What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police investigation - latest news

El Diablo

Post Whore
Wasn't a ref stood down a year or two ago whilst something was going on at the police integrity commision?

[furrycat]

Coach
Be positive guys... If players are charged, who says that the police aren't wrong? Police charge people everyday... and a lot of the time, they are found innocent.

Objective One

Juniors
Logic says that given the white hot environment that has and will prevail in this matter, the police and DPP will be dotting every i and crossing every t before they charge just on career progress grounds alone. Probably should not mean any higher standard of thoroughness just because of the background of who the accused are and the circumstances but I'll bet you it has/will. A failure to convict on any of theses possible charges will stand out like the proverbial on the old resume!! That is not to say that there's not a hell of a long way from the charge room to Long Bay - look at the highly technical reasons behind the successful appeal last week in another recent high profile pack rape case. Indeed that fair trial issue will be perhaps even hotter here should charges be laid and the cases run.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
troydodds said:
But most employers don't have contracts with their employees
I would disagree here. Most employee sign a shite load of stuff at the commencement of employment, not contract persay, but a series of company policy documents. Usually there would be a clause indicating the procedure should an employee be involved in a criminal matter.
Just like renters sign a standard agreement stating they will not perform illegal activities whilst on the property. If you have signed a rental agreement - that is in there.

RB30DETT

Juniors
Bulldogs Media Release

COFFS HARBOUR INVESTIGATION
We have received reports on comments allegedly made by Detective Inspector Breton at a news conference this morning. At the time these comments were being made I am advised that the Club’s legal representatives were in conference with the Senior Detectives from Strike Force McGuigan at the Parramatta Police Centre. We are advised by our legal advisers that the comments attributed to Detective Inspector Breton are at odds with comments made privately to them at this morning’s meeting. We as a Club have been endeavouring to assist the NSW Police Department in bringing this enquiry to a speedy conclusion. As you are aware, all the Bulldogs players deny any involvement in a criminal attack alleged to have occurred at Coffs Harbour on February 22 last. All the Bulldogs players with the exception of Hazem El Masri have voluntarily attended for police records of interview and have voluntarily given DNA samples. Hazem El Masri, as we understand the police position, is not alleged to have been involved in the alleged attack.

Until Detective Inspector Breton’s news conference this morning, neither the Club nor its legal advisers had been advised by investigating police that they had information about at seventh player allegedly able to assist them. If such information does in fact exist we ask that the police pass it on to our legal advisers in the appropriate manner so that they may make enquiries and respond, also, in an appropriate manner. Each and every player who attended Coffs Harbour strenuously denies any involvement in any alleged wrong doing. Every one of those players is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

The police enquiry is still continuing. It is important to bear in mind that the police, upon conclusion of this inquiry, will refer the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions for further consideration. No charges will be laid prior to the conclusion of this process, if any charges are laid at all. Apart from repeating that all our players deny any involvement in any wrong doing at Coffs Harbour, we do not wish to add further to the considerable speculation that already surrounds this matter. As we have previously stated, this Club will not engage in conduct or comment, which could potentially prejudice the outcome of this enquiry. We look forward to its early conclusion.

Steve Mortimer
Chief Executive Officer OAM
Bulldogs Rugby League Club

gaterooze

Bench
troydodds said:
But most employers don't have contracts with their employees

*EVERY* employer has a contract with their employees. It doesn't matter if there's no formal document, or any document at all, you don't even need a signature -- there is still a contract of employment in place.

gaterooze

Bench
As that other "fair trial" case has shown, the media has screwed this up so absolutely... look, IF some of these players are guilty and are charged, their lawyers will be able to so easily get them off the hook because an impartial jury will be impossible to find. They'll finagle a way out of this for their clients. And that will be the real tragedy -- if there are guilty people who get off the hook.

Of course, the flip side is this -- if they ARE innocent, and are not charged, then they will still be seen as guilty in a lot of people's eyes.

Either way, there is no good outcome from this. If the media had let the police do their bloody jobs before whipping the public into a frenzy over this, maybe justice could still be done, one way or another. Now, it's unlikely.

El Duque said:
Wasn't a ref stood down a year or two ago whilst something was going on at the police integrity commision?
Yes Sean Hampstead was stood in the finals series, he was giving evidence in the Police Royal Commission and it was thought he may be under stress and may not be able to focus on game play.

ibeme

First Grade
This is an extract from a transcript of ABC radio's PM program yesterday. I don't know if this means that players have denied having sex, it's a bit ambiguous, but interesting. It might mean that the DNA tests will be more crucial, if it's not a matter of consent.

