What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players pledge pay cut for Wiki

peter_raiders

Juniors
Rugby league By Peter Fitzgerald
Wednesday, 23 June 2004
Canberra Times

Senior players at the Canberra Raiders are believed to be involved in a secret, behind-the-scenes bid to persuade club veteran Ruben Wiki to remain at the club for at least one more season.

The handful of players participating in the action - understood to be led by captain Simon Woolford - are considering deferring part of their contract payments from next year's salary cap so the Raiders can increase their offer to Wiki.

Under the plan, the players would receive the missing part of their 2005 salaries during the 2006-2007 financial year.

On the surface, it's a viable plan. The Raiders have 10 players coming off contract at the end of the 2005 season.

Right now, the club has room in its salary cap to accommodate some wage 'spill' in 2006.

But among those 10 players are expensive re-signings Clinton Schifcofske, Ryan O'Hara, Ian Hindmarsh and talented youngster Todd Carney.

If Raiders management accepts the players' offer, it could create a cash crisis in 2006.

John Brady, director of media and communications at the NRL, said such a deferred-payment scheme fell within salary cap guidelines.

"It really doesn't worry us how a club gets to the $3.25 million, as long as they don't exceed that amount," he said.

"It is up to each club to decide how they reach that amount. If players wish to defer payments until the following season, that is up to them."

Suspicions were aroused at a bizarre Raiders training session yesterday, when the Raiders' media manager Michael Earsman said Woolford would be making an important statement.

But after a brief meeting with Woolford following training, Earsman retracted his claim a short time later, saying the captain would not be talking to the media.

Last night the Raiders refused to elaborate on yesterday's events.

Wiki's current three-year contract with the Raiders expires at the end of this season - and there is no shortage of eligible suitors lining up for his attention.

Neither Wiki, nor his manager, Jim Banaghan, is in a position to negotiate with other clubs before the NRL's anti-tampering deadline falls on June 30.

Both the Manly Sea Eagles and English Super League club Wigan are believed to be preparing substantial offers for the New Zealand captain.

Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay arrives in Australia next week on the pretext of attending State of Origin III at Telstra Stadium on July 7.

Should he remain in Australia after June 30, the timing of his trip would allow Lindsay to hold discussions with Banaghan regarding Wiki.

Lindsay told a Sydney newspaper on Monday that nothing had been arranged with Australian player managers - but could be.

"I have got nobody on my list ... I will obviously speak to any manager that wants to have a cup of coffee and a spot of lunch," he said.

Raiders coach Matt Elliott yesterday claimed to be unaware of the players' move to keep their captain.

But he did concede the chase to secure Wiki is "very challenging".

"Ruben is such a great player, both on and off the field, that obviously we want to keep him here," he said.

"We are trying very hard to convince him to stay, but the reality of the situation is that that process is not always easy.

"Ruben has been an amazing player for this club for so many years and, as I've said before, it would be tragic to see him leave."

The Colonel

Immortal
Can you guys explain why, with the release of Drew and Evans plus the fact you guys are particularly active in the market, why players would need to take a pay cut to keep Wiki? Surely they wouldn't have signed Smith to that big a deal? :?

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think its problem with his manager
I cant imagine rubes wanting to play for anyone else in the NRL but the player managers are the scum of the earth, i honestly think Wiki will be at canberra next season, and im pretty sure Monaghan will aswell 8) :mrgreen:

The Colonel

Immortal
But would your club be that close to the cap?

In all honesty the majority of your top 25 wouldn't be that highly paid I would have thought. Especially having had $280k to throw at Kite and re-sign both Wiki and Monaghan as they have said I would thought there would be a decent gap. Not many of your guys are off contract this year are they?

BAY72

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
Can you guys explain why, with the release of Drew and Evans plus the fact you guys are particularly active in the market, why players would need to take a pay cut to keep Wiki? Surely they wouldn't have signed Smith to that big a deal? :?
Agreed, I would like to know this as well!

Raider_69

Post Whore
there is no way we are near the cap
either that or our management has alot to answer for

Evens, Drew, M.Monaghan, Lolesi, Rutcho all left/leaving without any signing (except PNG steve and Russo) So thats good for atleast 300k, smith is probably on about 200k so i think we should have at least 100k left

add to that our insider recons one will retire and another will be released.. so we should be sweet to get rubes and joely

azza

Juniors
There has been plenty of discussion of this in other threads.

If we are anywhere near close to the cap our management should be shot, hung, and quartered.

If Wiki is getting tempted by huge offers from England well, as much as it pains me to say it, we shoud let him go. Deferring payments of other players for next yrar combined with several players coming off contract will lead to a major crisis for the club. If we have put our best offer to him and he wants more, well, at 31, I am afraid we will have to cut out losses for the good of the club. Deferring payments is a huge gamble and would speak volumes of the ineptitude of the people managing our club.

Raider_69

Post Whore
to an extent i agree azza
the more i think about it, the more i think what a mess it will be if we defer payments :?

greeneyed

First Grade
But the need for the "senior" players to do this finally proves my point!!!!!!! Indeed we are up against our cap, as I have been suggesting for ages, and yet we have a squad that is not even top 8 at the moment.

So, stop pretending we aren't near the cap. WE ARE!!!!

Make your own conclusions about management.

Bay56

First Grade
greeneyed said:
But the need for the "senior" players to do this finally proves my point!!!!!!! Indeed we are up against our cap, as I have been suggesting for ages, and yet we have a squad that is not even top 8 at the moment.

Greeneyed .... IMO management has finally realised (as have some senior players) it needs some new injection in the club and has therefore put aside a fighting fund for that purpose ... the question now to be answered is do they have the nous to get that signature.

GreenGuy

Bay56 said:
greeneyed said:

Greeneyed .... IMO management has finally realised (as have some senior players) it needs some new injection in the club and has therefore put aside a fighting fund for that purpose ... the question now to be answered is do they have the nous to get that signature.

I'm dredding the answer to that

Raider Ultra

Bench
Perhaps the management is showing some foresight and leaving some under the cap for the amount of contract upgrades that will be required next season. If we are near the cap, then we won't be able to retain Rhino etc next year.

greeneyed

First Grade
No they don't. Let's face it. The best possible outcome now is that we keep Wiki and Monaghan. And we have signed Jason Smith in exchange for Drew. You tell me if we have a better team next year then.........

greeneyed, you can be cynical all you want, that's your perogative. But you're talking about things like they'll definitely happen. You have no idea what plans the club has, they may intend to throw huge money at Brent Tate and Frank Pritchard or anyone else, we don't really know.

innsaneink

Referee
Thats a very dangerous thing to do IMO. Who knows what could happen between now and '06.
Its just like credit.....it'll end up costing more in 06 than what its worth now.