What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

juro

Bench
On topic, if the lads don't want to sing it, they shouldn't have to.

The last 200 years has been less than kind to them.

The anthem is shit, it should be Waltzing Matilda, and John Williamson should exclusively be only able to sing it.
So you'd prefer a song about a bloke who steals a sheep, gets busted by the cops and kills himself? And if people are struggling with the word girt, how do they go with jumbucks and coolibahs?

DC_fan

Coach
TBH I don't know why they would make it public. They could just stand there and not sing without the added attention.

That would not have given them the publicity they craved for in getting their message across. It’s not about not singing the anthem, after all a lot of people don’t sing the anthem. It is all about why they don’t want to sing it.

So you'd prefer a song about a bloke who steals a sheep, gets busted by the cops and kills himself? And if people are struggling with the word girt, how do they go with jumbucks and coolibahs?

Well I was kidding, but f**k it, why not?

Theft, anti-authoritarian sentiment and suicide of adult men are all issues in modern Australia.

N.B. I am still kidding in case your sarcasm meter is busted.

betcats

Referee

Given we are a nation of convicts that is a better representation of us then Advance Australia fair. Im not even joking.

Coolibah trees are iconic.

Bloke

Juniors
I’d say it’s not the actual lyrics but who they represented at the time of writing it.

It’s absolutely disgraceful this country’s history towards indigenous people.
My generation was taught zero about them at school.
f**king horrendous attitude by the education dept and govt.

Anyway thats just my opinion.

:clap_tone1::punch_tone1: Geez Carch, this is a side of you I’ve not seen before. Respect.

Springs09

Juniors
Bang on. I hope so too.

It surprises me people don't understand how bad that anthem is.

So explain it.

I don't like it as a song. I don't see how it offends anyone though.

If it's 'it was written in the 1800s' - so what? So was Waltzing Matilda. It wasn't written with any malice towards anyone.

Has this been brought up before this year's all-stars game? I've never seen anyone care.

Indigenous Australians have a lot more pressing issues than a f**king song
https://www.2gb.com/first-aboriginal-cabinet-minister-doesnt-support-changing-the-national-anthem/

Yorrick Hunt

Juniors
Players should be forced to audition for State of Origin by singing the national anthem to the selectors who will be sitting in chairs with their backs to the player. The selectors turn their chairs around if they like the singing. The player only makes the team if all the selectors turn around. The first 17 to turn all the selectors chairs make up the team.

Mate against mate. Grate against grate.

no name

Coach
So explain it.

If it's 'it was written in the 1800s' - so what? So was Waltzing Matilda. It wasn't written with any malice towards anyone.

Has this been brought up before this year's all-stars game? I've never seen anyone care.

https://www.2gb.com/first-aboriginal-cabinet-minister-doesnt-support-changing-the-national-anthem/
It was written at a time were Aboriginal people were not considered citizens of Australia.
Aboriginal people don’t consider the land ‘young’ and treatment of Aboriginal people at the time wouldn’t really fit into the ‘free’ category.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So explain it.

Ooooooh whataboutism! My favourite.

You know that Indigenous issues (and indeed all ills of society) aren't mutually exclusive, and can be dealt with concurrently, or in their own way? It's not up to you to tell Indigenous Australians what their issues are, or which they should place priority on.

The anthem itself is fairly clear in its anglo-centricity, to the exclusion of others. The word 'Fair' itself in the title and chorus line is itself the subject of debate as to whether it actually just means 'white' as per the originally written song. "For we are young and free" is particularly galling to Indigenous people as well.

And that's without reviewing that awful fifth verse someone quoted a page or two back.

As for has it been brought up before and RE: All-Stars, yes, that's what sparked this current wave of pot-stirring rubbish, Walker and others being asked about it: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-wont-sing-national-anthem-at-state-of-origin

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Players should be forced to audition for State of Origin by singing the national anthem to the selectors who will be sitting in chairs with their backs to the player. The selectors turn their chairs around if they like the singing. The player only makes the team if all the selectors turn around. The first 17 to turn all the selectors chairs make up the team.

Mate against mate. Grate against grate.
giphy.gif

I honestly don't seen the big deal. If they didn't sing it without announcing their intentions of not singing it publicly first, no one would have even noticed...

mave

Coach
I don't care if these blokes dont want to sing the anthem. Good luck to them.

Just like no-one should care that I have no interest in the whole welcome to country thing, or women's round, or anything else at that time.

8pm Wednesday night is about the footy.
Fk the rest of it.