What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who used to be good but then lost the plot

Kiwi

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:
bullsh*t, Wendell had nothing on Doogs. How many times did Macdougal smash Wendell all over the park when the Broncos were playing the Knights?

Lote was the best winger in the world, both Doogs and Tahu were better than Wendell and not far behind Lote.

Mad Dog went great when he played, Sailor was difinately better though, better than Tahu as well, Tahu was a nuffy back then getting made to look good thanks to Gidley's flick passes.. Salior returned the favour with interest plenty of times against the Knights.

But it's probably another we'll have to disagree on, so there is probably no point debating it.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Tahu's try scoring record speaks for itself, Doogs was injured a lot, but when he played he was better than Wendell. Wendell went soft in League, and then in his last ever game he played bullsh*t good.

Mr Saab

Referee
playing league is also about durability...that is something mcdougal wouldnt know anything about.
Took him 10 yrs to play 100 games!
Even when fit McDougal had nothing on Sailor.

Kiwi

First Grade
The fact that when fit, no matter who else was fit the Australian wingers were Sailor and Tuqiri much in the same way Lockyer was fullback, end of story. No one other than the guys that hated Sailor questioned it.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Sailor never scored a try in Origin. That has to say something

Tate -just because he wears an Oz jumper doesn't mean he's a decent player. references: Shaun Berrigan, Brad Myers.

Ben Walker was going to be the next Langer.

And if it was a list of players I hated, I surely would have replaced Tate and Civo with Tallis. Fortunately I can read a thread title. Unlike some!

Meanie

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Ben Walker was going to be the next Langer.

No, he just happened to be the guy who came after Langer therefore the comparisons were unavoidable. I don't know how many people actually thought he'd be the next Alfie.

Meanie

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Sailor never scored a try in Origin. That has to say something

Tate -just because he wears an Oz jumper doesn't mean he's a decent player. references: Shaun Berrigan, Brad Myers.

Sailor scored in Origin 2 1998. Besides Steve Renouf only ever scored 2 Origin tries, don't hear you bagging him out.

And that doesn't mean Tate's not a decent player either.

iggy plop said:
Brad Meyers had two good games and was fast-tracked into the Origin and National side side for some silly reason. He was going to a gun.

Tyran Smith ended up being better player than him.

Ryles isn't the player I'd thought he'd be either. Papa Smurf would hit harder.

myers was going great up until he played in his 1st test. he got a high shot ,was knocked senseless &went off . after that was never the same

as for ryles he never was any good , the most over rated prop in the game

Big Pete

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
Motu hasn't lost it, he is the same player as ever (some people would say that is terrible, personally I think he is good.) He should never have lost the Warriors stand-off spot to Lance Hohaia in 2002, and he was damn unlucky to lose the fullback spot to Brent Webb in 2003. He then actually played quite well with the Broncos- I think he played about 3 matches, first up he was outstanding off the bench against the Warriors, then he ended up playing on the wing which was a joke, then he scored 2 tries in a loss against Parra, then he left. He must've been pissed off that he was more or less guaranteed the fullback spot and then Hunt was preferred. He is now playing a utility role at Hull, where he is playing quite well but a bit of a bit part. Should play for the Kiwis in the tri-nations considering the lack of halves imo.

I wasn't saying he lost it, just that he was one day meant to be Ikins replacement then next dissapeared for Hunt.

Personally I was a fan of Tonys in his short stint at the Broncos, he was good out at dummy half as he showed against Parramatta in Round 2 2004.

Would've been a handy player to have at the end of both seasons however that's Bennent for ya.

Iafeta

Referee
Big Pete said:
I wasn't saying he lost it, just that he was one day meant to be Ikins replacement then next dissapeared for Hunt.

Personally I was a fan of Tonys in his short stint at the Broncos, he was good out at dummy half as he showed against Parramatta in Round 2 2004.

Would've been a handy player to have at the end of both seasons however that's Bennent for ya.

I think a lot of people haven't realised where he's best played - much like Lance Hohaia, they've tried to make a half out of someone who just doesn't have the organisation skills.

What Motu Tony is particularly good at - and I think it was best illustrated when he destroyed Canterbury in the 2003 finals, is cutting teams up out of dummy half. He could have been a good interchange 9 for Brisbane or the Warriors.

Latest posts