What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Help Us Expand RL

gallagher

Juniors
Welcome to Rugby League youngster. I'm sure when you advance past puberty you will hav time to discover the rich heritage of our great game.

We have been expanding since 1908. Up to 1967 the main comp expanded to keep pace with Sydney's expansion, then in 1982 went to Wollongong and Canberra - arguably the first non League town. We included Perth and Auckland in 1995 - then Super League came along and collapsed it all.

CC has to be next - it is self sufficient and wont need handouts, nor have a huge and hostile neighbour - Ipswitch (a rotten location with sweet FA corporate presence) can ONLY survive if the Broncos approve - and history shows they certainly dont.

Good luck with Perth, but if it cannot fund it's own way forget it.
I know all about league's history mate and followed the game before Canberra and Illawarra were in the comp. So save the condesending attitude.
Wollongong and Canberra have been league towns from early in the 1900's. Going into these areas was only consolidating the game not true expansion, same as Newcastle and the qld teams.

TV funds the game nowadays, CC wont help in that area.

Loudstrat

Coach
Perth, Auckland and Adelaide????? All came before Melbourne. Canberra arguably non League town given the presence of a stack of expats from AFL states.

The biggest TV bonanza will come from simply having 2 extra games per round. I doubt if any expansion area will yield more viewers than that, given that the will more than likely be Pay TV games anyway as C9 continues to focus on Parra, Brisbane, Saints, Canterbury, Wests and possibly Easts and the Titans first.

gallagher

Juniors
Perth, Auckland and Adelaide????? All came before Melbourne. Canberra arguably non League town given the presence of a stack of expats from AFL states.

The biggest TV bonanza will come from simply having 2 extra games per round. I doubt if any expansion area will yield more viewers than that, given that the will more than likely be Pay TV games anyway as C9 continues to focus on Parra, Brisbane, Saints, Canterbury, Wests and possibly Easts and the Titans first.

How many more teams do you want in?

Were getting off the topic anyway.

DC_fan

Coach
Perth has and always will have my support.

They should be the first team in, in any expansion of the competition.

Flapper

First Grade
This ex Perth resident and rampaging believer in the admittance of the Reds will be joining in a week or two.

flippikat

Bench
Read on SMH that the bears don't have the support of the other clubs. Looks like Perth will be a certainty and probably another Queensland team, but it might not be as soon as 2013.

It might be old news but here's the link anyway

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-bears-in-their-backyard-20101130-18fga.html

Where are most of the NRL clubs based? NSW.

They feel threatened.

Especially considering that it would be a Regional team, not just a section of Sydney.

You betcha they don't want the Bears.

They want a team north of the border ("far far away" but still in rugby league territory)

Doomednow

Bench
Where are most of the NRL clubs based? NSW.

They feel threatened.

Especially considering that it would be a Regional team, not just a section of Sydney.

You betcha they don't want the Bears.

They want a team north of the border ("far far away" but still in rugby league territory)

Well yeah, that's obvious. But if the existing clubs don't want to support a team on the central coast its probably less likely to happen. Not taking a side here, just speculating on available information.

flippikat

Bench
Well yeah, that's obvious. But if the existing clubs don't want to support a team on the central coast its probably less likely to happen. Not taking a side here, just speculating on available information.

No problem with you saying that.

The issue is that if the Bears don't get approval for entry in 2013, you have 3 options:

1 - expand by just 1 team in 2013. WA Reds become the 17th club.
This won't get an extra game for TV rights each weekend, so your income stream is not what it could be.
Also, with an odd number of teams, there'll be at least 1 with a bye each week. MESSY.

2 - expand by 2 teams in 2013. WA Reds and one of the Queensland bids
There is still a LOT of work to be done on the Central Qld and Ipswitch bids.
Can either of them be match-ready in 2 years? The clock is ticking, and if this is the preferred option of clubs, it needs to be nailed-down ASAP.

3 - Defer expansion until after 2013. Who wants that?

Sorry if I'm sounding like I'm stating the obvious, but the Reds and Bears have got to be pretty confident right now... The clubs need to be careful not to paint themselves into a corner here.

Loudstrat

Coach
No problem with you saying that.

The issue is that if the Bears don't get approval for entry in 2013, you have 3 options:

1 - expand by just 1 team in 2013. WA Reds become the 17th club.
This won't get an extra game for TV rights each weekend, so your income stream is not what it could be.
Also, with an odd number of teams, there'll be at least 1 with a bye each week. MESSY.

