What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Wb1234

Referee
Current proposal

1. solely based in png
2. Will likely involve tax cuts for players, a private resort for players on the beach and Wayne Bennett as coach
3. 600 million of which nrl gets 50, png team 300 million and junior pathways etc 250 milion
4. Andrew hill is confident of putting together a bid which has strong finances with lots of support from corporates

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Question for Mr Facts:

Australian players will be living in the resort/beach. Will the flood of PNG players that will come be allowed in?

Colk

First Grade
Not new critism old criticism

critisise the actual bid as it stands now

not the one you think it is

Those criticisms are still there because they haven’t been addressed yet (nor are they likely to be). Essentially it is only you seeing the bid as a good idea because you idolise V’Landys. A stupid idea is a stupid idea wherever or whomever it comes from.

Tax incentives (even for instance if it were to be approved and that’s a big if) don’t suddenly make the country a first world country nor would living in a closed compound make it particular enticing.

The only way a PNG side works is if the country itself becomes developed, political corruption ceases, infrastructure is improved and violence dissipates. Until those things actually happen then this is the embodiment of putting the cart before the horse

Wb1234

Referee
Those criticisms are still there because they haven’t been addressed yet (nor are they likely to be). Essentially it is only you seeing the bid as a good idea because you idolise V’Landys. A stupid idea is a stupid idea wherever or whomever it comes from.

Tax incentives (even for instance if it were to be approved and that’s a big if) don’t suddenly make the country a first world country nor would living in a closed compound make it particular enticing.

The only way a PNG side works is if the country itself becomes developed, political corruption ceases, infrastructure is improved and violence dissipates. Until those things actually happen then this is the embodiment of putting the cart before the horse
PNG won’t have problems attracting players

(Tax, resort, Bennett)

adapt your arguments to the bid

Wb1234

Referee
Adapt yours.

FMD a resort - everybody loves being enclosed in the same place and watched 24/7.
It’s a resort

So you don’t think Wayne Bennett will be able to attract players with the players living on the beach and maybe getting huge tax cuts ?

yea or no ?

Brian potter

Bench
Current proposal

1. solely based in png
2. Will likely involve tax cuts for players, a private resort for players on the beach and Wayne Bennett as coach
3. 600 million of which nrl gets 50, png team 300 million and junior pathways etc 250 milion
4. Andrew hill is confident of putting together a bid which has strong finances with lots of support from corporates
Who on earth would want to live in a gated resort surrounded by barbed wire and armed guards?

MugaB

Coach
deflection.

would the Australian taxpayers be footing the bill as well?
f**k you are unbelievablely slow, yes dimwit, are they footing the bill for the Fijian Drua and Moana Pacifika?
I get you're a pom, but stupid doesn't have to be part of the genetic make up of every pom

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
There are no facts. There are no facts because heck they don’t even know how it is going to work. At one time it was going to be based in Cairns, now it is going to be based in PNG in a compound. Even the $600m was supposedly just going to education programs and for the team. Now a compound is being built as well.

I’ll reiterate: no other sport has done this because it is not a good idea. If the money is dependent on implementing a bad idea then you walk away instead of implementing said bad idea. At least wait until such a time as the PNG society can fund this team, there are proper strategies and planning in place and doesn’t require a government being involved
This doesn't work coz rugby union have 2 teams in the SR that are bankrolled by governments, not sure you can say other sports don't do it, they are already doing it

Brian potter

Bench
f**k you are unbelievablely slow, yes dimwit, are they footing the bill for the Fijian Drua and Moana Pacifika?
I get you're a pom, but stupid doesn't have to be part of the genetic make up of ever pom
You mentioned the “esl” which I presume to be the English super league.

Colk

First Grade
This doesn't work coz rugby union have 2 teams in the SR that are bankrolled by governments, not sure you can say other sports don't do it, they are already doing it

Ok a good competition you would want to model yourself on

Colk

First Grade
It’s a resort

So you don’t think Wayne Bennett will be able to attract players with the players living on the beach and maybe getting huge tax cuts ?

yea or no ?

Not if I can’t go anywhere I wouldn’t. Don’t you remember going through COVID-19?

MugaB

Coach
No one has said anything about a resort.
And 97 Wayne Bennett strutting around the beach in his dickstickers is hardly a selling point.
It is to me.. but I'm not a coke snorting RL marquee athlete, like the ones you guys are assuming PNG needs.. who cares who this bid attracts, we are trying to garner the papuans into their own pathway, if they get 10 wooden spoons in a row then so be it, the game isn't losing money from their existence, I don't get why all this angst around team based in a foreign country, I get that you all want to shìt on the idea, but push come to shove the NRL is a business, and having the other already established teams collect spoons isn't great for business, cowboys are a great example of sitting around the bottom of their whole existence till Thurston got them in regular finals