What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Yeah, I guess I am just more jaded these days than I once was. Power to you if you still feel that way.

Oh I get jaded it just usually happens later in the season when whatever hope I had for my team is mercilessly crushed.

Right now I’ve still got sucker’s hope like I do at the beginning of every NRL season.

Jono078

Referee
That was cool! Very small sample size though so it's a bit tough singling Ponga out on that footage.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Only part that had ponga was Gagai telling him where to move…..probably reading into it too much but sounded frustrated that ponga was communicating enough where Gagai needed to be

Zoidberg

First Grade
I really like seeing stuff like that.
A bit rough to single out Ponga.
I actually saw the quick chat with Ponga as Gags asking if Ponga wanted him to go to fullback due to Ponga aggravating his injury (which I think may have happened when he was chasing that chip kick in goal by the Sharks).

ryan.a87

Juniors
Ooooo controversy…..apparently ponga was the one who requested the lunch with old man Wayne

If reports are true he is going to resign with us…..I would guess he wanted to have a meeting to say thanks but no thanks and they wanted to do a last minute pitch…and he said ok sure…only if you shout me lunch

Jono078

Referee
Ooooo controversy…..apparently ponga was the one who requested the lunch with old man Wayne

If reports are true he is going to resign with us…..I would guess he wanted to have a meeting to say thanks but no thanks and they wanted to do a last minute pitch…and he said ok sure…only if you shout me lunch
No idea why he'd request that and then Wayne himself along with the Dolphins CEO and Recruitment Boss just to say no thanks but thanks for the smoothie today.

That does not add up at all. All 3 were here to heavily entice him to sign, no other way to put it.

EDIT: Apologies, I just read your post properly and we basically agree lol.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach

So I was right!!!!

Silent Knight

First Grade
Ponga hat trick against the Dolphins in 2023. You heard it here first.
Clint-Eastwood-Mad-In-Gran-Torino-Gif.gif

Sir Galahad

Juniors
I'm telling ya - Ponga's interview with Cam Smith sounded like he was out the door. I'll be surprise if he stays.

Knight Tales

Bench
I'm telling ya - Ponga's interview with Cam Smith sounded like he was out the door. I'll be surprise if he stays.
His interviews all remind me of Frank Cushman from Jerry Maguire. In part it is art imitating life. The overprotective father who wants the best deal for his “superstar” in the making son.

It's interesting that the Dolphins already seemingly have a rival in the Knights before a ball is kicked. Not a surprise that ol' Creeping Jesus is behind that. I hope the games between the clubs have that bit of extra spice and intensity and a real rivalry is formed.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Loath to quote the Murdoch gutter at the best of times but he does have a point

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/31271ce07eaf44fb53de529a3a2dce0b

"Tommy Turbo won the Dally M Medal despite only playing 18 NRL matches - three games more than Ponga - had 307 runs for a total of 3,220 metres and powered the Sea Eagles to within 80 minutes of a grand final.

Roosters captain Tedesco played 22 NRL matches in 2021, had 331 runs for a total of 3,333m and won back-to-back premierships with the Chooks in 2018-19.

Tommy had 32 line breaks and a 131 tackle busts in 2021 while Teddy had 18 line breaks and 148 tackle busts.

Ponga had 181 runs for a total of 1,695m, 8 line breaks and 69 tackle busts.

The jury is still very much out on whether Ponga will go down in the same league as Turbo, Teddy or the Melbourne Storm’s Ryan Papenhuyzen.

To date, it’s been more cruise control than genuine game-breaker."