What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players pledge pay cut for Wiki

greeneyed

First Grade
It says in the Big League that we offered Kite $300,000, but have offered "half that" to Wiki, who gets a 10 per cent concession under the salary cap (not sure that last bit is right... I thought you could only have one 10 year player attracting concessions and that player is Croker). They claim "some clubs" are concerned about his judiciary record, and suggest there should be a clause in his contract that involves penalties for missed matches.....

Bay56

First Grade
Greenyeyed ... yes I read that to and find it extremely hard to believe. If it is true, as I have stated before in this forum, SACK THE LOT OF THEM !!!

azza

Juniors
Schif_Happens said:
thickos said:
Sigh.

I'm not sure what depresses me more, the news over Wiki or this forum. :cry:

Come on people, I know this is a terrible, terrible time of year but we need to stick together. Conflict of opinion is fine but without sounding like a try-hard, we the fans are the best asset the Raiders have! We need to support the club through these tough times.

As for Rube, I never thought I'd say it but we have to let him go. For the good of the club. I'm shattered but if keeping him for ONE season ruins us for the two seasons after that it is not worth it. He is priceless but we will have to learn to play without him eventually. And we cannot sacirifice others for him. Even Ruben would admit that.

That makes some sense, a forum full of negatives will always be depressing. Hence my outburst yesterday. I know I got (still am) sick and tired of reading rubbish like sack the coach, sack management, the sky is falling down! It's so easy to be an arm-chair critic, but being in the coal face it would be completely different. You are paid to make things happen within the budget, I deal with this fact every day at work. An example being in recent months lots of the senior players at work have had to be released because the organisation simply can't afford to keep them. It's a tough world, but it's business. The team will carry on regardless, making significant contributions to Australia, even without the old heads. Losing Joel or Ruben, the club will have to take that on the chin, and move on. If the money men at the club cannot afford to pay for a player, then so be it. Silly season is exactly what it sounds like, silly.

While a wonderful display of rhetoric, it actually proves the points of "Whingers" as you so eloquently call them such as Bay56, myself, and greeneyed. A professional organisation DOES NOT go backward from what it has achieved in the past, especially the recent past. It goes forward. Hence the annoyance expressed by people who pay their hard earned money to go see the Raiders play. We took enormous leaps forward last year and I am sure every supporter was very proud of the club for what it achieved after several years in the wilderness. So to see all that undone by this season's woes is VERY disappointing.

Can you tell me one way in which this team has gone forward this year? Our away record is back to its worst, our attack is worse than last year, so is our defence, and we have already been outside the top 8 for several weeks when we didn't step outside the top 4 all of last year. How is that the hallmark of professionalism, given what we achieved last year?

I understand what you're saying azza.

But there is a group of people that you're forgetting... the players.

They're the ones that haven't been doing as well as last year. Sure, management didn't recruit anyone, maybe they should've. Yes, Elliot has made some strange selections.

But still, when it comes down to the crunch, its the players who go out on the field and perform, not management and not the coach. Surely the players have been coached and taught a lot in their lives to know what to do on a football field, they're just not doing it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
indeed that is a fair point IBG
But my point is this

If the players dont perform yet continually get selected that IS the coaches fault, if the team plays poorly thanks to these love children and the team is under prepaired, that once again is the coaches fault

then if bad choices are made and management dont step in, they too must shoulder some blame, point is, at some point during off season we went backward

And everyone involved in the organisation must take some blame for that, from management to coach, to trainers, to Ball Boys :p , to players

As much as he is an idiot, let's not kid ourselves, Bulgarelli is not the only reason why we've been losing.

Drew was one of the main reasons we've lost because he plays in such a crucial position, and he's been punted.

There are still 15 or 16 players out there who are more than capable of contributing to a winning team.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I personally hold bulgarelli responceable for quite a number of points against us this year, crap defence and silly penalties have been the order of the year for him

ohh and cruital knock ons

skeepe

Immortal
I kinda agree IBG... look how much better we went without Drew last week. If Bulgarelli didn't come up with that error at a crucial time in the match, who knows what the result would have been.

I don't buy this argument some people have said that maybe Bulgarelli is our only option in the centres while Monas is out. Blood someone like Franciscus or Milne, I'm sure they're dying for a start and their form at present is fantastic.