What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pompus

grayham

Juniors
RU falling back into the well worn but accurate stereotype.
Blaming a helicopter instead of admitting the opening cerimony was a boring farce that not even a ball flying through fireworks could save.

The games were terrible. The NRL really set the standard for the GF only a week earlier that made all these union games look amateurish....which they are... as 50% of the teams competing couldnt even match Sydney Uni reserves.

BTW, I am not a RL fan at all, but RL is so far ahead in the battle of the 'rugbies' at the moment it aint funny. I think the 'hype' of a world game has had a severe reality check for RU and the whole of Australia saw it. Good to see Bathurst and Cricket dominate the papers today. Rightly so.

dimitri

First Grade
i think willie mason's cousin summed it up best

when he said

he doesn't want to play league because it is too tough for him

so he chose to play yawnion

roopy

Referee
It's interesting to reflect on how the Union WC has changed since the code went pro.
I think the standard of play has lifted enormously, but the gap between the top and bottom nations has widened as well.
The Union WC is 100 years behind the soccer WC. Every team in the soccer WC can compete, but Union probably has between 4-6 teams that are of a standard to potentially win.
I think Australia, NZ and South Africa could lift the standards of all countries by following the example of league and letting their major club comp., the super twelve, sign up the best players from where ever they can get them. Countries like USA, Argentina etc etc etc will never compete till they have at least a core of full time pro players, and England is the only place a guy from those countries can go full time pro.

It is time to turn the super twelve into a breeding ground for players from around the world. It is time to give the minor countries a fighting chance.

roopy said:
The Union WC is 100 years behind the soccer WC. Every team in the soccer WC can compete, but Union probably has between 4-6 teams that are of a standard to potentially win.

Saudi Arabia, anyone?

That said, the depth in soccer is clearly higher than any other code, and I agree with you about opening up the major southern hemisphere competitions.

grayham

Juniors
The funniest thing is that you can qualify to play for a country if you have lived there for three years. That means I would be eligible to play for 3 countries if I was a half decent rugby player. Pity one of those 3 isnt Romania or Georgia as I'd be half a chance. :)

bayrep

Juniors
grayham said:
The funniest thing is that you can qualify to play for a country if you have lived there for three years. That means I would be eligible to play for 3 countries if I was a half decent rugby player. Pity one of those 3 isnt Romania or Georgia as I'd be half a chance. :)

And you call Union pompus, take a look in the mirror bud

Latest posts