What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pom guilty - gets 2 match ban

webShark

if a similar incident goes unpunished this weekend, then yes the Sharks are being targeted, should move to Perth blah blah blah

Correct. The problem is inconsistency. IMO, Pom was guilty and 2 weeks about right. But Benji gets off, ridiculous. Mini had no real intent but clearly hits the head and walks scott free. Pom's biggest problem was being the first to be charged after the rule change. I was expecting more weeks. What puzzled me was why the hell he did it? The game was gone and taking JT out of the finals hardly helped the Sharks.i could have understood it after 5 minutes. Amazed the Cowboys risked JT for no gain. If Pom had injured him he would have got more than 2.

Top soccer teams would have fielded a virtual reserve grade team if nothing to play for.

I agree with the poster who suggested we would be irate if some Cowboys nuffie smashed TC in a similar fashion.

Quigs

Immortal
It's all got to the bottom of the barrel for me right now.

And the barrel has a big label on it plastered in bold font that screams 'FARCICAL BULLSHIT'

And beside the barrel is a sign that says "Watch This Space"

Quigs retreats singing:

"Mini ....Mini ... Min-neee-chell-lowwwww"

"Min-neee-chell-lowwwww, Min-neee-chell-lowwwww, Minichell-lowwwww,"

Last edited:

gunnamatta bay

Referee
So let me get this right. The ARL board decided to bypass the match review committee and dictate all alleged shoulder charges resulting in contact with the head are automatically referred to the judiciary. So who actually makes the decision there was contact to the scone? Is it still the match review committee and if so do they review the video footage before making the referral? Or is there some clandestine mob who make the decision?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I thought that in these enlightened times the coaches were being involved in end of season pow wows with the powers that be to sort out any anomalies that crop up during the course of the premiership yet several coaches including our own were quoted as expressing their surprise at this new development (don't say that word!).

Is it any wonder the average fan gets a little bit peeved?

coolumsharkie

Referee
Even though the focus is on the Pomm for us at the moment, the game has become for the fans uninterpretable in many area's. I constantly hear myself and others around me saying " WTF was that for?" more so now than at any time in my 35+ years of playing/following the game. I'm happy for the game to evolve to suit the modern era of technology but too many things have taken the sport away from the hands and hearts and minds of the public and ended up in the pockets of some big corporation. The end result being that eventually you begin to lose interest, mine is waning.

So yes, watch this space, because if it continues down this path...

This space will be empty.

Quigs

Immortal
We should run a poll on who will be wiped out of the finals or the GF.

Or, who the powers to be want wiped out from the finals or GF this year.

I'll nominate Smiffy or Gal from our mob.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Even though the focus is on the Pomm for us at the moment, the game has become for the fans uninterpretable in many area's. I constantly hear myself and others around me saying " WTF was that for?" more so now than at any time in my 35+ years of playing/following the game. I'm happy for the game to evolve to suit the modern era of technology but too many things have taken the sport away from the hands and hearts and minds of the public and ended up in the pockets of some big corporation. The end result being that eventually you begin to lose interest, mine is waning.

So yes, watch this space, because if it continues down this path...

This space will be empty.

The year of WTF for sure. It had an auspicious start with our first round game vs the tigers/magpies

Quigs

Immortal
WTF ........ GIVE A THOUGHT FOR NEXT SEASON ALREADY.

How do you think all the NON-DONKEY supporters north of the Tweed are going to respond next year when the Donkeys are on LIVE EVERY f**king FRIDAY NIGHT .

Geeze I feel sorry for those Qld-ers that follow the Cows and the Tits. Are they Queensland clubs too. You wouldn't bloody think so.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Agree with all that. But you know what I reckon they'll have to change their tune very feckin soon. As soon as the other precious clubs start feeling the financial pinch that our masterfull managers have brilliantly evaded they will come arunnin. I'd love us to do a Bob Katter on em " now you aresoles can listen to us for a change". That's the space i'm watching...well that and the airspace;-)

gunnamatta bay

Referee
So what penalty will Mr Kite be calling for in relation to the Jason King and Steve Matai reports? Both appeared to attack the head so I'm guessing he will want the death penalty if he is consistent.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Yup, not to mention the shoulder charges that didnt quite connect but the intent was there. They weren't even mentioned. I used to dismiss the conspiracy bit with the Sharkies but I see what everyone is banging on about now.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
What would you rather be hit with in the head? An elbow or a shoulder? Elbows are a lot harder, pointer and boney so I would opt for the shoulder anyday if it came to a choice. So why aren't elbows automatically referred to the judiciary?

