What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police investigation - latest news

ibeme

First Grade
I just heard on the News Bulletin on 2GB that the police are close to handing over their package of evidence to the DPP to consider laying charges. Police are also asking for a 7th player who, based on evidence from witnesses, police believe was in the pool area at the time the alledged events unfolded. Police have said that he wasn't involved in the incident, but police believe that he could provide vital information.

It's quite puzzling that they already have witnesses, who claim that another player was in the area at the time, but have yet to lay charges based on their accounts.

It's also believed that DNA testing could take up to 2-3 weeks, depending on the difficulty involved in extracting the samples (some are harder than others).

If there was another player who could act as a witness, I hope he comes forward and tells the police everything he saw.

junior009

Juniors
I saw something similar on one of the FOX news channels. The one I saw said that charges were expected to be laid against several players!!! They too said police were trying to find the identity of a seventh player. According to FOX there will be a press conference held "soon" I don't know if that means today, tomorrow or what....we will have to wait and see.

ibeme

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/09/1078594338335.html

Police urge key Bulldog to tell all in secret
March 9, 2004 - 11:35AM

NSW police today appealed to a Bulldogs player to provide what they described as crucial evidence to an alleged pack rape by his teammates. And they promised to keep his identity secret if he tells all.

Detectives today said they believed six players were involved in the alleged rape of a 20-year-old woman in Coffs Harbour after a pre-season match there more than two weeks ago.

Twenty-three players had so far given "scant" statements to police and provided DNA, but a crucial witness needed to provide more information, Detective Inspector Jason Breton said today.

"We have some information that a seventh person was walking from the pool area shortly before or after the alleged incident," Det Insp Breton told reporters.

"He would be a key witness for us."

Det Insp Breton assured that person and other witnesses they could retain anonymity if they were to help with inquiries.

All except one Bulldog team member provided police with DNA samples last week, with up to 12 only giving prepared statements, police said.

A number of other hotel guests may have information which could "add value" to the investigation, Det Insp Breton said.

They just had a news update on 10 and said that they expect 2 players to be charged.

*edit* 9 just had a report and basically said what has been reported. A 7th player has been asked to come forward and the players will be interviewed again then it will be transferred to the DPP for them to lay charges.

ibeme

First Grade
This is very sad news indeed. I just hope justice is served.

As for the future of the Bulldogs, our fate may be sealed in part by losing sponsorship. It also seems now that the league's club runs a real risk of losing their license as a result of the Salary Cap/Oasis scandal. If both of these come to fruition, then I can't see any way forward for the club.

El Diablo

Post Whore
ibeme said:

As for the future of the Bulldogs, our fate may be sealed in part by losing sponsorship. It also seems now that the league's club runs a real risk of losing their license as a result of the Salary Cap/Oasis scandal. If both of these come to fruition, then I can't see any way forward for the club.

If that all happened maybe a re-location could save the name?

ibeme

First Grade
El Duque said:
ibeme said:

If that all happened maybe a re-location could save the name?

Possibly, but I doubt that any candidate regions would want to be associated with the Bulldogs name after this. They'd want a positive start to any new team, and I wouldn't blame them.

junior009

Juniors
I think you can be pretty confident that your club won't die. It may be hurt financially and reputation wise by yet another scandal, but the club won't die. I'm quite positive of that.

The Colonel

Immortal
Given that Bing Lee stopped talks over the potential sponsorship and Lysaght have just pulled out it could hurt them more. They still had to come up with the money for the last NRL imposed fine. Any more sponsors re-considering their deals may make life difficult for the Dogs.

bronwync

Juniors
hi im slightly new to all this forum stuff and im not on here to hassle any players,fans,management or anyone associated with the bulldogs im here as a fan in general of the nrl.
i totally feel for any family members of the players but the next question is
how far is to far ........
how will the players involved explain to they wives/girlfriends and do they think that a simple sorry will make everyone involved (meaning you the fan ,bulldogs management ,friends/family and the alleged victim and her family) feel better about the situation......
do they all expect special treatment just because they r footy players cos it seems that way....
once again im not here to throw any below the belt punches at anyone
but if u do the crime u do the time this is a motto everyone should adhere to.........
thanks bronwync

Welcome Bronwyn, all we can hope is that the issues that have arisen from this as a whole are addressed and solutions found to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Unfortunately, it seems the only way to get a message to organisations is to hit them in the pocket. It's a very unfortunate situation, all we can hope is that as a community we can express our thoughts and find some solution.

ibeme

First Grade
bronwync said:
hi im slightly new to all this forum stuff and im not on here to hassle any players,fans,management or anyone associated with the bulldogs im here as a fan in general of the nrl.
i totally feel for any family members of the players but the next question is
how far is to far ........
how will the players involved explain to they wives/girlfriends and do they think that a simple sorry will make everyone involved (meaning you the fan ,bulldogs management ,friends/family and the alleged victim and her family) feel better about the situation......
do they all expect special treatment just because they r footy players cos it seems that way....
once again im not here to throw any below the belt punches at anyone
but if u do the crime u do the time this is a motto everyone should adhere to.........
thanks bronwync

I think you'll find after reading through these forums that most people would agree with you completely. Nobody is suggesting that the players any differently than anyone else, in fact most people are demanding that the receive the same treatment. What people tend to have issues with is the media's speculation and sensationalism. We'd rather just have the facts reported, and make up our minds based on that.

bronwync

Juniors
thank u to all of those people who have replied and i understand fully from where u guys r coming from and i also understand that the media has blown alot of the issue out of the water but the statement i was trying to make was that a simple sorry is not gonna make any of this any better for those involved,not only have they tarnished their own club but it also makes every other club in the nrl look bad.
but to be honest i dont think that any one of us except 4 those involved will know what exactley happened........thank u for ur time bronwync

troydodds

Juniors
An interesting problem:

If the players are charged, should the Bulldogs and/or NRL take action?

They keep saying they will take action if the alleged assault is proven, BUT the actually "proving" of alleged incidents happens in the court system.

So, what happens if the club takes action, but the players are found not guilty? Can the player then not sue the club for damages, loss of wages etc?

But on the other hand, are we left with potential rapists actually playing in the NRL?

Troy

ibeme

First Grade
The bulldogs have state that they'll immediately stand down any player that is charged. I do't know if the players will have any founds on which to take legal action against the club if their guilt can't be proven. From my understanding, once someone is charged with a crime, they go into police custody, but can be released on bail. I don't think any employer has an obligation to keep someone on who's a potential criminal.

JK

troydodds said:
If he does that, he's opening up a legal mindfield .... what IF the players are found not guilty?

No legal minefield here.

The players will be publically known (so no repercussions from exposing their identity) and it is common practice in other fields. For example police are stood down with pay (sometimes without) in the course of investigations.

I'm sure the club will act as soon as charges are laid.