What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Old dog

Juniors
If thinking is to replicate Lockyer then remember he was a very good fullback for a number of years then switched to 5/8, at this time leave him at 1 and ask again in a few years time

Spot On

Coach
Nothing to add, it's there for all to see re his abilty, temperament, form, vision, skill etc.

I still have the diatribe in my memory from current and ex QLD players such as that dill Justin Hodges publicly screaming that Ponga had thrown his career away leaving QLD for this shit club.

Clearly he IS our best player at 20 yrs old and with less than 20 first grade games. So quite amazing when you consider that fact. He has won us most of the games we've collected the 2 points in so far and could have got us home again Friday night with a bit of help from others.

He really is our only point of attack atm now we do not have first grade standard halves to help. I'm of the opinion Watson has begun to show something so hopefully he will begin to lend a greater hand to our attack very soon.

I just hope Ponga realises his absolute potential here and that Brown can recruit some decent forwards to continually provide him with space. Atm they aren't good enough to get us to a strong position at the end of the season proper.

I don't want to look back in three or four years time and agree with the QLD media types about him throwing his career away at Newcastle.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
I don't want to look back in three or four years time and agree with the QLD media types about him throwing his career away at Newcastle.

He’s already made the right decision to come here. He wouldn’t have gotten noticed or the opportunities at the Cowboys. Brown has also been smart enough to recognise the incredible ball player in him where most in the game just saw him as another runner with a fancy step.

We obviously need to recruit some props to help him out but it was obvious we needed those with or without Ponga.

Spot On

Coach
Oh I'm glad Brown had the foresight others did not. Hats off to him no doubt. But Ponga would most probably be shining wherever he went at fullback if the coach had half a brain.

I think Green would have utilised him the same way we are had they stuck with him instead of Coote. No JT next year so no doubt he would've been used in a similar way. Those skills would have been apparent at the Cowboys no doubt. It was only their cap situation that enabled us to poach him imo. That's what happens when you have a team of origin stars plus Taumololo. They've farked up big time, probably assumed he'd stay but as it stands atm they've lost the best young player in the game by a mile.

Yes we have needed decent forwards for years but we need them now and no later than the start of next season. We are kidding ourselves if it takes another 3 or 4 yrs to get them. Ponga could very well be sick of playing behind a beaten pack by then and Hodge's prediction will unfortunately be reality.

We have the money to buy what we need. Brown will have to make a few very big decisions re who we keep coming off contract and who we buy to play up front.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
I don’t necessarily agree that the Cowboys would have utilised him in the same way.

Brown took a huge risk giving an 18 year old so much money but also took a huge risk devoting an off season on making him the main point of attack and focusing on one particular side to attack (obviously that’s changed about in recent times with Ponga popping up on the right side abit more).

Obviously he has plenty of natural ball playing ability but it was relatively unknown before this season. Our coaches have done a hell of a job helping to manufacture this aspect of his game and allowing it to flourish.

Spot On

Coach
I have absolutely no doubt they would have used him as a ball playing fullback as is the case with most modern fullbacks who can pass, especially a talent like Ponga.

I would be extremely surprised if the coaching staff at NQLD did not know what his skill set was or what he could do re ball playing.

Surely.

I would have expected Brown to develop his game into what it is becoming as he specifically bought him for that purpose. A modern day fullback with ball playing ability to help our horrible attack.

Plus it's his job and he's devoted a good chunk of cap to him.

Now if he could fix our defensive issues........

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think Ponga could be the best ball player in the comp right now. He has a superb short passing game and a magnificent long passing game.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Who would you rate better?
none- if the current trajectory is anything to go by the kid will be one of the best the game has seen.

Without doubt the best at such a young age I've seen.Not only will he slot into Slaters Maroon jersey he'll slot straight into his green and gold one as well.

Trobojevic and Tedesco will rue the fact they were playing in the era of Ponga

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
What excites me is there is no mystery about the kid and every team we play has to revolve their defensive plans around Kalyn. And yet they cannot figure out how to stop him.

Even better, his positional play and defence is first class. The player of his generation injury permitting.

Yosh

Coach
The problem with Ponga is that we aren't getting him the ball at least once or twice a set. Since Pearce went down, I think he has gotten less than half the ball he used to on our attacks. He needs the ball at least two times a set because Lamb and Watson aren't doing too much with it.

Latest posts