What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

MugaB

Coach
Yeah, but will he still be PM when the time comes? They seem to change PMs as often as NS change bids.
Haha yeah thats a good one... yeah pretty sure whoever wants to step in to derail RL licence in PNG won't stay PM for long... or alive for that matter

Colk

First Grade
Hmm.. wonder how many merchandise sales, season memberships & pay TV subscriptions the NRL can get out of that fanbase?
The average income is more than what I uncovered, so maybe there is growth, but it is still too low to house a professional sporting team.

I would love it if it became viable one day but they are not there yet

MugaB

Coach
but they love their rl? Some of the Poor buggers don’t have house water but I’m sure they’ll find $300 for an nrl membership and another. $150for,a jersey.
You all focus on the NRL treating this bid as purely a business decision, where NRL need to get monetary rewards from merch/memberships, how much do you think redcliffe or "THE" is going to bring in? I can tell you f**k all, this bid (IF they go down this path) will be 2 fold, increase of player pool, and adding a noche on the belt between Gafl and league, those not realising how far PVL lengths wil go to put shit on those from the fumbleball states and vic racing.. he'd make sure it was profitable, to the point where he'd be asking why we either didnt do it earlier or why ALF (snork) never bothered to try.... most posters here laugh at the thought, due to it third world status, but it has everything that an team needs... yes we would like a perth dot on the map, but where are the players... oh theyre in PNG, well f**k why are in contention then.

i get NZ2, which is both dot on the map and players.. but it doesn't seem like theres many bids ready other than chalmers old southern orcas...
Broadcast money runs the game

Perth Red

Post Whore
You all focus on the NRL treating this bid as purely a business decision, where NRL need to get monetary rewards from merch/memberships, how much do you think redcliffe or "THE" is going to bring in? I can tell you f**k all, this bid (IF they go down this path) will be 2 fold, increase of player pool, and adding a noche on the belt between Gafl and league, those not realising how far PVL lengths wil go to put shit on those from the fumbleball states and vic racing.. he'd make sure it was profitable, to the point where he'd be asking why we either didnt do it earlier or why ALF (snork) never bothered to try.... most posters here laugh at the thought, due to it third world status, but it has everything that an team needs... yes we would like a perth dot on the map, but where are the players... oh theyre in PNG, well f**k why are in contention then.

i get NZ2, which is both dot on the map and players.. but it doesn't seem like theres many bids ready other than chalmers old southern orcas...
Broadcast money runs the game
Look if the NRL was the AFL Id say PNG would be an awesome choice. But it isnt and doesnt have the same mindset as AFL when it comes to expansion. If NRL was willing to throw GWS sums of money at PNG and give them massive concessions like AFL does then yeh it'd be amazing to have PNG in the NRL. But it isn't, its a super conservative org that wants to expand without investing anything. That puts PNG at the bottom of the list for expansion, which is sad as it would be amazing if done right. Maybe when the NRL is more financially secure and its clubs equally so it can look at such a risky choice.

blukablu

Juniors
We can't even get players and coaches to stay in Auckland (ranked in the top 20 most liveable cities for a decade) for f**ks sake.

They wouldn't be able to get a single player or coach to go over to Port Moresby (consistently ranked one of the most unlivable cities in the world).

So basically we have a bid that is 100% certain to come dead last every season, possibly losing every game by 50+ and run at a loss of 10's of millions every year.

Maybe in 10-20 years but not a chance in this decade.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Look if the NRL was the AFL Id say PNG would be an awesome choice. But it isnt and doesnt have the same mindset as AFL when it comes to expansion. If NRL was willing to throw GWS sums of money at PNG and give them massive concessions like AFL does then yeh it'd be amazing to have PNG in the NRL. But it isn't, its a super conservative org that wants to expand without investing anything. That puts PNG at the bottom of the list for expansion, which is sad as it would be amazing if done right. Maybe when the NRL is more financially secure and its clubs equally so it can look at such a risky choice.
Even if they had that kind of money just lying about, and were willing to throw it at a long term expansion project, would you throw it at PNG, or would you throw it at another market where you're likely to see a larger return in a much smaller timeframe?

