What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player stats you don't agree with

Paullyboy

Coach
Im gonna start looking into editing a few files so that a real players face/appearance is available in the make a player screen. Then I will fix their stats properly.

SP

Bench
Michael Witt is pretty fit and quick

so the stats of him with

Stamina: 6
Fitness: 6
Speed: 7
Acceleration: 8

would more likely be

St: 8
F: 9
Sp: 9 or 8
Acc: 9

and also he is pretty aggresive so it would be around 8 or 9 instead of 6, unless he has calmed hisself down since 5 yrs ago :lol:

Paullyboy

Coach
I wouldnt have witt as a 8 or 9 for speed, thats as fast as Phil Graham from the Raiders, and he would be within cooee of him

Genius Freak

Juniors
Stacey Jones is too good in this game. I mean I recognise that he's a great player, but for someone of his size to be breaking tackles like Lauititi is a bit dodgy.

Goleel

Juniors
Witt is overrated in the game, his tackle break is huge. I think some players have good stats because they hadn't played many first grade games and in those games they did play their tackling was particularly good, e.g. Darren Mapp and James Webster hadn't played much first grade before this year and may have made 100% of their tackles or something like that, thus they get rated well based on the NRL's stats.

Having injured players rated 4 for fitness is a bit silly, and personally I think some of the forwards are underrated, guys like Hindmarsh, Tallis, Luke Bailey, etc.. should have higher break tackle and offload ratings, while Dane Carlaw having 8 speed is a bit silly, sure he's quick, but as quick as Jamie Lyon? No way.

Also, to whoever said this has the most inaccurate stats they've seen, that's just an unfair attack on a game you've been intent to bag since its been released. Inaccurate stats is Rugby 2004. Rugby League has some things slightly wrong, but it certainly has most things right. Most top players dominate games, and the best players are the most dangerous.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
NPK said:
I haven't looked at many of the ability scores, but I know that Lockyer has a 7 for fitness - he should have a 10. Hindmarsh also has a low fitness rating.
I would disagree here why a 10? - the guy makes 4 tackles per match -real games.
Suggest moving Lockyer to number 6 fulltime and all the QLD fans say he will have nothing left to attack with as he will be ran at all day and would have to tackle.
I think 7 is more than fair - no fullback should be more than 5 IMO.
Fitness is something the forwards have not pussy 4 tackles per game fullbacks!!!!!

Sean7

Juniors
Goleel said:
Also, to whoever said this has the most inaccurate stats they've seen, that's just an unfair attack on a game you've been intent to bag since its been released. Inaccurate stats is Rugby 2004. Rugby League has some things slightly wrong, but it certainly has most things right. Most top players dominate games, and the best players are the most dangerous.

Seeing as you are obviously referring to me, I guess I'll have to have something to say.

The most dominant players I've played against are Milford from The Sharks and I think either Joven Clake or Nathan Merrit from Souths, I can't remember which one, but they're the most unstoppable players I've played against and I don't think they're some of the best players in the league.

Seeing as I play as Parramatta, let's look at their players. Hmmm... Nathan Hindmarsh isn't rated too well, I think 5 for offloads, 4 for fitness and I think a 5 or 6 for tackle breaking ability too. You couldn't get much more wrong than that. Jamie Lyons is also crap, I don't even play him because Matt Peterson is the best back in the team and makes a much better centre than Lyon, Peterson is a machine. One of Lyons trademarks is his brilliant offloading ability, yet he's rated a 5. Hmmm... something is wrong here. As for Wade Mckinnon, what a champ. I could go on and on and I've never been dominated by one of the 'top' players like Fittler or Johns. Fittler's probably on the wing most of the time anyway, if Dykes' positional play for me at 5/8 is anything to go by.

Ah well, yes I have bagged the game a fair bit, mainly because I don't think it's that great, but I've also given my reasons (and pretty decent ones too), unlike some other laughable morons who get on here and say it's the best game they've ever played, why? Coz it's best. I know you may like it, fair enough, but I'm entitled to bag it if I don't think it's that great. I don't hate it, but it's way too heavily flawed to be considered great.

As I've said before, people keep comparing it to the first EA sports games and saying it kicks their arses. And you know what, it does, but those original EA sports games also kicked the arses of the other sport games around AT THE TIME. Shame this game is competing against what is around at the time NOW. Playing this game feels like I've travelled back in time about 5 years.

Hopefully the next one is great, but I want to play a great game NOW, not next year. The current game is a buddget quality title. It doesn't even have the basic features that a sport game requires these days, I'm sorry, but it's true. You may come back and say it's better than RUGBY 2004 and you may have a point, but it'd be a really bad one because RUGBY 2004 is s@#t, and is considered s@#t by just about everyone. There are a ton of dodgy games on the market that are better than the s@#ttiest games on the market. That doesn't make them good.

