What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

playing ugly

The Warriors enabled us to dominate posession. We scored three tries off kicks. They lost Manu early. We were lucky that Fishiani has hands like a fish. In the end it was the right result because they didn't deserve to win and we put ouselves in position to punish their mistakes. Commitment rather than execution won that game for us.

I think it's risky to praise the good performers yet gloss over the lesser performers just because we beat the Warriors first up.
it was a good hitout for round 1 nothing more im sure nobody is saying the eels are worldbeaters on that performance and there's still plenty of work to be done

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
I look at last nights performance this way:

2007 in NZ RD1 Warriors 34-18- LOSS
2008 in NZ RD2 Warriors 30-16- LOSS
2009 in NZ RD1 Warriors 26-18- LOSS
2010 in NZ R17 Warriors 35-6- LOSS
2011 in NZ RD1 Eels 24-18- WIN

Plenty of teams might not win their NZ roadtrip this year, we sorted it in Round 1.

Eels Dude

Coach
overall Pete everybody played well, to bag one player in a team that dominated for 65mins is crazy. as you said Morts played well like every other player in blue and gold.

So every time we win a game EVERY player has played well :crazy:

As someone said in another thread, if we'd lost the game in golden point we'd all be bagging Morts because he very nearly did cost us the game. The fact we won shouldn't mean he automatically avoids criticism.

Eels Dude

Coach
C`mon, mate. Joel Reddy has been our best and most consistent centre for the past three years. As soon as he`s fit, he`s in. And I didn`t see the trials, but most reports suggest that Whatuira was our best centre. So it seems a no-brainer - our centres will be Reddy and Whatuira. Burt on one wing and the other wing spot is up for grabs.

I think the thing about Etu last night was that he played well above his level but really was still quite ordinary at the end of the day. I did see the trials and I don't know what Whatuira did to not get picked. The fact that Chris Walker, a winger, got picked at centre ahead of him is a bit cuckoo.

yy_cheng

Coach
That Etu hit on Vatuvei was pretty "ugly"... I could see him lining him up, and then his whole body seemed to go much lower than I expected at the last minute. Can't believe he got low enough to connect shoulder to knee front on and flip the bloke - no wonder Manu's knee is now a bit f**ked!

I'm surprised that etu shoulder isn't done in

parra pete

Referee
You wouldn`t be saying that if he played for your team.

Imo Mortimer did very well, irrespective of what team he was playing for.
I also thought Josh McCrone and Sam Williams were good for the Raiders today...but the quality of halves they were against wasn't as good as the Warriors)...

Pazza

First Grade
Great to see us play mistake free footy! i remember a few years ago we were making 15 - 20 handling errors a game!!! so frustrating to watch!

Pazza

First Grade
Great to see us play mistake free footy! i remember a few years ago we were making 15 - 20 handling errors a game!!! so frustrating to watch!

Danonthespot

Juniors
I thought Etu was our worst. He came off his wing in defense nearly every time the Warriors threw it out the backline - once they scored, and another time nearly if it weren't for Morgan covering for him.

Etu also put a big hit on in the 2nd half that everyone probably rated, but again he had bolted in off his wing uneccesarily - had the Warriors player passed before the hit they would have put the winger away for a 4-pointer.

Other teams would have killed us down his side all night.

I hope Reddy (who is an excellent defensive player) is back next week and Etu is dropped....Morgan played well I thought and deserves his spot for now.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Yeah Etu should have stayed out on his wing and all would have been sweet.

Except for the 10m gap between him and Morgan lol.

hindy111

Post Whore
etu made some strong hit ups.He also came in off his wing but if he stayed out there there was a HUGE gap so they score either way. Cant comment on walker-Dont even recall him getting the ball.
If reddys fit bring him in for walker and think about swapiing etu for hicks or walker

mrpwnd

Bench
I hope the defense along the edges improve a lot. Just came back from the Knights vs Panthers game and Knights looked VERY sharp on both their left and right wing. Hopefully Kearney doesn't field the same backline again, unless they improve a lot.

Again, on a positive note we look like one of the more composed and prepared teams despite having a weaker line up than most. Still a long ways to go but good signs nevertheless.

Latest posts