What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players pledge pay cut for Wiki

innsaneink

Referee
Thats a very dangerous thing to do IMO. Who knows what could happen between now and '06.
Its just like credit.....it'll end up costing more in 06 than what its worth now.

greeneyed

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
greeneyed, you can be cynical all you want, that's your perogative. But you're talking about things like they'll definitely happen. You have no idea what plans the club has, they may intend to throw huge money at Brent Tate and Frank Pritchard or anyone else, we don't really know.

OK... I will pay that... come back and tell me how wrong I was when we sign either of them... I will apologise to the whole forum when we sign Brent Tate and Frank Pritchard whoever he is.....

innsaneink

Referee
greeneyed said:
OK... I will pay that... come back and tell me how wrong I was when we sign either of them... I will apologise to the whole forum when we sign Brent Tate and Frank Pritchard whoever he is.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thatd be right! :lol:

Christ you whinge a fair bit greeneyed. You would have to be one of the more negative posters on this place. Will the team be better next year? Of course. J Smith is a smart buy. Why? Because they don't want to make the same mistake the club made with Finch (and to a certain extent McLinden), by bringing in an inexperienced young kid to guide the team around. Instead, using their wisdom the club has found a proven match winner, who has the ability to take the club all the way. Sure he's a little long in the tooth, but that means nothing. If he stays fit, it will work. Look at Martina Navratilova, shes 67 (or less, either way) and in the second round of wimbledon. It's a gamble, but I am backing the club on this one.

All the club needs to do now is sign Mr Wiki and Mr Monaghan. The injection of Smith will stabilise the halves, with the introduction of Carney and Campese at their own pace, not too early, not too late. The only other player worth having a crack at is Stuart Fielden.

innsaneink

Referee
greeneyed said:
innsaneink said:
greeneyed said:
Insane... like we need YOUR opinion?
Yeah....its called democracy...aint it great!

This isn't a vote, so how is it called democracy? You are so incredibly insane....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No it isnt a vote, that why it isnt called an election! You are so incredibly funny. :(
Will someone explain to greeney what a democracy is, in the context I was referring to.

azza

Juniors
Schif_Happens said:
Christ you whinge a fair bit greeneyed. You would have to be one of the more negative posters on this place. .

Greeneyed - I hate to say it but... I told you so :p :lol:

azza

Juniors
Jason Smith is a good signing BAR one major worry - he is injury prone and he may spend more time on the sideline than on the park. If so it will be an utter waste as it won't help Carney and Campese develop.

azza said:
Jason Smith is a good signing BAR one major worry - he is injury prone and he may spend more time on the sideline than on the park. If so it will be an utter waste as it won't help Carney and Campese develop.

That's not such a bad thing though IMO azza. I think it's safe to say that when Smith plays, it'd be likely that Campo and/or Carney wouldn't. If he is injured, that would allow Carney and/or Campo to get more time in first grade and they'll be forced to adjust more quickly. Plus, he'd be able to give valuable advice and all that mentor type of thing as well. I'd love to see him play every game of the year, but if it doesn't happen it won't be the end of the world.

azza

Juniors
Yes, but to be honest I'd prefer Campese at Lock, Carney and McLinden interchanging in the halves alongside Smith. That would give us great organisation for next year, if Smith stays on the park. I reckon we will improve hugely with Smith there as it is our biggest problem - having a leader. The worry is, it's only a short term solution and may not be a solution at all if he keeps getting injured. And when he goes, I just hope Carney is ready to step up to the plate - I still don't know much about this kid. I would like to see Elliot at least give him 35-40 mins this week.

EDIT: I Forgot to add... Campese in place of Croker who, despite being a great player for us, is becoming a real liability in terms of injury. Shame too as he use to be a real durable player. Maybe this is the player who rumours suggest will be retiring this year... if so, I wonder if we can put Wiki under the 10 year salary cap discount?

thickos

First Grade
I agree with Insane :shock: Deferring payments is an incredibly dangerous thing to do. We have to face economic reality here. Do what the players propose and we can kiss goodbye to a few of the people off contract at the end of 2005.

That list includes:

Schif
Rhino
Moggles
Hindy
Germ

Don't get me wrong, I love Ruben Wiki. He is one of the greatest Raiders of all time, and will be a NZRL Hall of Famer. But in this case surely we have to consider letting him go. For the club. :cry:

Edwahu

Bench
Frankly I am beggining to agree with the Roosters about the cap. It needs to be raised. Losing Wiki will be extremely damaging to us on and off the park.

Why should the game be held back by what would be a minority of clubs not been able to spend more then 3.25.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Worst move ever by the club was using the 10 year player for Croker not Wiki. If it was Wiki we'd be fine right now. Croker wouldn't attract as much attention as Wiki on the market.

azza

Juniors
Yeah but is Croker the one who has been rumoured to retire this year? If so maybe we could use the 10 year discount for Wiki.

Latest posts