What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I mean I can understand what he's saying. Ponga sometimes touches the ball in not so great positions and then tries to force something good.

The key is getting him in better positions to receive the ball and then those around him providing good options.

If there's anything he needs to do less of, it's hovering around the ruck and over-running the man with the ball and putting himself out of play. Also less defending in the line and being better positioned to clean up kicks.
I also understand the sentiment.

But, he talks about the change in attacking structure, and then doesn’t lie blame where it belongs. I highly doubt O’Brien, Green, Peters and Johns have implemented a gameplan involving Ponga with a stalkers view of Randall’s arse.

Yosh

Coach
Our service from dummy half is horrendous. I don't think Randall is even good enough to be our reserve hooker. Brailey coming back will be a godsend.

If our service from dummy half was better, out attack would be a lot more crisp and would give Ponga that little edge to be more effective in my opinion.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Our service from dummy half is horrendous. I don't think Randall is even good enough to be our reserve hooker. Brailey coming back will be a godsend.

If our service from dummy half was better, out attack would be a lot more crisp and would give Ponga that little edge to be more effective in my opinion.
I can’t disagree with this, although horrendous is strong.

Another flaw I believe is being overlooked is Mann’s service from 1R. It’s been fine when shifting wide, but his linking with the forwards isn’t crisp at all. He is drifting sideways, just not as significant as last years crabbing, and throwing late, short balls to guys with no time to play eyes up, (as if we had any forwards that did!). Defences are eating our forward runs alive, Frizell excepted.

I don’t want to be too harsh, because it’s only been noticeable to me in the last 2 weeks in which the whole team has forgotten how to play, but it’s reminiscent of our 5 hitups gameplan from years past, just 5 metres wider.

I dont think Randalls service has been as bad as that really. Sure, hes not a top tier hooker and he isnt trowing them like Bedsy but the team had no issue pushing the advantage line with him there in Rds 1 and 2

Our issue has been our forwards getting monstered, especially our middles

Yosh

Coach
It's not just the pass to the forwards. The hooker decides which direction the attack goes. Randall does try hard but never creates doubt in the oppositions' minds. He doesn't even kick any more for some reason.

Watch any hooker from one of the top 8 teams and their delivery is not only superior to Randall's, there is a lot more variety from them.

perverse

Referee
I can’t disagree with this, although horrendous is strong.

Another flaw I believe is being overlooked is Mann’s service from 1R. It’s been fine when shifting wide, but his linking with the forwards isn’t crisp at all. He is drifting sideways, just not as significant as last years crabbing, and throwing late, short balls to guys with no time to play eyes up, (as if we had any forwards that did!). Defences are eating our forward runs alive, Frizell excepted.

I don’t want to be too harsh, because it’s only been noticeable to me in the last 2 weeks in which the whole team has forgotten how to play, but it’s reminiscent of our 5 hitups gameplan from years past, just 5 metres wider.
It's been at least clunky every round. It's slow and clunky - plain and simple, even when going wide. Watch the top teams move the ball, then watch us even at our best in the early rounds. It's night and day.

perverse

Referee
And just to add to the above - what's even worse is when he receives the ball and has no idea what to do with it. Inevitably it just becomes a completely wasted tackle in the set - or worse, a hospital pass. Kurt Mann, for all his effort in the world... seems to just have awful, horrible, terrible heads-up football instincts.

Everyone's been full of praise for him simply because he's not dropping the ball 3 or 4 times a game and letting in 3 tries... but it's the little things he does or doesn't do now that still infuriate me weekly.

Loose Cannon

Bench
And just to add to the above - what's even worse is when he receives the ball and has no idea what to do with it. Inevitably it just becomes a completely wasted tackle in the set - or worse, a hospital pass. Kurt Mann, for all his effort in the world... seems to just have awful, horrible, terrible heads-up football instincts.

Everyone's been full of praise for him simply because he's not dropping the ball 3 or 4 times a game and letting in 3 tries... but it's the little things he does or doesn't do now that still infuriate me weekly.
Agreed.

