What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

LimeRick

Juniors
Papua New Guinea launches bid to become NRL’s 18th team

I'll be surprised if there isn't significant political pressure to make a PNG side happen. It shouldn't happen under any circumstances, but they might actually be in with chance considering the political environment in the region.

PNG may have timed this perfectly. I see no reference to funding, but the Aus govt paying $20m or so a year to keep the Pacific's most populous nation in Australia's sphere could be looking very good for them right now.

Perth is still my preferred option, but interesting with the timing.

The Great Dane

First Grade
PNG may have timed this perfectly. I see no reference to funding, but the Aus govt paying $20m or so a year to keep the Pacific's most populous nation in Australia's sphere could be looking very good for them right now.

Who picks up the bill when that govt money runs out though? The NRL couldn't realistically afford those sorts of costs, and even if they could you'd like to think they'd invest that kind of money in a market where a return on the investment is a realistic proposition.

Until PNG's economy develops that's always going to be one of a litany of problems proposed PNG side's will face.

A PNG NRL side is a pipedream that really shouldn't be taken seriously, and it deeply concerns me that I think it's a realistic chance of happening, especially when considering other recent missteps.

MugaB

Coach
Who picks up the bill when that govt money runs out though? The NRL couldn't realistically afford those sorts of costs, and even if they could you'd like to think they'd invest that kind of money in a market where a return on the investment is a realistic proposition.

Until PNG's economy develops that's always going to be one of a litany of problems proposed PNG side's will face.

A PNG NRL side is a pipedream that really shouldn't be taken seriously, and it deeply concerns me that I think it's a realistic chance of happening, especially when considering other recent missteps.
Now im confident the NRL, will pick them after your concerns

Colk

First Grade

It would be more than $20m wouldn’t it? The guarantee would also have to go for at 20-30 years, maybe more.

LimeRick

Juniors

I don't think it's a good idea, it's a huge commitment and there's just so many obstacles that'd have to be overcome, but I think it just became slightly less unrealistic since the Sollies debacle.

It would be more than $20m wouldn’t it? The guarantee would also have to go for at 20-30 years, maybe more.

I honestly have no idea. How much do teams get from broadcast rights? The Aus govt wouldn't have to fund the whole thing, but probably more than half for it to be feasible.

mikail-eagle

Bench
I'm really surprised by this news.
There's no word of such a bid here in Port Moresby today.
Usually there'd be a press conference or something similar to make an official announcement.
And non of the local press are reporting it over here. Didn't even make the 6pm news.

And the part about the PNG Government proposing it is just bizarre because we are just a week away from National General Elections over here. And this current unpopular Government has a very slim chance of returning.

MugaB

Coach
Usually there'd be a press conference or something similar to make an official announcement.
And non of the local press are reporting it over here. Didn't even make the 6pm news.

And the part about the PNG Government proposing it is just bizarre because we are just a week away from National General Elections over here. And this current unpopular Government has a very slim chance of returning.
Do you feel that its a last ditch effort to keep the current govt? How popular ia Rugby League there that this would get votes?

mikail-eagle

Bench

Ok apologies all. Just saw video of the announcement from yesterday. It is mostly being pushed by the PNG Government.

Wb1234

Referee
If png get an nrl team to stop China from taking over the region then im all for that

anything that gets an nrl team in png is a huge win for rugby league

the player pool would effectively multiply by a factor ten

the nrl could have as many png players in it as islanders or kiwis

The Great Dane

First Grade
If png get an nrl team to stop China from taking over the region then im all for that
Football politics doesn't work.

PNG would take the NRL team and proceed to work with China for so long as they think it's in there interests anyway. Historically that's how basically every nation reacts in those situations.
anything that gets an nrl team in png is a huge win for rugby league
How is being lumped with an unsustainable nightmare of a club a 'huge win' for anything?

It'll just be a money pit for generations, money that could be invested in area's where a return is possible.
the player pool would effectively multiply by a factor ten

the nrl could have as many png players in it as islanders or kiwis
That's speculation, and I'm not sure that it would be a good thing for there to be as many Papuans as Islanders and Kiwis in the NRL.

The NRL helping the PNGRL to modernise the Digicel Cup and find more sources of revenue for the PNGRL would be a much better outcome for all involved than a PNG NRL team.

I'd start with helping the Digicel Cup to get a broadcast deal in Australia, and maybe work with the Australian government on a player exchange program.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should also set up an NRL scouting camp like NFL do and bring the best 100 PNG kids over each year (they could include PI as well) and invite NRL scouts to attend for the week to run their eyes over the best 16-18 year old kids the country is developing. Then offer some scholarship programs to say 2 kids per NRL club to encourage them to give them a shot. Worse case is the Digicell cup ends up with some much better trained players raising the standards of it in years to come. NRL clubs are generally lazy when it comes to scouting talent it seems.

Theres been more kids picked up out of WA's jnr system than PNG's which is nuts when you consider player numbers, and only happens because of exposure to clubs scouts WA kids have and PNG kids dont.

flippikat

Bench
This idea is getting a ridiculous amount of support on Facebook groups.. which is stunning. I can't so many are turning a blind eye to the logistical & financial issues that having a top tier team in a 3rd World country would face.

Sure, Super Rugby are getting into the Pacific Islands with Fiji Drua & Moana Pacifica, BUT MP play their home games in Auckland (Mt Smart), so are effectively a 2nd Auckland team and the Drua, well.. they painted themselves into a corner by having so many substandard Australian teams & adding MP that they needed another team to make an even numbered competition - and I fear that the Drua will struggle for a long time before you see results from them.

Colk

First Grade
This idea is getting a ridiculous amount of support on Facebook groups.. which is stunning. I can't so many are turning a blind eye to the logistical & financial issues that having a top tier team in a 3rd World country would face.

Sure, Super Rugby are getting into the Pacific Islands with Fiji Drua & Moana Pacifica, BUT MP play their home games in Auckland (Mt Smart), so are effectively a 2nd Auckland team and the Drua, well.. they painted themselves into a corner by having so many substandard Australian teams & adding MP that they needed another team to make an even numbered competition - and I fear that the Drua will struggle for a long time before you see results from them.

Because most people don’t understand economics.