What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Ben Hunt

denis preston

First Grade
If Hunt & Hook are so good, then why do we always seem to be favourites for the Wooden Spoon with them as Captain & Coach.
I believe it’s time to head in a completely different direction as we are just going around in circles.
Now Hook would turn that around to "expected to win the wooden spoon but made a creditable 11th "

dungay dragon

Juniors
Am really starting to Cool on the whole Hunt re signing saga
Some pertinent points to consider guys
A sensible offer has been made ..
1 ....Wondering if any stipulations were included , such as no Rep Footy or Origin , totally dedicated to the Dragons at his age reducing chance of injury and wear n tear ....
2 ... What will improve if we sign BH and have little coin to sign anyone else ?
3 ... Will we be content to finish at best Mid Table again next year ?
The money saved from BH , even next year , can go towards 1 or 2 top line props to compliment our pack
A new Coach with fore sight and prepared to give our players free reign is imperative .
Surely we would need a decent 9 , the third stringer from the Tigers isnt the answer
Obviously Sully would get first crack at 7 to partner Amone but with no guarantees .
Was interested to hear A Johns comment recently he believes Lomax could be a superstar at 6 .Food for thought , with Amone to 7 .. 🤔 🤔
We have the base group of a side that can threaten but we are presently being guided rudderless
Ben has been here 5 years with the last 18 months his very best
If others are prepared to pay OVERS to someone who will continue to play footy mostly all year round and in his mid 30s good luck
Time to move on , even from Next Year
Hopefully a new Coach will bring Attitude, Desire ,Resilience , and Pride to the Red V Jumper instead of being a retirement home for John West nomads from other Clubs and long term mates of the Coach

TruSaint

Referee
Ben is a very good player standing out in a bog average side.

If people saying we should pay him more , then should we lose Bud they have no reason to moan next year.

As far as I am concerned, Ben has made a healthy income playing for Saints, and he should realise that his time at 7 is over and for the benefit of the club agree to play hooker.

He's a standout playing at 9 for QLD. Time to put Club first.

If not, he should look after his family and join the Dolphins under Wayne.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Thanks Braith & Kenty for continuously stating the offer for Hunt is too low. Just keep it bubbling in the press whilst other teams are allowed to negotiate with their players without scrutiny.
Are we not in a position to get Hunt a 3rd party add on for 100-150K. If we cant get a 3rd party for our best player - suggest we cant get any 3rd party payment for any other player. Feels like we are 2-3M behind the wages of all other teams.
Why don't Braith & Kenty disclose how many 3rd party deals the Bulldogs and their 'benefactor' have organised.
Yeah Shiloh
They did state that , but have you noticed that any shit stirring of dramas at Our Club usually comes from the Lieutenant at Fairfax/CH9Media who sends in his storm troopers to fan the flames ?
The axe to grind with Him n Hook is becoming quite tiresome
I guess the only good thing is , If Hook goes , the constant barrage of Dragon propaganda will desist , and follow him to his next venture :rolleyes::rolleyes:

shiloh dc

Juniors
Yeah Shiloh
They did state that , but have you noticed that any shit stirring of dramas at Our Club usually comes from the Lieutenant at Fairfax/CH9Media who sends in his storm troopers to fan the flames ?
The axe to grind with Him n Hook is becoming quite tiresome
I guess the only good thing is , If Hook goes , the constant barrage of Dragon propaganda will desist , and follow him to his next venture :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I feel its in everyone else's benefit to fuel issues at the Dragons - for Nine/SMH its ratings. For other teams its unsettling our salary cap and forcing us to pay overs.
Think about this - Cam Munster has a new offer from Melb that's 'close to the mark'. WHY ISN"T THE AMOUNT DISCLOSED BY THE JOURNO'S LIKE HUNT'S WAS.
Last week they were saying the Dolphins were prepared to pay Munster 1.3M extending to 1.8M with 3rd parties. Are you telling me the Storm are close to that? The only way would be if its say 900K with 600-800K 3rd parties.
Cheers to the journo's for listing the top 100 paid players - but why doesn't the NRL list the total 3rd party payments each year by team.

