What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players on Report

Scott

Bench
Byrne is playing quite well with the Lions. However, if Lance is suspended, then i'd put Mannering back out to left centre and give either Evarn or Lauaki a start on add Fai to the bench.

MKEB...

Staff member
The two man slam tackle. If they are going to be consistant, then the second man in should get 1-2 weeks. On past precedents, Andrew Johns got that a couple of years ago.
But he should also get something said about the forearm after the tackle was completed.

Civinaceva should coptwo weekss for a careless tackle. Lance and Wade will unlucky if they have charges to answer to.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
I actually agreed with SBW's sending off. I don't really want to see everyone taking out "Glass jaw" Johns every game. The guy was stretchered off because of foul play reckless or careless.

Regardless of who the bloke is on the stretcher, I think if it gets to that level, the ref really has to start thinking about sending the offending player off.

If that was the case, you'll start getting players faking serious injuries just to get a quality player from the other team sent off. I don't think the seriousness of the injury should come into it. Injuries are a part of rugby league and are just bad luck. The offence is the only thing that should be taken into account in my opinon, and there SBW shouldn't have been sent off. His actions were careless, not intentional.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Brad Joyce said:
If that was the case, you'll start getting players faking serious injuries just to get a quality player from the other team sent off. I don't think the seriousness of the injury should come into it. Injuries are a part of rugby league and are just bad luck. The offence is the only thing that should be taken into account in my opinon, and there SBW shouldn't have been sent off. His actions were careless, not intentional.

The ref is instantly going to think something stinks, if he sees a player off on the medicab, only to see him back on later in the game.

Of course the ref is going to think harder about what to do, if he sees a player KO'ed and about to be carted off. I'm talking about this happening as a result of foul play (head high tackles), there is nothing accidental about them.

You make a swinging arm tackle into the shoulder area, there is a good chance you will hit the ball and the momentum will follow through to the head area or the chest area. That's the chance you take.

What I don't want to see is a bunch of Patrick Nuffys going on Kamikaze missions and taking out star players. You start just placing those guys on report and not sending them off, coaches and players might start thinking devious thoughts.

Just like one of Canberra's many nuffys did that cheap shot on Inglis. Would you like to see that continue on a regular basis???

Brad Joyce

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
I'm talking about this happening as a result of foul play (head high tackles), there is nothing accidental about them.

More often than not, I believe they are accidental (usually they're just careless). Who's a ref to say whether a player tackled someone high intentionally or accidentally. You just can't do it. Shall we wheel out lie detector machine?

NZ Warrior said:
Yep, Carroll will be charged for lifting. Wasn't Thaiday also involved with that tackle? Whoever the 2nd tackler was, they sure didn't help with Luck's positioning. So they may also be in trouble.

i think it was civoniceva as well

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Brad Joyce said:
More often than not, I believe they are accidental (usually they're just careless). Who's a ref to say whether a player tackled someone high intentionally or accidentally. You just can't do it. Shall we wheel out lie detector machine?

In the judiciary system, they have a charge for intentional, reckless or careless high tackles, there are no charges for accidental high tackles.

I'm not asking the ref to determine between a reckless or careless high tackle. I'm asking him to take some initiative back and punish a player there and then, if the incident is severe enough. Don't let them wait until the judiciary charges them.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
In the judiciary system, they have a charge for intentional, reckless or careless high tackles, there are no charges for accidental high tackles.

I'm not asking the ref to determine between a reckless or careless high tackle. I'm asking him to take some initiative back and punish a player there and then, if the incident is severe enough. Don't let them wait until the judiciary charges them.

But lets be fair, SBW's tackle was pretty lame. We've seen at least a dozen tackles the same or worse in round 2 and they've been put on report at worst. Just because SBW hit the sweet spot on Johns's head means he gets sent off. Where's the consistancy there?

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Brad Joyce said:
But lets be fair, SBW's tackle was pretty lame. We've seen at least a dozen tackles the same or worse in round 2 and they've been put on report at worst. Just because SBW hit the sweet spot on Johns's head means he gets sent off. Where's the consistancy there?

