What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police investigation - latest news

ibeme

First Grade
Just an update. Nothing alarming one way or the other.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1260&storyid=1046765

Bulldogs rape claim revisited

By CINDY WOCKNER

March 16, 2004

DETECTIVES will today speak again with the young woman who claims to have been raped by members of the Canterbury Bulldogs team – to clarify parts of her statement.

The Daily Telegraph understands the state crime command officers will go to Coffs Harbour today for the meeting.

The 20-year-old woman has told police she was raped by up to six Bulldogs players at a swimming pool area of the Pacific Bay Resort in the early hours of February 22 this year.

The detectives will also again speak to the young woman's female friend, who was with her at the resort that morning.

The decision to speak to both women again and to seek clarification of certain parts of their statements is not unusual police practice in sexual assault cases.

Detectives from strike force McGuigon, set up to investigate the rape claims, are still waiting for the results of DNA tests.

Twenty-three of the 24 players have voluntarily supplied their DNA to police for comparison with DNA material and forensic evidence taken from the victim.

However, the tests have not been finalised. In addition, most of the players have supplied police with prepared statements about their movements on the night and early morning of the alleged rape.

The young woman and her friend have told police they met the players in Coffs Harbour on the evening after the Bulldogs played a trial match there and went back to the team's hotel with them.

The victim is alleged to have had consensual sex with one player. She was later found by a resort housekeeper, soaking wet and sobbing uncontrollably.

The scandal has plunged the Bulldogs into a new crisis, which has seen them lose sponsors for this year's rugby league season.

It comes one year after a similar scandal, in which a 42-year-old woman made a police complaint that she was sexually assaulted by a player while another watched. In that case the DPP opted not to proceed with charges.

The issue has rocked rugby league and – following on from the salary cap crisis – cost the Bulldogs more than $2 million in lost sponsorship and fines.

Since the allegations emerged on February 23, the Bulldogs shorts sponsor, steel manufacturer, Bluescope Lysaught severed ties, ending a deal worth $150,000 a year.

Retailing chain Bing Lee, which had been negotiating a $500,000 two-year deal to become the team's sleeve sponsor and was set to sign before the allegations were made and the company decided to withdraw last week.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Mark Rudd said:
If the club folds, consider packing up and shipping to Melbourne and becoming Storm fans?

Wouldn't THAT shock the AFL. Storm's home crowds jumping from 10,000 to 30,000+ in one year!

Then with the Victoria Cops willingness to use weapons, I think by the end of the year they'd be down to 15,000 again.

misty

Juniors
They should be kicked out of this years comp.......... end of story!
I hope all their sponsers piss them off

ibeme

First Grade
misty said:
They should be kicked out of this years comp.......... end of story!
I hope all their sponsers piss them off

That'd mean one less home game for most of the clubs, which means less revenue for them.

It's just not as simple as kicking them out, because it punishes everyone in various ways.

misty

Juniors
Well they should kick those players out of the season anyway, I guess I was a bit harsh blameing the whole team.

ibeme

First Grade
misty said:
Well they should kick those players out of the season anyway, I guess I was a bit harsh blameing the whole team.

If any players are charged, they'll be dropped pending the outcome of the trial.

Those players who breached the rules will also be penalised, including those who dressed poorly for the police interviews. Some may be dismissed.

misty

Juniors
When does the trial start ibeme?
and how can the team perform in their matches with all this going on surely it will effect the way they perform as a whole.

ibeme

First Grade
misty said:
When does the trial start ibeme?
and how can the team perform in their matches with all this going on surely it will effect the way they perform as a whole.

There won't be a trial unless charges are laid. The police are still investigating the matter, but have not yet laid charges. If they do lay charges, then a trial date will be set by whoever does that sort of thing.

The police are unlikely to lay charges unless they can gather enough evidence to prove that the players are guilty. As yet, they've yet to gather enough evidence.

The players were totally switched on for the game against Parra, which amazed me. I don't know how they can focus with these allegations and media reports hanging over their heads.

