What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players not playing on Easter Sunday

Inferno

Coach
Balmain_Boy said:
Given it (as well as days like Good Friday and Christmas day) is a public holiday, most people DO get the day off. Not sure where you're coming from on this one.

My point was if you take a job where you know you will be working on religious holidays, you should either accept it or get another job.

Razor said:
So you'd work Christmas day? And not even ask for the day off if they asked you to work?

Well the place Im working right now is closed on Christmas day. But if you had a job where you were required to work Christmas, and you know that when taking the job, I don't know too many places to would be happy for you to say "sorry can't work it"

dubby

Bench
This sounds wrong. Easter Sunday has no religious significance (on the christian calender). Christ was crucified on Friday, rose from the tomb on Monday. Why can't they play on Sunday? (presumes they are christian).

I think its almost funny that most Aussies have no opinion or belief in christianity, yet celebrate the birth of Christ and his crucifixion and resurrection, albeit with different views of course. (family gathering and chocolate).

If we could only celebrate these days if we were only true christians, there would be a massive stink. The true meaning of religious holidays in this country have been lost and entwined with a modern view, so as not to offend anybody.
If you are not a Christian, why should you get to take time off over Easter and Xmas, if you do not beleive in God or Christ? These religous events have become paganised, and transformed into another meaning. My point is, only celebrate it if you mean to. Not with Santa/Easter Bunny. z
How many public schools still teach Easter as the death/resurrection of CHrist? Or Xmas the birth of CHrist?

Razor

Coach
They are getting paid to play. The boss should rule here and make them play.

It's called discrimination by not giving them unpaid leave for religious reasons.
Same as it's discrimination by not giving females unpaid leave to give birth.

drake

First Grade
I think fair call to them. It's one day and the most important to their faith.

Would you really want two blokes playing thinking about having broken their religious beliefs. Do a better service sitting it out.

Plus making them play when it's against their beliefs is a nice way to get sued.

*Paul*

Juniors
UndertakerMike said:
A former AFL CEO (the Demons :lol:) was not allowed to attend any Sunday game.
I think the VFL didn't even play on Sundays at all for many years? Was it so as not to bring on a plague of locusts, or fire raining from the sky, or whatever bizarre things these people believe are real?

IanG

Coach
Bit like how Cricket Test Matches in England for a long time had Sunday as a rest day

JK

dubby said:
If you are not a Christian, why should you get to take time off over Easter and Xmas, if you do not beleive in God or Christ?

Because my work makes me take enforced shutdown over the period.

I am not happy about it either. I would prefer to take my leave when I want to go away on holiday, not some time chosen out of a story book. :evil:

sunny

UndertakerMike said:
A former AFL CEO (the Demons :lol:) was not allowed to attend any Sunday game.

That was Joe Gutnick, and Saturday was the the day in question I believe ( I assume so since Gutnick is jewish)

mightybears

Bench
in the 1920's sydney had a jewish rugby league comp for a few years,
unless they were reform/lefty jewish, i'd imagine the comp was played on sundays!

Latest posts