Goleel

Juniors
Rugby 2004 is shit, yes, but its player stats are absolutely horrible. Rugby League's player stats aren't at fault for being wrong, just the game balance. Fast players like Clarke, Merritt and (unfortunately) Milford do well in the game because of their speed. I'm using Parra and while I find Nathan Hindmarsh horribly ineffective (his offloading and break tackle are criminally low), Jamie Lyon is my top try scorer in most seasons (especially now on legend) because he breaks the first tackle, and is reasonably quick. Petersen is a machine though, you are right, his break tackle is huge.

Playing on legend I've found the top players really come to the fore, especially when playing against them. The best forwards and backs are almost impossible to stop, and when the defense is tighter the fast backs have less of an advantage.

I can accept that you've come up with some good reasons for disliking the game, I've had mates who also haven't liked it and even returned it because they can't stand the niggling faults, but I feel I've persisted with the game and find it great fun to play despite the faults and bugs, especially on the tougher difficulty levels where a lot of the AI defensive faults are remedied and it takes some great plays to score points. I'm hoping the game improves as it goes on too,.

By the way, playing against Brad Fittler on league god, you'll wish you had a damn gun to stop the bloke, he breaks that many damn tackles. Don't get me started on Utai and Tallis, either. One thing the top difficulties do is make the top break tackle and agility players far more dangerous, for some reason the lesser players who may break a lot of tackles on seasoned mode stay about the same, while the good players come into their own.

I agree with you, the stats aren't perfect, but they certainly aren't terrible. I think the game balance is more at fault than the stats, and I also think that using official stats from NRL stats has hurt the game a little since basing the game on pure numbers discounts how good some players are. Sure Jamie Lyon doesn't offload that many balls compared to the NRL's top offloader stats, but in comparison to how many touches he gets he's one of the best going around. That doesn't get taken into account, and that's why I think the stats need to be worked on. They certainly aren't the worst ever though.

New Zealand are definitely overrated though, in saying that. Some bias crept in there.

Anonymous

Juniors
Richard Villasanti is sh*t in the game. Ifeta Paleasina is better than him in the game.

That's fair enough, Paleaaesina is better than Villa when he's on the field, only thing is his poor fitness which is accurately represented in the game.

I was surprised by how crappy Nathan Hindmarsh is, on the whole the "name" players do have good ratings, but it's almost as if Sidhe/the experts consulted didn't realise who Hindmarsh was or something.

Also Francis Meli is crap while Justin Murphy is good! That really annoyed me.

And Joe Vagana is absolutely useless which I don't agree with, ditto Lesley Vainokolo. If Utai gets 10 for tackle break than Vainokolo and Meli should have at least 9s.

Anonymous

Juniors
Hopefully the next one is great, but I want to play a great game NOW, not next year. The current game is a buddget quality title. It doesn't even have the basic features that a sport game requires these days, I'm sorry, but it's true. You may come back and say it's better than RUGBY 2004 and you may have a point, but it'd be a really bad one because RUGBY 2004 is s@#t, and is considered s@#t by just about everyone. There are a ton of dodgy games on the market that are better than the s@#ttiest games on the market. That doesn't make them good.

Again respect and value your opinion but think you are miles off the mark.

Also I think you'll find that most reputable gaming reviewers are giving the game around 8/10 and fairly high praise.

izzo

Juniors
Joven Clarke getting 4 for tackling when his probably the bravest kid his size in tackling

NPK

Bench
Mr Angry said:
NPK said:
I haven't looked at many of the ability scores, but I know that Lockyer has a 7 for fitness - he should have a 10. Hindmarsh also has a low fitness rating.
I would disagree here why a 10? - the guy makes 4 tackles per match -real games.
Suggest moving Lockyer to number 6 fulltime and all the QLD fans say he will have nothing left to attack with as he will be ran at all day and would have to tackle.
I think 7 is more than fair - no fullback should be more than 5 IMO.
Fitness is something the forwards have not pussy 4 tackles per game fullbacks!!!!!

Hmmm...I can't actually see the link between the amount of tackles made per game and a player's fitness. Lockyer is one of the fittest players in the NRL.
By the way, the reason he makes only 4 tackles per match is because he only needs to do 4 tackles per match.

Goleel

Juniors
Unfortunately bravery counts for little when you couldn't stop your own grandmother from scoring a try. Clarke can't tackle to save his life.

izzo

Juniors
Goleel said:
Unfortunately bravery counts for little when you couldn't stop your own grandmother from scoring a try. Clarke can't tackle to save his life.

funny that since in the 2002 game against st george he did all 5 tackles in that set?

hes taken down front rowers on the burst?

hes got tackling skills

The_Savage_1

Juniors
izzo said:
Goleel said:

funny that since in the 2002 game against st george he did all 5 tackles in that set?

hes got tackling skills

well if hes so fast and has "tackling skills" why the hell isnt he playing 1st grade!

izzo

Juniors
The_Savage_1 said:
izzo said:
Goleel said:

hes got tackling skills

well if hes so fast and has "tackling skills" why the hell isnt he playing 1st grade!

His Size