.MARSHALL' jersey if they were a Tiger supporter etc.etc.

you can buy numbers to go on jerseys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to have 13 with WILLIAMS on it you can do it, there's nothing stopping you!!!!

This merchandising argument is bullsh*t. If i want to wear stu kellys number I can buy the numbers from the sports shop, in Sydney Peter Wynn's has the numbers and will do it for you (for a price). They have the official numbers that the clubs use as well so you can have the bulldogs 2 coloured numbers or the eels gay loooking numbers

Dogs Of War

Coach
I would like to see players name on jerseys, it helps people who have a passing interest in the sport know who is who, easier to hook them into following the game if they think they at least know who is playing.

tiburon

Juniors
Pierced Soul said:
you can buy numbers to go on jerseys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to have 13 with WILLIAMS on it you can do it, there's nothing stopping you!!!!

This merchandising argument is bullsh*t. If i want to wear stu kellys number I can buy the numbers from the sports shop, in Sydney Peter Wynn's has the numbers and will do it for you (for a price). They have the official numbers that the clubs use as well so you can have the bulldogs 2 coloured numbers or the eels gay loooking numbers

....and? I didn't say you couldn't do it but if 13 is Williams one week and someone else the next a person is going to be less likely to buy a jersey with a name on it. Also why have names and numbers on a supporters jersey when the players don't even do it at current.

RICHO

Juniors
I don't mind the idea.
The "Top 25" of each club get the numbers 1-25, any other player used gets the next sequential number.

Given the choice, you'd find that most clubs would put their first choice starting line up in 1-13 anyway. So at the Sharks, Kimmorley would be the number 7. At the Eels, Smith would wear the 7. If they were out injured, their replacement would not wear the 7. In my opinion, this reinforces the standing of players at each club.

As for the merchandising issue, it might have an impact. Clubs could market a player and an associated number, thus increasing the potential of individual marketing of players.

Might be worth a discussion at the next NRL Club Chief Executive meeting.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
tiburon said:
but if 13 is Williams one week and someone else the next a person is going to be less likely to buy a jersey with a name on it.

of course williams number will be different every week as he's ALWAYS injured. SBW doesnt need a number the way he's going......

it's simple if you want a 13 for williams then buy 13!!!! if you dont want that then dont get it. I cant see all of a sudden bulldogs jerseys with the number 13 on them outselling current jersey sales. What happens if williams leaves the dogs in 2years? does everyone throw away their jumper with 13 cos it's not his number anymore? do we print jerseys for every player? "we need to order more luke covell jerseys..."

ozjet1

Misty Bee said:
The Oz cricket team tried this for one dayers. Shane Warn was so taken aback with the massive depth of Australian Sporting tradition that he close 23, reputedly Micheal Jordan's number.

Friggin Jordan. WTF?????
warne chose 23 as it was the number worn by his favourite St Kilda (he supports this team doesn't he?) footballer and mate Stewart Lowe.

Misty Bee said:
You would have the same mentality as my mate who'se phone number is his girlfriends measurenments.
is this remark directed at me?? i don't need a number on a player's back to know what position he's playing on the park.

Misty Bee said:
As for the names - fine. However, for a meagre sum you can buy Big League - which lists all the players.

I don't think we need the help, as much as the sports that do (ie Onion).

If Seppo sportsfans need help identifying players, it's their problem.
you're missing my point. i think it is another way for clubs to generate revenue by marketing their assets, in this case the players.