Let's be honest, PNG still wouldn't be in the top five even if the NRL were inclined to go down that route. That money would be headed the way of Melbourne, Adelaide, NZ etc, maybe even somewhere more exotic, long before Port Moresby got a look in.

We can't even get players and coaches to stay in Auckland (ranked in the top 20 most liveable cities for a decade) for f**ks sake.

They wouldn't be able to get a single player or coach to go over to Port Moresby (consistently ranked one of the most unlivable cities in the world).

So basically we have a bid that is 100% certain to come dead last every season, possibly losing every game by 50+ and run at a loss of 10's of millions every year.

Maybe in 10-20 years but not a chance in this decade.
There's only one member on here who pushes for PNG as an expansion team. It doesn't matter how many facts you throw at him, he'll keep on pushing this fanciful idea.

The best prospect for PNGRFL is to to enter teams in the QRL U/16s, U/18s and U/20s competitions. If that produces more talent that reaches the NRL and makes the Hunters stronger in the Queensland Cup then they could look at fielding a second team in the QRL.

Even if they had that kind of money just lying about, and were willing to throw it at a long term expansion project, would you throw it at PNG, or would you throw it at another market where you're likely to see a larger return in a much smaller timeframe?

Let's be honest, PNG still wouldn't be in the top five even if the NRL were inclined to go down that route. That money would be headed the way of Melbourne, Adelaide, NZ etc, maybe even somewhere more exotic, long before Port Moresby got a look in.

I hope our game has plans to expand into South East Asia and East Asia. Expansion doesn't have to come in the form of a team based in that part of the world. Reaching out to the growing business community could provide our game with a financial windfall that dwarfs revenue from betting companies and pokies. We have a great product and share a favourable time zone. We're living in the Asian century and much of our business interests are tied up in South East and East Asia.

If we're smart we could look at the booming smart phone market in Asia as a goldmine. All smartphone materials are produced in East Asia. I use a service called AliBaba to buy Unlocked iPhone logic boards and custom housing to repair broken iPhones and even build them from scratch.

There's so many Android OS-based companies competing for marketshare with Apple and Samsung. If we could get a few to buy into our clubs and NRL then it would be a great way for them to promote their products to a sizeable community. Clubs could sell phones through their websites and provide bundle deals with ticketed and non ticked members. Players can be used in commercials to promote the devices. Both the clubs and the phone company could make extra money by having players' autographs engraved into the phones and on the packaging it comes in.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
There's only one member on here who pushes for PNG as an expansion team. It doesn't matter how many facts you throw at him, he'll keep on pushing this fanciful idea.

The best prospect for PNGRFL is to to enter teams in the QRL U/16s, U/18s and U/20s competitions. If that produces more talent that reaches the NRL and makes the Hunters stronger in the Queensland Cup then they could look at fielding a second team in the QRL.

I hope our game has plans to expand into South East Asia and East Asia. Expansion doesn't have to come in the form of a team based in that part of the world. Reaching out to the growing business community could provide our game with a financial windfall that dwarfs revenue from betting companies and pokies. We have a great product and share a favourable time zone. We're living in the Asian century and much of our business interests are tied up in South East and East Asia.

If we're smart we could look at the booming smart phone market in Asia as a goldmine. All smartphone materials are produced in East Asia. I use a service called AliBaba to buy Unlocked iPhone logic boards and custom housing to repair broken iPhones and even build them from scratch.

