What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

The_Wookie

Bench
You’ll lose. Your starting point is absolutely false. The public has been hoodwinked. By the way name me another occasion where an arrogant sport run by boofheads like McLachlan get away with an agreement that fines the taxpayers for failing to meet a milestone in an agreement. Good luck.

Happy to debate anyone on this in the apropriate thread.

The_Wookie

Bench
Is PNG really back....
Or are we all going to talk about AFL in Tasmania for 5 fućking pages?

If the feds provide the funding and it can be secured properly for players and matches without costs blowing out, its a maybe for mine. Getting into the governments good books is good for league long term, but the risks are high.

I think there are more realistic possibilities out there - I reckon favourites would be QLD4 or WA and maybe even NZ2 on the outside.

MugaB

Coach
If the feds provide the funding and it can be secured properly for players and matches without costs blowing out, its a maybe for mine. Getting into the governments good books is good for league long term, but the risks are high.

I think there are more realistic possibilities out there - I reckon favourites would be QLD4 or WA and maybe even NZ2 on the outside.
Regardless of who footing this bill for a QLD5 based Pacifica club, its all about getting those pathways built from all the islands without having to fork out for it... if it fails in 5-10 years time, those pathways will still exist and can be re directed to the other existing clubs... its a win/win... by then there should be enough player talent to head into WA/SA/NZ2 and set up shop

I would love to see PNG join the NRL and I think the downsides are massively overblown
- poor performing team? = we have a wooden spoon team with a huge crowd average
- Club collapses after 5 years? = this isnt an existential threat to the comp. It was ambitious to begin with and we will get credit for the attempt

still, i think the key question is “what do we want to achieve?” Because the question might have other answers.

Player development > national comp, junior investment and another qrl team
Fan engagement > expand the PM13 concept to a 3-game series or invite the Kumals to a 6-nations tournament for pacific teams.

realistically, a focus on the national team serves to address most of the areas an NRL team would touch, but with a LOT more flexibility

Canard

Immortal
Regardless of who footing this bill for a QLD5 based Pacifica club, its all about getting those pathways built from all the islands without having to fork out for it... if it fails in 5-10 years time, those pathways will still exist and can be re directed to the other existing clubs... its a win/win... by then there should be enough player talent to head into WA/SA/NZ2 and set up shop

I don't see the Feds even mentioning funding any Pacific Island related League stuff, this seems to be purely a brain wave of Vlandys and the NRL.

All the vague funding discussions so far are about PNG only.

Wb1234

Referee
I would love to see PNG join the NRL and I think the downsides are massively overblown
- Club collapses after 5 years? = this isnt an existential threat to the comp. It was ambitious to begin with and we will get credit for the attempt

still, i think the key question is “what do we want to achieve?” Because the question might have other answers.

Fan engagement > expand the PM13 concept to a 3-game series or invite the Kumals to a 6-nations tournament for pacific teams.

realistically, a focus on the national team serves to address most of the areas an NRL team would touch, but with a LOT more flexibility
Now here is a constructive post against a png nrl team

probably the first one

Canard

Immortal

Yep as I posted earlier in the thread, you would get a better return on investing money into their junior development programs.

Also a huge crowd average is only useful if it results in generation of money for the club and its operations. In PNG this wouldn't be the case.

Canard

Immortal
Now here is a constructive post against a png nrl team

probably the first one

MugaB

Coach
His debating style seems to be to call everyone a potato who doesn’t agree with him
No thats incorrect, i only call grotd a potato counting hillbilly, he also seems to have plenty of alt accounts, who tend to show up when he is losing a debate, or simply overwhelmed by his own bullshìt,
Pneuma uses his "potato" line in reference to that complete and utter fwit grotd, and his logan lovin, singapore slinging, aircraft carrying potato counting useless twit who wants to rationalise the whole comp down to 2 teams the NQ cowboys vs Logan Scorpions

Pneuma

First Grade
No thats incorrect, i only call grotd a potato counting hillbilly, he also seems to have plenty of alt accounts, who tend to show up when he is losing a debate, or simply overwhelmed by his own bullshìt,
Pneuma uses his "potato" line in reference to that complete and utter fwit grotd, and his logan lovin, singapore slinging, aircraft carrying potato counting useless twit who wants to rationalise the whole comp down to 2 teams the NQ cowboys vs Logan Scorpions
I think WB qualifies as well. But GROTD is the the ultimate potato.

Wb1234

Referee
Nice, good question on the last paragraph of that article, why should they partner up and share it with anyone else?
They will do whatever they are told to do

Linking with brisbane makes it more valuable for tv and makes them strong financially forever if the feds cut off funding

MugaB

Coach
They will do whatever they are told to do

Linking with brisbane makes it more valuable for tv and makes them strong financially forever if the feds cut off funding
f**king hell, no one cares about the broadcaster dude, they will eat whatever the arlc feed them..
Again ive said this before, the voting power is with the clubs themselves NOT the media, only murdoch will basically decide which bid wpuld be the less threatening and only coz of his stake in the broncos, these clubs will pick whoever is the less threatening to their own selfish necessity..
Keep craping on about channel 9 or whoever else, they might not even be the broadcast partner in 5 years time could be stan/7 for all we know

Wb1234

Referee

Latest posts