What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who used to be good but then lost the plot

Smartman

Juniors
dinghydi said:
Maybe going too far back but i recall seeing a prop called Pickering play for Canterbury a few games a few years back and looked an Absolute world beater, then fizzled out . Does anyone know what happened to him ?Injuries ?

Yeah James Pickering, injuries ruined his career, very talented player but always had problems with knee injuries.

Big Pete

Referee
Dane Carlaw
Brad Meyers
Joe Galavao (spelling)
Francis Meli
Clinton Toopi
Leon Bott (Needs more exp.)
Tame Tupou (Was considered to be the next Wendall, then became a reserve grade benchy)
Brett Finch (Considering he was playing outside of Freddy you would've thought he may of learnt something)
Motu Tony - Whatever happened to this bloke? Why did the Broncos drop him?
Chris Walker - Dosn't have a good combonation like he had at the Broncos with Lockyer
Amos Roberts - What did this guy do this year?
Joel Monaghan - Ditto
Brent Kite - NSW prop to Manly bench player...dosn't get lower then that.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Can't believe Cayless and Hindy got a mantion..

Cayless has been one of the form props of the competion all year after 3 years of injury. His brother is probably better, but that's not bagging him. I rate Jason Cayless behind only Luke Bailey in the front row position and was really hoping Parra tried to get him back. But N Caylo has been excellent all year regardless.

And Hindy is still the best backrower in the world by far, he just works harder now and doesn't run as wide, and has become more of an offloader than a linebreaker.

Luke Lewis should be a frontrunner here, was excellent in 2003 and now he's an absolute hack.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought Greg Bird was gonna be good, he played a few good games in his first year was Australian schoolboy. Then he got suspended, and kept doing silly things.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Cayless and Hindy got a mention because Kiwi can't face the fact that the ultimate worldbeater to lost the plot is...BRISBANE

They are always title faves mid year. 2 months later - cannon fodder. To consider Civoniceva haead of Cayless is like backing the Datsun 12Y in a Formula one Grand Prix. Cayless is NOT the best prop running around, but the Eels play a lot better wneh he's there than when he isn't. Civoniceva is the most boring footballer ever -he makes Martin Lang look like Benji Marshall.

Brisbane are the kings of the mega hyped player becoming average. Examples include:

Ben Walker
Chris Walker
Shane Walker
Brad Myers
Dane Carlaw
Barry Berrigan
Brent Tate
K Hunt
Julian O'Neill
Wendell Sailor

D

Deleted member 10972

As a Roosters fan, i agree with Walker & Monaghan, but Amos finished the year strongly. He still ended up with 16 tries, nothing to be ashamed of, & remarkably improved his defence, thanks to Soliola being a rather good defensive centre inside of him instead of Lewis. And considering for a while Amos's scoring oppurtunities were cut down due to either having Chris Walker inside of him (Soliola gave him plenty of offloads, Walker used his 'quick hands' to toss the ball over the sideline), or being forced into Five-Eighth, he was one of our better buys this year.

AshMang

Juniors
i wish theyd pick any aussie team of players who are good now, not who have been good. i think we are in the position to take a few chances and id love to have an australian team with form players.. ie not darren lockyer etc etc captain or not barret is running heaps hotter than him.

HevyDevy

Coach
Parra_Eels said:
stu kelly was unbelivable at parra from 97-2000 - one of my favourites. he unfortuantely thought moving to the broncos would further him but it has just buried him completely.

he was unbelievable from 1997-1999 but lost it in 2000 after he broke his jaw. It seemed to affect his confidence and not only was he never the same, he became a complete spastic. Shame. I can still remember that run he made from dummy-half two metres out from his own line against Norths in a semi final in 1998. Down 12-6, he goes straight through to halfway, on the next play Penna scores between the posts. Also scored a classic against Melbourne in 1999 semi.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
JamesWebster's#1fan said:
You bro,are a grade A idiot.

He was in the best form of his career prior being injured for the season.

My ones are..

Monty Betham (he was good...once)
Francis Meli
Clinton Toopi
CHRIS WALKER!!
Justin Hodges (was goin good upto his injury)
Darren Lockyer (his form for this season was nothing short of terrible)
Brent Sherwin

lockyer was nothing short of terrible? the broncos were only leading the competition for most of the season jackass.

Misty Bee

First Grade
But I'm right, aren't I Chuck? Brisbane have provided plenty of champions: Langer, Walters Webcke etc. But geez it's had it's share of fallen stars!

HevyDevy

Coach
Lockyer is hardly a player that's 'lost it'.

So he lost form at the end of the year - I guarantee he'll hit back. I believe this thread isn't about players that have lost form but players that have lost all ability - thus Stu Kelly and the like.

Those who mention the likes of Locky and Kimmorley are having a pull.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Tyran Smith!!!! could have been anything but turned into that.....
Stacy Jones has seemed pretty disinterested for the past few years.
Nathan Cayless.........................just to annoy eels fans (actually he's gotten better this year)
Michael Vella
Jane Carlaw -damn he went downhill fast
Lewis and Roony

Iafeta said:
Those who've picked Nathan Cayless, did they watch him this season or is it more on his previous 2 or so seasons?

This year IMO Nathan Cayless was close to the best New Zealand available prop running around.

Even comparing him to Rauhihi and Asostosi is a joke.

Thierry Henry said:
Vagana has still scored plenty of tries for the Sharks in the last 2 seasons and he is 30 now so what do you expect? He's hardly lost the plot.

Most of the players listed were either overrated in the first place, or haven't really lost the plot at all, but have been victims of circumstance (injury, playing in a poor team, etc). Players rarely if ever "lose their talent" imo.

I agree Vagana has been marked to the sh*thouse on the rare occassion that he does get the ball, his played as well as his been allowed and to score the try's that he has is a credit to him.

Latest posts