There's so many Android OS-based companies competing for marketshare with Apple and Samsung. If we could get a few to buy into our clubs and NRL then it would be a great way for them to promote their products to a sizeable community. Clubs could sell phones through their websites and provide bundle deals with ticketed and non ticked members. Players can be used in commercials to promote the devices. Both the clubs and the phone company could make extra money by having players' autographs engraved into the phones and on the packaging it comes in.
Its better than pushing a wonderfully dumb idea as a "singapore" based team, which again you just did.... dumb

LimeRick

Juniors
Its better than pushing a wonderfully dumb idea as a "singapore" based team, which again you just did.... dumb

To be honest, as cool as a PNG team would be, a Singapore team still makes more sense. Not dumb at all.

Back when Super Rugby expanded, they were tossing up between a Singaporean or Japanese team. They went with Japan, but still played three games a year in Singapore. That shows the appetite for a form of rugby exists.

The economy of Singapore is 14 times larger than that of PNG. It's the centre of so many major businesses so corporate support options would be endless. It's also in the same time zone as Perth, so creates the extra TV timeslot.

Singapore is also pretty central to ASEAN - a market of close to 700m people and an economy five times the size of Australia.

The local player base would be the only downside, but it'd be much easier convincing players to move to Singapore than Port Moresby.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah a Singaporean team isn't that farfetched at all. All it'd take is some ambitious businessmen with the money and corporate links to convince the NRL. There's also a history of Singaporean and Australian teams playing in each others leagues, so it's not like it's unprecedented. The others were just before their time and/or in struggling leagues whom didn't have the means to support them.

Of course there's little to no interest in RL in Singapore, so I doubt those ambitious businessmen will appear anytime soon, if ever.

Gardenia

Juniors
I would personally love to see a PNG team. They are so committed and have some great players! I absolutely loved seeing them play in the representative round.

Honest question - why are some of you opposed to this?

I think it would be fantastic . It warms the heart to see how much they love NRL in PNG.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I would personally love to see a PNG team. They are so committed and have some great players! I absolutely loved seeing them play in the representative round.

I think it would be fantastic . It warms the heart to see how much they love NRL in PNG.
How much PNG's adoration for RL warms the heart is, and always has been, irrelevant to the discussion.

A PNG NRL side is not financially sustainable or economically viable, and almost certainly won't be for generations. As such, giving them a team now would be setting them up for failure, and putting the NRL up for a financial blackhole.

Furthermore, there're better expansion opportunities on the table for the NRL and RL as a whole, even if a sustainable business plan could be created for a PNG side to join the NRL in the short term.

flippikat

Bench
The economy of Singapore is 14 times larger than that of PNG. It's the centre of so many major businesses so corporate support options would be endless. It's also in the same time zone as Perth, so creates the extra TV timeslot.
The timezone is an interesting aspect - two teams in that timezone would mean you could potentially schedule a late slot (say 9pm Eastern Time on Saturday night) far more frequently than with one team based in that timezone.

It's the luxury that AFL have with Perth & Freemantle in that zone, but no other sports leagues can currently match that.

Gardenia

Juniors
How much PNG's adoration for RL warms the heart is, and always has been, irrelevant to the discussion.

A PNG NRL side is not financially sustainable or economically viable, and almost certainly won't be for generations. As such, giving them a team now would be setting them up for failure, and putting the NRL up for a financial blackhole.

Furthermore, there're better expansion opportunities on the table for the NRL and RL as a whole, even if a sustainable business plan could be created for a PNG side to join the NRL in the short term

Furthermore, there're better expansion opportunities on the table for the NRL and RL as a whole, even if a sustainable business plan could be created for a PNG side to join the NRL in the short term.
You make some relevant points but how is the fan base in PNG and also their huge popularity amongst Aussies irrelevant? That's a great marketing and PR tool. Good PR = money.

blukablu

Juniors

A side from the fact that it would be completely unviable economically.

They would get stomped 50+ every single game and come deadlast for a decade. Honestly look how much NZ struggles to get players to Auckland. A PNG NRL team would not look too much different from the current PNG Hunters.