2 - expand by 2 teams in 2013. WA Reds and one of the Queensland bids
There is still a LOT of work to be done on the Central Qld and Ipswitch bids.
Can either of them be match-ready in 2 years? The clock is ticking, and if this is the preferred option of clubs, it needs to be nailed-down ASAP.

3 - Defer expansion until after 2013. Who wants that?

Sorry if I'm sounding like I'm stating the obvious, but the Reds and Bears have got to be pretty confident right now... The clubs need to be careful not to paint themselves into a corner here.
Especially if the TV pot of gold isn't quite full. By 2013 they might be looking for extra revenue from an extra match per round.

The state of play:
BEARS: Ready to go with everything in place short of finalising some sponsorship.

PERTH: Gaining momentum but still need infrastructure and local corporate, government and public backing. Juniors in place. Solid entrenched management. Need momentum. Also need some strategy to take fans off Union. Best way to get momentum - jag a few 18k plus crowds for exhibition NRL games.

IPSWICH: Hype only. No management structure, ground or even area selected. Also yet to tackle the Broncos who consider the entire City as "their turf" and guard it as ruthlessly as a columbian drug cartel guards it's stockpile of China White. Needs to work out where it will be, who will fund it and run it.

CQ: Hype only, and no population. Need to wait 20 years at least.

Currently the Bears and Perth are the only serious bids, and the Bears the only ones ready to deliver. If Perth was closer to reality it would favour the Bears, but I feel Perth is holding them back. By the time Perth is ready another SEQ bid may be further down the track. By that time, Wellington might be ready to bid again.

The Bears best bet would be for Perth to get ready, or Cronulla to keel over.

joshreading

Staff member
The reality is that the present NRL clubs will only let a club in if they think there is a chance to significant increase to overall TV revenue.

The Bears have proved (I think) that they would be a solid team with good support (and no doubt stronger than possibly a couple present sides) BUT the catch is that outside of simply being a new team to watch they don't open up many new potential fans to the game that are not presently watching. That does not really increase the TV ratings a great deal.

Perth still has to prove they are strong enough but seem to be on track. Their strength is found in their time zone difference bringing an immediate strength TV wise. In addition they do provide a significant population that would like tune in at a far greater rate then presently is the case with RL. That does equal more viewers and thus money.

Loudstrat

Coach
The reality is that the present NRL clubs will only let a club in if they think there is a chance to significant increase to overall TV revenue.

The Bears have proved (I think) that they would be a solid team with good support (and no doubt stronger than possibly a couple present sides) BUT the catch is that outside of simply being a new team to watch they don't open up many new potential fans to the game that are not presently watching. That does not really increase the TV ratings a great deal.

Perth still has to prove they are strong enough but seem to be on track. Their strength is found in their time zone difference bringing an immediate strength TV wise. In addition they do provide a significant population that would like tune in at a far greater rate then presently is the case with RL. That does equal more viewers and thus money.

Do you have any proof of that?

dgsfan

Juniors
Are you suggesting that if Perth had an NRL side they wouldn't tune in far greater numbers than they do now? Or are you playing devil's advocate whilst at the same time managing to deflect the issue that the bears will not increase revenue to the NRL?

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes, they probably would by a few thousand. What are the Swans stats after 20 years in Sydney?

Besides, they would rqarely be in FTA, so you would get people already subscribing to Pay TV watching them.

dgsfan

Juniors
you would get potentially 2 live games on friday night, increasing ratings in heartland areas.

imasharkie

Coach
I'm for expansion. I'm for a team in Perth. I'm rugby league through and through. Here's the bit you won't like, I'm a Cronulla supporter.

I believe you'd be best sticking to these sort of positive posts. I've seen plenty of your posts of ill will regarding Cronulla. It's very strange you would publicly hope for one rugby league communities demise and wish for anothers promotion.

You are sort of like a person waiting for an organ transplant, wishing for a young, healthy donor to die. Sorry if I sound flippant but you know what , we ain't dying.

The Sharks will be the growth team over the next few years.
Perth Reds and Ipswich Jets should be the next two teams into the NRL.

boonboon

Juniors
I am not really fussed as a Tigers supporter too much but We cant have more teams in NSW so for the CC Bears to come in we need one to go out, for me the only options are a) Sharks or b) Souths - the sharks have theior own stadium and new planning , souths have tradition but they dont lay in the area, they havent been competitive for 30 years , as a tigers supporter I naturally hate souths anyway but they bring very little to the club and now they are cheating the salary cap and if they dont get their own way they are going to try and wreck the salary cap in the courts - if they do then get rid of them from the comp - because if anyone remmbers while News let souths back in they did then appeal and win the technical court case