Misty Bee said:
We should NEVER allow tradition to be fiddled with.
clubs change their playing strips regularly (particularly your mob), and you're afraid about the tradition of number designation by position?? besides, its already been 'fiddled' with. do you remember the days when the front row was 11, 12, 13; and the back-row was 8, 9, 10???

ozjet1

mightybears said:
yeah the g word seems to be an afl thing, i was wondering about the derivation of the 2 terms in general
christ...ok...i've frikkin changed it already.

ozjet1

tiburon said:
I really do think it should be implemented. Not like the whole NFL things some people are suggesting....

it was hypothetical. the reason i did that way, i.e:
# 1-19 Fullbacks, Wingers, Centres
# 20-29 Five-eights, Halfbacks, Hookers
# 30-49 Props, Back-rowers
was to maintain some sort of playing role identification, and to ensure numbers did not get out of hand. if its open slather, every 18yo getting a gig at an NRL club will be asking for 69 (no pun intended).

numbering the squad from 1 to 25 will mean numbers above 13 will generally have no positional meaning at all, just like that aerial ping-pong game they play down south.

tiburon said:
finally, someone's thinking the same way. the clubs would benefit enormously...and their revenue opportunities have been restricted by the state govt.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
ozjet1 said:
I think the NRL should introduce this initiative. This will importantly benefit clubs merchandising possibilities with much needed funds to clubs, and also, allow supporters to display their favourite player to the football public.

In order for this concept to succeed though, players will need to have their own personal number. This would mean that players would not necessarily be wearing a number from 1 to 13 if they're a starter in any given match.

To prevent number allocations/choices getting absurd, and to keep some sort of number/position association in the game, I would suggest that the NRL regulate this issue by ensuring clubs/players are limited to a number designated by their postion. An example could be an allocation on a club's entire roster such as this:

# 1 to 19 - Fullbacks, Wingers & Centres;
# 20 to 29 - Five-Eights, Half-backs, Hookers;
# 30 to 49 - Props, Second-rowers, Locks.

Ofcourse, there are a minority of players who can fill a variety of positions but, generally (excluding centres come back-rowers & vice versa, or some hookers who can play as genuine forwards) players fill positions according to the groups above.

Do you think this would be a good idea? I think that as a professional sport and business, the NRL should look at ways of maximising marketing opportunities for clubs and the competition as a whole and this would be a great way of achieving this.

Its in the UK Super League if somebody hasnt noticed! :X

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I like the jerseys the way they are now. I don't think names should be added either, names should only be on the backs of representative shirts (City/Country, SoO, Internationals).

Striker

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
The Oz cricket team tried this for one dayers. Shane Warn was so taken aback with the massive depth of Australian Sporting tradition that he close 23, reputedly Micheal Jordan's number.
Friggin Jordan. WTF?????

Misty you will find the reason Shane Warne wore the number 23 is due to his personal sponsorship with Nike. After Jordan's long association with the Nike brand they asked other sporting personalities that had Nike sponsorship that if they can choose a number choose 23. Hence the reason David Beckham now wears the 23 at real madrid.

Front-Rower

First Grade
tiburon said:

i.e.
Wing, centre, fullback - 20-49
Forwards - 50-99
Hooker, 5/8, halfback - 1-19

BUT INSTEAD keep the numbers as they are and just add players names to the jerseys. Pretty simple really every year a player gets his number and keeps it for the year
so say for example with the Sharks we would have....

1.PEACHEY
2.SIMMONS
3.VAGANA
4.MELLOR
5.COVELL
6.DYKES
7.KIMMORLEY
8.STEVENS
9.HILDER
10.NUTLEY
11.WILLIAMS
12.BAILEY
13.GALLEN
14.MAIAVA
15.GALLOWAY
16.LEULUAI
17.SULLIVAN

...and then you could either have the system where we just go 18-34 for the reserve graders OR just leave them the same as they are now and when/if they do get called up to FG they get number 18 with their name or whatever.

Fair idea, but then why wouldn't the captain of the side have number 1 on his back? And the vice captain number 2?

I think the current number system is reasonable and should not really be changed. Its too petty to let the players choose what numbers they want to wear, and why you would need their names on the backs is not neccessary in my opinion, except in SOO, Test Matches and maybe even the Grand Final, for those people who don't watch the game that much but do watch those types of games.

Latest posts