What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Points vs Tigers

hitman82

Bench
Yeah actually fair enough, 7 is too many. But Johnson did make 16, including a 1-on-1, which is decent for a halfback. Obviously because they were targeting him.
At least one of those misses was as Mannering slipped over. But still, I don't think 7 is that terrible for a 2nd-game halfback playing against a powerful centre who's being fed by the current Kiwi's captain.
My conclusion:
Johnson is worth keeping in the team despite "in progress D".
Mannering was the one on that side who needed to step up in the period and didn't.
Rapira also missed 4 incidentally.

Warmess

Juniors
In his debut vs the Chooks, our attack looked pretty damn woeful. Yesterday our attack looked at a bare minimum as good as what Seymour would produce in terms of organisation. He will get there with his D, it's not great, but yesterday he had sfa help out there. A small half in his second fg game with little to no help up against Marshall and Ayshford is going to be in for a rough day.

He did a f**k load more than a lot of other players on the field, and should be one of the first named tomorrow.

jaseg

Juniors
I can't give points to Johnson - he was good in attack (loved seeing him burn McKinnon on the outside for that try), but missed a couple of tackles that turned out to be very costly.

1/2 Mateo / Locke (can't split)
3 Matulino

edit: Just read some of the later posts RE halfbacks missing tackles... the best halfback I've ever seen was Andrew Johns - obviously great in attack, but how many tackles did he miss? (not very bloody many! especially with the game on the line) Everyone has to defend... while halves get a little more leeway, they still must be able to defend.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
v the Rabbitohs- Seymour missed 7, Maloney 12

Maloney is an atrocious defender. And he loves a penalty.

Alll in all our halves our tripe defensively. Its almost humorous to see Seymour get plaudits for his defense, I think its because the rest of our halves are such turnstyles that he stands out as being decent.

I also think at halftime Johnson would have had 1 maybe 2 misses. It was the last 15 minutes that really destroyed it for him. That said, the whole left edge defensively is a joke. Manu defends on his own (he'd be in the top 10 worst wing defenders in the NRL), Johnson at times was running out of the line and creating a gap on his inside, and Mannering had a Barry Crocker. It looked fairly likely there was little to no communication going on out there.

devoid

Juniors
He will be picked tomorrow. Even if Seymour gets a recall in the coming weeks, SJ is the future - that is pretty obvious.

armchaircritic

Juniors
3. Mateo
2. Matulino
1. Locke

Couldn't watch the game live, watched the replay this morning knowing the result. The last 15 minutes were very hard to watch (I almost considered turning it off when we went 22-4 up). Mannering had a shocker, 3 of the 4 tries were scored on his side.

hitman82

Bench
Haha, yeah communication isn't the strong point down that side. Not overly surprising when you have Mateo, Vatuvei (who panics a lot in D), Johnson (a rookie half) and Mannering (a frustrated captain) teamed up.

ozbash

Referee
7 tackles is a lot of missed tackles. The rest of the halfbacks over the weekend were around 3, except for Prince and he's a bit of a dud defender.

for a large part of the game Shaun was between Mannering and Manu.

that needs a pretty good defender when Benji is throwing them wide.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
3 - Mateo
2 - Matulino
1 - Locke

Mannering had a bit of a shocker but with Luck out for 8 weeks I'd move Inu out to left centre, Brown back to the pack and Mannering to right centre with Fish on the wing. I'd be dropping Berrigan too, bring in Mara we need quick ball from dummy. I wouldn't mind too if Mateo took up the playmaker role in the opposition 20.

AliN

Live Update Team
Berrigan, if Cleary insists on playing him, is way better at centre. Mannering to go back where he should be with Luck's injury.

Iafeta

Referee
for a large part of the game Shaun was between Mannering and Manu.

that needs a pretty good defender when Benji is throwing them wide.

No argument. Mannering is usually fairly good, Manu was par for the course defensively (IE dreadful and always caught in field for no good reason).

Rich102

Staff member
This week's results:

Mateo 57
Locke 44
Matulino 43
Johnson 5
Vatuvei 2
St Rapira 2
Inu 1