...DAVID HARDAKER: And did any of the 23 players interviewed admit even to having consensual sex with the 20-year-old woman?

JASON BRETON: No.

DAVID HARDAKER: That's no as in not one...

Full transcript is here:
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2004/s1062422.htm

Kaz

junior
So if they find the players DNA matches, that would put them in some trouble.

ibeme

First Grade
It simply might mean that they've not made any indication one way or the other about whether they've had sex with her. Half of them didn't answer questions, but offered prepared statements instead.

ibeme

First Grade
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1260&storyid=1022341

Seventh man 'doesn't exist'

By ANTHONY PETERSON

March 11, 2004

BULLDOGS players have distanced themselves from the alleged rape of a woman at a resort, telling police they went straight to their rooms after partying at various nightspots.

A number of players admitted hitting the town on February 21 and returning to the Pacific Bay Resort in the early hours of the next morning.

Members of the Bulldogs' squad last week provided detectives with either a prepared statement or read the statement to officers.

The Daily Telegraph understands the statements were only a few paragraphs long and effectively removed the players from the vicinity of the pool where the alleged attack occurred.

A 20-year-old Coffs Harbour woman alleges six players raped her after forcing her clothes off in the pool.

When the players attended the Sydney Police Centre they refused to answer questions, as is their legal right, but submitted to a DNA test.

Only winger Hazem El Masri refused to provide a statement and a DNA sample.

Bulldogs management yesterday reacted to police claims that a player could provide vital information about what went on at the resort pool.

Detectives said the sexual assault allegedly involved six players but a seventh team member was possibly in the area at the time. Police stressed he is not a suspect.

Bulldogs chairman George Peponis said he doubted the existence of the seventh player but urged anyone with information to help police.

"If there is a seventh player, I would encourage him to come forward, but I don't know that there is a seventh player," he said.

Club chief executive Steve Mortimer also encouraged players to assist the inquiry but warned any player found guilty of sexual assault would be banished from the club and the league community.

"I believe what the players are saying to me," he said.

"If there is lies . . . then those players don't have a future in our game or in our club.

"They are innocent until proven guilty and I want this to be brought to a finality.

"If a player is lying, what do you think I'd do? I don't tolerate that."

The players are persistant in their denials of any involvement. They must be confident that the DNA tests won't reveal anything.

gaterooze

Bench
Ah, that's interesting -- the players who gave prepared statements were the players who had gone to sleep and weren't anywhere near the pool.

Previously, reports had made it seem that the players who gave the "scant" prepared statements were the alleged perpetrators. Turns out that was extremely misleading. Of course the players who weren't there would give "scant" statements -- they couldn't have seen anything anyway!

Sharkie73

Bench
From what I've read and heard today, the sponsors are jumping of the ship before it sinks. Even if the players are found not guilty the stigma will always be there and may prevent major sponors coming to the club!! I have also heard that the Police are about to charge 2 players?? If this is true, I hate to say it but It may be the straw that broke the camels back.
I have a question;
1. If the leagues club gets hammered in the courts with fines and loses its licence.
2. All sponsors pull out.
Even if one of the above happens how will the club pay the players????? and do you think the players will stay at the club for alot less money. :(

I'm sorry to sat ONEYE the police do have something or they woudn't wasted all this money, time and man power.
I just hope that the hole thing is sorted asap, Both for the players, supporters.

El Diablo

Post Whore
One thinks that it would also be hard to attract players to the club in the future even if no charges are laid.

ibeme

First Grade
If they lose any players, either through code of conduct breaches, or through charges, then that'd free up some money. Depending on who they lose, that could go some way towards covering lost sponsorship.

As for the ongoing appeal of the club for sponsors and players, that's where the club really needs to step up. They need to go on the front, and be proactive in promoting all of the things they've been accused of snubbing. They need to make it their goal to become the example, the benchmark if respectability. They need for the rugby league community to notice, and admire the direction they're taking.

How to do this though, I don't know. I think they need professional help.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
If the club folds, consider packing up and shipping to Melbourne and becoming Storm fans?

Wouldn't THAT shock the AFL. Storm's home crowds jumping from 10,000 to 30,000+ in one year!

Latest posts