What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Early in the season, I was watching Ponga, thinking that he would make a great 5/8. I think that 5/8 is his natural position. I expect him to be selected at 5/8 for Qld and Australia next year.

If I was Newy, I would already be looking to extend his contract. I would be offering a Jason Taumalolo/ Cherry Evens 10 year type contract. I remember when Newy signed him, some questioned if they had done the right thing, signing him for 5 years and some thought that they paid overs. lol

Apey

Staff member
Leading the dally M by 5 points after round 16, but he's injured for the next few weeks. Can't see him winning but should finish high.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Newcastle director of football Brian Canavan has only been in the job a few days but is already planning to sit down with young superstar Kalyn Ponga to help map out a career path outside of rugby league in a bid to ensure he never feels the need to leave the Knights in the future.

The hottest property in the game, Ponga is contracted to the Knights for a further three years but is certain to be the centre of intense interest from rival clubs down the track looking to poach him.

While financial rewards and putting a successful team around him will be important towards the back-end of his contract when it comes to keeping rivals at bay, Canavan is a big believer in helping players develop career interests away from their actual playing commitments at clubs.

“The Knights did a lot of great work to get Kalyn here and we are fortunate to have his services as a 19-year-old, now we would like him here for the duration,” Canavan said.

“It’s a matter of constantly staying in contact with Kalyn and his manager to make sure we know what he is feeling and thinking.

r1243_422_2744_2165_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Long-term project: Knights boss Brian Canavan says helping Kalyn Ponga develop career aspirations away from footy will be the key to ensuring he wants to stay.

“The big part that I’ve seen over my time in the game is nurturing careers beyond footy and if you can get players engaged in that, they stay.

Read more: Family drives Kalyn Ponga, cool, calm, confident and carefree

“I’ve been through it at the Roosters with the likes of Anthony MInichiello the most recent one. Craig Fitzgibbon is another, Brad Fittler, he does some ambassadorial work for the Roosters still even though he is at Channel Nine. They are all examples.

“You go back to Russell Fairfax. He heads up the Old Boys at the Roosters. They are ones that I am familiar with but I’m sure there are plenty of others throughout the game.”

Read more: New Knights boss says club’s potential is “endless”.

Canavan said research backs up the theory.

r0_170_3882_2353_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

“At the NRL, we conducted research on career development beyond football and there is a very high correlation between players that were engaged in study or work and long-term tenure at the one club,” he said.

“You need to develop career aspirations beyond footy.

“That’s what I’ll be looking at with Kalyn. I’ve met him several times but I don’t really know what makes him tick.

Read more: Knights in the box seat to snare Klemer

“Footy makes him tick right now but we want to get him engaged in whatever interests he has outside of rugby league and we want to give him the freedom and encouragement obviously to pursue them.

“If they get engaged in career development that is organised by or in and around the club, for them to leave the club, it sets their careers back off-field so they are better off staying.”

Canavan is convinced the Knights are not disadvantaged by their lack of third party agreements.

“What we have at the Knights is a big regional area with great support, a lovely city in Newcastle that’s on the way up, a lovely way of life – that is a third party enticement right there to join the club,” he said.
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...rint-to-make-ponga-a-knight-for-life/?cs=7580

Saw this in today's paper. It's behind a paywall. Can anyone post the article?

perverse

Referee
My initial reaction to the above article was one of confusion, to be honest. It's a bit weird from Kalyns perspective for him to read that. This line in particular wouldn't sit well with me if I were him:

“If they get engaged in career development that is organised by or in and around the club, for them to leave the club, it sets their careers back off-field so they are better off staying.”

It sounds like we're laying some sort of commitment trap for him or something. I feel like the intentions are probably more legitimate than that, and maybe I'm just interpreting it in an overly cynical way... but it just reads f**king weird to me as it is on the page.

Anyway, regardless of that - it's good we're making moves now to make him a lifer... because we're going to have a massive fight on our hands to keep him here. The core message I guess is if we look after him outside of football, he's more inclined to stay with us on the field. Hopefully that turns out correct, but I know there's a lot of people out there who are more than willing to proclaim to us that he's out of here first chance he gets.

Knight Vision

First Grade
must do whatever it takes to keep him a Knight. This type of talent wins you a GF on the whistle.. The kid is worth a fortune to the club in marketing and bums on seats. Worth every penny.

Still Nutty

Juniors
My initial reaction to the above article was one of confusion, to be honest. It's a bit weird from Kalyns perspective for him to read that. This line in particular wouldn't sit well with me if I were him:

It sounds like we're laying some sort of commitment trap for him or something. I feel like the intentions are probably more legitimate than that, and maybe I'm just interpreting it in an overly cynical way... but it just reads f**king weird to me as it is on the page.

Anyway, regardless of that - it's good we're making moves now to make him a lifer... because we're going to have a massive fight on our hands to keep him here. The core message I guess is if we look after him outside of football, he's more inclined to stay with us on the field. Hopefully that turns out correct, but I know there's a lot of people out there who are more than willing to proclaim to us that he's out of here first chance he gets.

I wonder how much of this relates to Kalyn enrolling at Newcastle Uni and seeing that aspect of his life linked to Newcastle options?

I don't think it isn't that Ponga couldn't play 5/8.
I reckon he is being shut down being too much part of the line and hanging on the left and getting beat up making tackles.
He's the sort of player that needs to be able to hang back and check out the game and selectively inject himself. Thurston learnt how to do it - especially when he was targeted by defence. Ponga is a long way off from Thurston.

I would have stuck with Ponga at 5/8 for longer but tonight changed my mind. My only reservation is that Pearce and Ponga have been supposed to have done incredible things together at training. That's at training and we know how things often don't transfer to the game

Alex28

Coach
Pearce isn’t directing play - which he needs to do while Ponga is figuring out the position.

The last 3 weeks we have had ZERO direction. I think Kalyn will make a fine 5/8 - but he isn’t going to direct the team around the field. He’ll be the free spirit we want him to be. Pearce needs to pull his f**king finger out.

Pedge1971

First Grade
These blokes dont suddenly become bad players overnight.

It was shit tonight but have to give it some time. Brown will live or die with what he does with this team. But we owe him a season to get it right.

My thoughts anyway.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Early in the season, I was watching Ponga, thinking that he would make a great 5/8. I think that 5/8 is his natural position. I expect him to be selected at 5/8 for Qld and Australia next year.
I agree, Ponga with Tedesco would work.

Not sure about QLD, might still be 1 there. Slater would have worked.

Basically needs a fullback as good as him, so he can play 5/8. Like Lockyer.

Apey

Staff member
He's trying too hard at times, because nobody else looks threatening. But he still looks to be the highlight of 2019. Please don't leave us or we will be dead.