The board started this madness lets see them explain this latest debacle.

Sharkman

Juniors
I laugh every time I see Manly fired up. You just know Matai is going to rip in with a high shot after some niggle. He'd have to be done for at least 2 weeks, plus loadings. King might get off.

Angriest mo fo I've ever seen, Matai. Can't believe he's never got into strife outside the field. He'd have to be target for ppl out on the piss!

Two weeks was fair for Pom with the new edict.

NRL aren't alone in mid season or just before finals changes to rules. NBA & NFL both operate that way, reactionary like. Sucks, but every team knew what the interpretation change was.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Angriest mo fo I've ever seen, Matai. Can't believe he's never got into strife outside the field. He'd have to be target for ppl out on the piss!

Almost got murdered by a group of Polys on the way home in the off season a few years ago. Choc Watmough protected him and ended up fending them off. Owes him his life he reckons. So yeah he has gotten into trouble. I saw him at the Wharf Hotel with the team one night. Everyone else was really cool and jovial. But if you looked at him he snarled back at you. Dickhead.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/chris-rattue-on-sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1502848&objectid=10833385
The NRL needs an additional term for its charge sheet: the deliberate high tackle. The first player to aim at is Steve Matai, the Kiwi hit man who is latter-day league's torch bearer for a tradition of thuggery which has starred Les Boyd, Adrian Morley and company.

The NRL's use of the words careless and reckless - which suggest a lack of due care in tackles - is often another trip to the spin doctor's surgery. The fans know. The players know. The coaches know. The medics know. The "waterboys" know. The commentators even know ... not that you'd know from their commentaries.

Those high hits are regularly acts of deliberate intimidation and violence. But nobody wants to say so, lest they break the macho code of conduct, or portray image-obsessed league in a more accurate light.

There is a super-thug in league's midst. Matai has a rap sheet as long as his swinging arms to prove it. He has faced a whopping 13 NRL charges all told, with 11 guilty verdicts. In addition, his shockers include knocking out Mark Gasnier in a 2007 test, which had him sent off.

The KOs just keep coming with Matai. The Manly Maniac knocked out Penrith's Danny Galea in May.

Bulldog and fellow Kiwi Sam Perrett can hardly remember Friday night's playoff match after becoming Matai's latest victim. Matai continues to attack his fellow professionals without suffering the sort of bans that the notorious Boyd did long ago, when league had to clean up its act. Pleading guilty, the dedicated repeat offender has received a paltry one-match suspension for the hit on Perrett.

There may be a loophole in the NRL's judicial system that is failing to scoop up Matai and plonk him on the sideline for a decent whack - like a year. But here's a theory: within reason, league secretly likes having a Matai or two around, because they satisfy that primeval attraction to the dark arts. That's also why the NRL still condones the no-arms shoulder charge, which licenses the sickening blindside hit.

I'm absolutely sick of watching Matai's cheap-shot nonsense while an impotent game looks on. There are honourable, fantastic players in the NRL like Nathan Hindmarsh and Micheal Luck who have made thousands of tackles without attacking the head.

And this is from a kiwi journo!

Our club should be asking for an explanation for this miscarriage of justice. How Pom gets two weeks and this thug Matai only one defies logic.

Quigs

Immortal
And this is from a kiwi journo!

Our club should be asking for an explanation for this miscarriage of justice. How Pom gets two weeks and this thug Matai only one defies logic.

Simple GB ... it's simple.

It's an NRL thang.

They's Manly.... Weez Nulla.

Theres them sides and theres us sides.

Been that way for nearly forty odd years now.

Watch for who goes on report from here on in and what they cop for a penalty.

It will be interesting that is for sure. I am only glad in a way that we are now out of it because as sure as shit if we had proceeded further one or two of our guns would of been silenced.

Frailty

First Grade
Simple GB ... it's simple.

It's an NRL thang.

They's Manly.... Weez Nulla.

Theres them sides and theres us sides.

Been that way for nearly forty odd years now.

Watch for who goes on report from here on in and what they cop for a penalty.

It will be interesting that is for sure. I am only glad in a way that we are now out of it because as sure as shit if we had proceeded further one or two of our guns would of been silenced.

This completely.

Sharks need to realise the NRL is against them and will do anything they can to make sure we fail. We need to simply give them a big 'f**k you' and make life difficult for them.