You are totally missing what I'm saying to you. Yes, we have seen worse tackles so far this year. But of those worse tackles, how many players got stretchered off as a result??? I'm pretty sure the answer = 0. The fact that Johns got stretchered off, is reason enough for SBW to get his marching orders.

This separates SBW's tackle from all the other "worse" tackles, and I'm sick of people crying out "Where's the consistency???". When we get another player carted off due to a high tackle, then we can expect the ref to march them too. If they don't, then consistency can be brought up.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
You are totally missing what I'm saying to you. Yes, we have seen worse tackles so far this year. But of those worse tackles, how many players got stretchered off as a result??? I'm pretty sure the answer = 0. The fact that Johns got stretchered off, is reason enough for SBW to get his marching orders.

This separates SBW's tackle from all the other "worse" tackles, and I'm sick of people crying out "Where's the consistency???". When we get another player carted off due to a high tackle, then we can expect the ref to march them too. If they don't, then consistency can be brought up.

So therefore you wan't players punished by the extent of what the injury they have incurred on the player they have commited the crime?

In that case a lot of players won't be able to get punished until MRI scans have been taken etc etc. Also as I suggested earlier, lesser players will fake injuries in order to get quality opposition players sent off.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
We'll end up with soccer, players will be diving left right and centre.

Injuries are part of the game. League is tough, pysical sport, you've just got to deal with what comes your way. To use a famous quote from one of our Union counterparts, 'we ain't playing tiddley winks ref'.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Brad, I'm talking about on-field punishment. The judiciary is whole different story.

I'm also talking about a player getting stretchered off. Trainers can sell anything and tell a player to stay down. But if you call the medicab out, you don't expect that player to come back. I'm saying that if the stretcher or medicab comes out, the ref has to look at sending the offending player off.

Anything but that instance, I'm perfectly fine with the ref cautioning the offending player and putting them on report. I hope you can see what I'm getting at here.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
I'm also talking about a player getting stretchered off. Trainers can sell anything and tell a player to stay down. But if you call the medicab out, you don't expect that player to come back. I'm saying that if the stretcher or medicab comes out, the ref has to look at sending the offending player off.

And I'm saying to you, if it becomes standard practise that if a player gets carried off on a medicab, the offending player must also be sent from the field, players/trainers will be bringing medicabs out left right and centre, ala soccer. Teams do anything to win, and if faking a serious injury to a player (even if they have to sit out the rest of the match), and it gets a quality player in the opposition sent off (which means they're down to 12 players for the rest of the match), meaning it's 12 vs 13, teams will do it.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Brad Joyce said:
And I'm saying to you, if it becomes standard practise that if a player gets carried off on a medicab, the offending player must also be sent from the field, players/trainers will be bringing medicabs out left right and centre, ala soccer. Teams do anything to win, and if faking a serious injury to a player (even if they have to sit out the rest of the match), and it gets a quality player in the opposition sent off (which means they're down to 12 players for the rest of the match), meaning it's 12 vs 13, teams will do it.

You're just being paranoid now. I didn't say the ref should immediately send the offending player off after a player is carted off, just that he should strongly think about it.

Next thing you'll be worried about is when a player receives a head-high tackle, the trainer will have a small blade that cuts the player so they can get a free interchange blood bin, if the offending player gets put on report.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
Next thing you'll be worried about is when a player receives a head-high tackle, the trainer will have a small blade that cuts the player so they can get a free interchange blood bin, if the offending player gets put on report.

Hey, I wouldn't put it past some of them. Guys like Toovey, Ron Palmer etc, pretty sneaky characters at the best of times.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Hohaia & McKinnon have escaped a charge. Tonie Carroll will miss 2-3 weeks with a dangerous throw charge.

Hohaia was a tad lucky, but good news none the less.

Brad Joyce

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
Hohaia was a tad lucky, but good news none the less.

No offence, but I think you're a bit soft when it comes to high your high tackles. It's
dirty c**p like what Carroll did to Sione last week that we should be trying to stamp out. Good to see what goes around comes around and Carroll gets done this week.