What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Wb1234

Referee
Cairns has a team, they’re called the nq cowboys! If png had to be based in australia it would make sense to base them in darwin then nrl gets two new regions for price of one.
Cairns is closer

but Darwin would add an extra capital city

either way this strengthens the Png bid substantially

MugaB

Coach
No it’s not, cairns mayor said they’ve had no conversations about this bid.
Correct but theyve been talking off and on about it for the past 5 years, obviously PNG are wanting to bid on their own, but i would guess a joint bid would far out way any issues, especially if the team is based in cairns for training/half their games

Perth Red

Post Whore
Correct but theyve been talking off and on about it for the past 5 years, obviously PNG are wanting to bid on their own, but i would guess a joint bid would far out way any issues, especially if the team is based in cairns for training/half their games
Do you think Australian/nz players would sign for them because they are based in cairns over one of the 17 other clubs?

Wb1234

Referee
It also helps them access Australian business to sponsor the team esp from Queensland

but given the number of Australian mining companies in Png I didn’t really think it would be a huge problem

jim_57

Staff member
What’s the timeframe from Darwin?

No direct options but only slightly less distance than Brisbane.

Cairns would mean less travelling for home games but more for away, being based in Brisbane would mean direct flight routes to all home & away games plus up to 3 away games they could drive/bus to. You could make a case for either, being based in Brisbane would probably help them attract players.

jim_57

Staff member
It also helps them access Australian business to sponsor the team esp from Queensland

but given the number of Australian mining companies in Png I didn’t really think it would be a huge problem

Are we just assuming PNG mining companies will sponsor them? Would there be much value in that?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No direct options but only slightly less distance than Brisbane.

Cairns would mean less travelling for home games but more for away, being based in Brisbane would mean direct flight routes to all home & away games plus up to 3 away games they could drive/bus to. You could make a case for either, being based in Brisbane would probably help them attract players.
Maybe it will be like PI international RL and they’ll play their games in australia lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are we just assuming PNG mining companies will sponsor them? Would there be much value in that?
Possible but only if the mining company owner is massive RL fan. We have three mining co pant owners who own or sponsor clubs but that’s because they are massive fans of that sport.
Sage- Glory
Forrest - Force
woodside - Dockers

LimeRick

Juniors
Cairns has a team, they’re called the nq cowboys! If png had to be based in australia it would make sense to base them in darwin then nrl gets two new regions for price of one.

The fact that Cairns doesn't get many NRL games astounds me. The AFL has played six games there (admittedly four because of Covid) since the last NRL game.

You'd think they should be getting at least one game a year.

Colk

First Grade
The fact that Cairns doesn't get many NRL games astounds me. The AFL has played six games there (admittedly four because of Covid) since the last NRL game.

Even more considering m that Cairns is not much smaller than Townsville.

Perth Red

Post Whore

They obviously aren’t willing to pay for them. The only reason clubs take games on the road is for $’s.

jim_57

Staff member
They obviously aren’t willing to pay for them. The only reason clubs take games on the road is for $’s.
If (big if) they get that 20k stadium across the line surely they’ll get 3-4 NRL games a year. Wouldn’t hurt if the Cowboys took a home game or 2 there every year but they’ll always keep the majority in Townsville for obvious reasons.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe the mayor instead of worrying about a PNG club should put his hand in his pocket and get some cowboys games there?

Colk

First Grade
Maybe the mayor instead of worrying about a PNG club should put his hand in his pocket and get some cowboys games there?

Of course he should. The idea of a joint Cairns - PNG bid doesn’t make much sense. They are either a PNG side or not

MugaB

Coach
Do you think Australian/nz players would sign for them because they are based in cairns over one of the 17 other clubs?
Coaches/training staff would... then having a player plus family would live in cairns over a foriegn country in PNG, and yes that's an issue, but no different to anytime any player goes to market, Chad Townsend going to the cowboys isn't any different to him going to the warriors the prior season, every player is different, then you have you example of brandon smith, who could have gone to the dolphins on huge money, end up at bondi

MugaB

Coach
Hahaha, now that's the exact attitude i expect from the perth loving PR... super jealous... the mayor is going for 6 games a year, rather than a one off random event that might/might not include the cowboys...
A fulltime presence... you should congratulate him, he would be setting the standard for any mayor trying to get funding or stadium or a team for his area

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dif
Hahaha, now that's the exact attitude i expect from the perth loving PR... super jealous... the mayor is going for 6 games a year, rather than a one off random event that might/might not include the cowboys...
A fulltime presence... you should congratulate him, he would be setting the standard for any mayor trying to get funding or stadium or a team for his area
difference is he could get nrl games there next year, but he’s never getting a png team based there lol.