Imagine having to constantly try really hard just to achieve mediocrity once every few weeks.

Spot On

Coach
I dont think Randalls service has been as bad as that really. Sure, hes not a top tier hooker and he isnt trowing them like Bedsy but the team had no issue pushing the advantage line with him there in Rds 1 and 2

Our issue has been our forwards getting monstered, especially our middles

Totally agree. Randall has been fine and is doing the job well enough for a back up.

And yes, the softies in the middle are the problem.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
"It wasn't a hard decision for me. Im blessed to be at this club. I couldn't picture myslef anywhere else" - Nathan Cleary

Could anyone imagine Kayln Ponga say that about the Knights ?

PhilGould

Bench

Knights unsettled at the power Kalyn Ponga and his dad wield at club​

Rival NRL clubs didn’t suspect Newcastle “had the balls” to pull a three-year deal for star player Kalyn Ponga and predict the club could “put it back on the table.”

The Daily Telegraph revealed on Sunday that the Knights had decided to withdraw a $3.3m contract extension for their champion fullback – a story which sent rugby league into meltdown.

Despite some denials, The Daily Telegraph stands by the story.

Well-placed sources close to Ponga and the club reaffirmed on Monday that the new offer – for 2025, 2026 and 2027 - had been taken off the table.

There are elements within the club that want the offer to be resurrected but others in high places claim the club has to move on from Ponga.

A final decision will be reached when CEO Phil Gardner returns from holidaying in Hawaii next week.

Ponga and his father, Andre, wield considerable power at the club – a fact which has unsettled several senior figures.

Some NRL clubs were stunned at the Ponga situation with one prominent CEO saying: “I didn’t think Newcastle had the balls to pull the offer. Kalyn and his dad have some sway at the club. I wouldn’t be surprised if they put it back on the table.”

Last week, Ponga agreed to the new long-term deal at Newcastle – and his third party agreements - but he and Andre wanted to announce it on their terms, a decision which frustrated the club.

While his sublime skill is undoubted, some at Newcastle also believe Ponga’s $1.1m annual contract is excessive.

There is a theory among former Knights players that the club wanted to play some contractual argy-bargy by bringing the issue to a head. The situation is fluid.

One NRL head coach said: “I reckon the club wants to take back some control. It seems Kalyn and Andre have a lot of influence at the club.

“You’d think it would come to a head and get sorted. If that happens, I reckon the offer might be back on the table but who knows? Do Newcastle have the gumption to offload Kalyn?”

Ponga can still trigger a clause in his favour which would keep him at Newcastle until the end of his existing deal in 2024.

The Dolphins want Ponga to become the face of Moreton Bay. Rugby league’s newest club also has considerable interest in Melbourne’s Cameron Munster, who comes off contract after next season.

Those close to the Dolphins have no doubt coach Wayne Bennett would “bring out the best” in Ponga.

Ponga was asked about the contract speculation moments after his side’s loss to St George Illawarra on Sunday.

“I don’t worry about it, all I am thinking about right now is the loss. I know what I am feeling, but that’s between me and my management,” Ponga said.

“I know you guys (media) want to know and I hope you (can) respect I (want to) announce this on my terms.”

A Queensland State of Origin champion, Ponga, 24, has until round ten to trigger an option for the remaining two years of his current Knights contract.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It’s pretty hard to think that this hasn’t become a distraction for KP and the rest of the squad at this point. It seems to be the only thing anyone in the media cares about and the DT seems to have enough confidence to double down on the story. Although I suppose they don’t have much to lose by doing that anyway because the Knights would be likely to deny it even if it was true.

aqua_duck

Coach
watching NRL 360 and the 2 News Limited hacks in Rothfield and Kent have gone from Ponga's offer being pulled and now after they got called out on their bullsh** story they've not pivoted to personal attacks on Gardner and how he had the audacity to go on annual leave and how hard he is to do business with. Maybe its just me but I think I'd trust the business acumen of a guy who run a 100 mil a year business for the last 25 years over a walking hemorrhoid parading as a journalist with literally zero business qualifications.

Latest posts