[furrycat]

Coach
That's why I think its all bogus...

If the doggies were guilty, wouldn't you think they'd have in their minds "Oh no... What if we get charged tonight... What if this is my last ever game!"... All players were switched on, and not affected. The police said 2 weeks ago "We're gonna lay charges today" but nothing has happened.

ibeme

First Grade
[furrycat said:
]That's why I think its all bogus...

If the doggies were guilty, wouldn't you think they'd have in their minds "Oh no... What if we get charged tonight... What if this is my last ever game!"... All players were switched on, and not affected. The police said 2 weeks ago "We're gonna lay charges today" but nothing has happened.

Just to clarify, the police didn't say they were going to lay charges. The media took the police's statement that the matter would be referred to the DPP and ran with it. The police later came out and corrected what was portrayed in the media, and said that that the referral could still be weeks away.

Moffo

Referee
IMO, police don't have enough to convict. They would've done it weeks ago if they did.

They have nothing

Cheers,
Moffo

misty

Juniors
Well they wouldn't have done it weeks ago they have to be sure, DNA takes time and if they charged someone and that person somehow gets off then the cops can be sued for false arrest it could get very ugly being high profile players and everything.

ibeme

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9006988%5E28793,00.html

Woman 'had row' with Bulldog
By Steve Barrett
March 19, 2004

ONE of six Canterbury Bulldogs players who allegedly pack-raped a 20-year-old woman at a Coffs Harbour resort last month argued with the girl and rejected her advances just before the alleged attack.

The row is said to have occured about 5.30am when the Plantation's Xtreme nightclub shut.

The Australian can reveal this information has been given to police investigators, the National Rugby League and the Canterbury Leagues Club by a doorman at the hotel where the players had been drinking in the early hours of February 22.

The statements provided by the doorman of the Plantation Hotel on the NSW mid-north coast add considerably to sketchy accounts of the hours leading up to the alleged assault.

The man, who did not wish to be identified, said the argument took place on the footpath outside the hotel about 5.30am when the bars were shut down. He said the alleged victim then approached him asking for him to intervene on her behalf.

Investigators have been told the woman became agitated and began slapping the doorman in the chest before being asked to leave.

The Australian understands the player, who was waiting for a taxi with other players to go to the Pacific Bay Resort, rejected the girl's advances and called her an insulting name.

The Australian also understands the young woman had consensual sex in a backpackers room, part of the multi-million-dollar Plantation Hotel complex, with another Canterbury player earlier in the night.

It is understood the alleged victim's girlfriend, who has the same Christian name, had booked one of the backpacker rooms because she lives more than 30km out of town.

The woman eventually left the hotel to travel by taxi to the Pacific Bay Resort with a third Bulldog player, who took her to the lap pool, which is now the focus of the police investigation.

Both the alleged victim and the taxi driver were reinterviewed by a different team of police on Wednesday, officers from the State Command's sexual crimes unit.

The investigation potentially has weeks to run, with this second police team planning to re-interview all witnesses in the case.

They could not say how many of the players would be asked to attend a second interview.

In a letter of support to the Bulldogs, published on the club's website, Plantation Hotel licensee Harry Barry has attacked inaccurate reports on the conduct of the players on the night of the alleged rape.

The letter says: "I can say categorically that, 1) the players were not drunk, disorderly or insulting while at the hotel, 2) there were no fights involving Bulldog players in the hotel that night, 3) no Bulldogs players were evicted from the hotel, 4) I did not see nor did anyone complain to me or a member of my staff about the behaviour of the Bulldogs while at the hotel, and 5) indeed, staff, regular customers and the Bulldogs had a most enjoyable night."

The Australian

JK

That is a very interesting article which places a different spin on proceedings altogether.

-Would the player who had consensual sex earlier in the night appear in a DNA test?
- Does the information provided agree with the players and woman's statements to police and the account of the taxi driver?

Hmm...

ibeme

First Grade
I might be wrong, but I sense a slight change in wind direction by the tone of this article

Latest posts