Gareth67

First Grade
I feel its in everyone else's benefit to fuel issues at the Dragons - for Nine/SMH its ratings. For other teams its unsettling our salary cap and forcing us to pay overs.
Think about this - Cam Munster has a new offer from Melb that's 'close to the mark'. WHY ISN"T THE AMOUNT DISCLOSED BY THE JOURNO'S LIKE HUNT'S WAS.
Last week they were saying the Dolphins were prepared to pay Munster 1.3M extending to 1.8M with 3rd parties. Are you telling me the Storm are close to that? The only way would be if its say 900K with 600-800K 3rd parties.
Cheers to the journo's for listing the top 100 paid players - but why doesn't the NRL list the total 3rd party payments each year by team.
Good post Shiloh dc . I also would very much like to see just that - the 3rd party payments to each club and in particular to which players receive the most benefit from such .

But alas , that would place a number of clubs outside the shade of their sombreros , into the blazing glare of publicity .

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
Hunt is our best current player, serious overs paid last 4 years and 1 good year from 5 not a good outcome

This is really Hunts best year and where are we sitting, again well off the final race and not even close TBH

So Hunt is NOT the answer , as is Hook

maybe Hunt has enough insight to see if he wants to win a comp he will need to play hooker ? Or not

We have him for next year anyway , he can interchange at half or hooker or whatever , But Sullivan needs more NRL footy to see how he goes next year, he may be a dud as well.

A major risk for anyone to sign a 33 yr old half after Nov 1 for 2024 onwards, good luck go for it and take the risk

Hook wont change anything much next year and ??Liddle will be a joke if he comes

dungay dragon

Juniors

As previously mentioned we have only come under the media blow torch since Hook took over ....Its Personal ....
We were in a worse predicament when Mary was in charge but he was a darling of the Media

shiloh dc

Juniors
We need an inspirational Captain & one that will be on the field all game. It has to be Ben as Zac's not ready.
Plus who of quality is out there to sign - few if any. And of those few - who wants to come to the Dragons to share crappy stadiums/no COE when some Sydney sides provide great facilities with minimal commute,

Trifili13

Juniors
Good post Shiloh dc . I also would very much like to see just that - the 3rd party payments to each club and in particular to which players receive the most benefit from such .

But alas , that would place a number of clubs outside the shade of their sombreros , into the blazing glare of publicity .
I am sure the NRL published 3rd pary payments by each club a couple years ago. While this provides some transparency, i am sure not all dodgy deals are logged with the NRL.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
It has been asked many times before to show what the clubs pay for their players and it’s been refused every time, because it’s private knowledge only the clubs, players and of course the NRL and all the player managers. It’s a privacy issue which an easy fall back on. And all the sponsors. If you look at the NBA and NFL it’s open for everyone to see the players payment, it’s no secret. Not like here to many illegal activities are perpetrated. Melbourne is the classic example.

Gareth67

First Grade
I am sure the NRL published 3rd pary payments by each club a couple years ago. While this provides some transparency, i am sure not all dodgy deals are logged with the NRL.
Yes you are correct , a few years ago they did release the figures and as you say there would be some deals that will never see the light of day - it’s still a bit of a Pandora’s box for mine .

I find it amazing that the pundits can accuse Saints of low-balling a 33 year old player with an offer of $700K, as good as he can be on his day.
Considering he was paid overs in the first place and we've made the semi's just once during his tenure - and that was in tandem with Gareth Widdop and a stronger forward pack than we have now.
I find all this "I'll only stay if he can stay" crap totally disingenuous and selfish and if we were to lose a player like Jayden Sullivan in order to keep a player and coach both at the back end of their careers I'd seriously consider renewing my membership.
Besides, Hunt's most successful seasons at the Broncos were under Bennett, not Griffin - under whom he has achieved precisely diddly squat at club level despite playing some quality football on occasion.