What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, anyone else in 2021

Pantherjim.

Referee
Why shouldn't they be fair game? Surely you can't be suggesting players must play for their local side?

Yet you want it both ways by setting up your own junior development programs and poaching another club’s local juniors?

I was genuinely gut wrenched when Tedesco jumped ship to join your mob.

I’m not even a Tigpies supporter, yet I genuinely felt for them.

Ergo, as I’ve already mentioned, the system doesn’t work.

Last edited:

Pantherjim.

Referee
Bit of a strawman argument going on there!
People choose a certain club to follow for a variety of reasons, location/link to where you are from being a critical but by no means only one. The vast majority have no idea and don't care where a player played U16's. They care about how they are performing in their clubs jersey. And guess what, if they win a title it doesn't feel any better with local players than it does acquired ones!

Well, that’s one opinion I guess.

I was really happy that Luke Priddis won the Clive Churchill medal in 2003, but I’d have been even happier if he’d been a Penrith junior.

Moreover, hypothetically, if the Panthers relocated to your city, do you think many Penrith fans would still follow them?

greenBV4

Bench
Yet your club consistently contracts the services of a Head coach the caliber of Bellamy...
What does that have to do with your idea for a draft for coaching staff? Hire a good Head coach, actually give that coach control over decisions, and a good head coach will pick the best coaching staff that compliments their style

kit66

Bench
Or maybe they just manage their cap better. You know, like not signing the likes of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman on enormous contracts.

Nah mate, Roosters are dodgy. How can you have a line up like theirs and then mid season go " oh by the way, Sonny Bill will be joining us for the rest of the season..... what, sorry...salary cap ? yes mumble, mumble b***sh*t, nothing to see here haha ".

Pantherjim.

Referee
What does that have to do with your idea for a draft for coaching staff? Hire a good Head coach, actually give that coach control over decisions, and a good head coach will pick the best coaching staff that compliments their style

Well it means that underperforming clubs might get a chance to contract the services of one of the best Head Coaches and coaching staff in the National Rugby League, unlike your club holding on to them for umpteen years...

greenBV4

Bench
Well it means that underperforming clubs might get a chance to contract the services of one of the best Head Coaches and coaching staff in the National Rugby League, unlike your club holding on to them for umpteen years...
Thats not how a draft works

soc123_au

Staff member
I dislike the Storm as much as any sane person, but how the f**k is them picking up Bellyache as a coach (after being rejected by the Raiders for Elliott, lol) and then renewing him each time his contract is up in any way unfair?

The other clubs get fair crack at the other coaching staff. How many current & recent coaches are ex Storm assistants?

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Nah mate, Roosters are dodgy. How can you have a line up like theirs and then mid season go " oh by the way, Sonny Bill will be joining us for the rest of the season..... what, sorry...salary cap ? yes mumble, mumble b***sh*t, nothing to see here haha ".

I don't know about that. Cronk, Tetevano and Latrell are off the books. That's a lot of cap space before I even get to the money freed up from Freddy's retirement :)

greenBV4

Bench
The other clubs get fair crack at the other coaching staff. How many current & recent coaches are ex Storm assistants?
yep Melbourne is basically a High Performance Centre for training coaches,
but yeah we should send Bellamy packing and force him to another club "to even the playing field" haha, how dare we keep resigning our coach

Pantherjim.

Referee
Thats not how a draft works

Let’s see, Bellamy is a great coach... Have I got it right so far? Coaches are a pretty important part to the overall playing roster, culture and confidence of the club in general, Am I getting warmer? The Melbourne Storm (Aside from the years that you’ve cheated by rorting the salary cap) Have achieved great success from that playing roster, club culture an confidence which would be welcome at an underperforming club?

Please stop me at anytime you need clarification...

Pantherjim.

Referee
On what measure isn't it working?

You literally asked for coaches getting shared around the comp so everyone gets a go at being good.
This isn't a strawman, this is exactly what you're describing

So if what you’re implying is factual, then why do we have a need for a salary cap?

greenBV4

Bench
Let’s see, Bellamy is a great coach... Have I got it right so far? Coaches are a pretty important part to the overall playing roster, culture and confidence of the club in general, Am I getting warmer? The Melbourne Storm (Aside from the years that you’ve cheated by rorting the salary cap) Have achieved great success from that playing roster, club culture an confidence which would be welcome at an underperforming club?

Please stop me at anytime you need clarification...
Typically a draft is for junior players to be picked up by a club to make their debut, or for any other unsigned players (or in your scenario coaches)

I have no idea what a draft would have to do with a coach who has been with a club for almost 2 decades and never gone off contract - a draft has no effect on resigning current players

soc123_au

Staff member
I have no idea what a draft would have to do with a coach who has been with a club for almost 2 decades
Apparently you guys should have refused to re-sign him once it was established he was a great coach & offered him up to the Tigers or put him on an NRL equivalent of Ebay or something along those lines. I mean I get the jist of where some people are coming from, but this is way out there. ha ha.

Pantherjim.

Referee
I dislike the Storm as much as any sane person, but how the f**k is them picking up Bellyache as a coach (after being rejected by the Raiders for Elliott, lol) and then renewing him each time his contract is up in any way unfair?

Well I guess it’s only “fair” if you don’t happen to rate Bellamy and the culture he instilled at Melbourne as a genuine advantage over other clubs.

But unless the Storm are somehow rorting the cap again or using performance enhancing drugs, it’s pretty hard to deviate from that aforementioned reality.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade Ivan up for any other coach in the playing roster and I couldn’t believe that he was f*cked off in 2016 after getting us to a Prelim in 2014. However I would personally love to see a coach like Bellamy go to an underperforming club such as the Tigpies, Dragons, Bulldogs, Cowboys or Broncos.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
However I would personally love to see a coach like Bellamy go to an underperforming club such as the Tigpies, Dragons, Bulldogs, Cowboys or Broncos.

Does this involve any accountants from the Storm?

I am sure the players would love a boat as well. Great fishing spots up North Queensland.