What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Ben Hunt

redv13

Bench
Saying he was their worst & not passing to Cherry-Evans because he wants the 7 jersey
Bunch of clowns they are. Last 15 mins comes back on, awesome long kick from dummy half which pinned the blues on their line plus the brilliant line break from Dummy half where ran 40 odd meters and again pinned the blues on their line. Bloody terrible player that B Hunt

TruSaint

Referee
As usual copping some flack on SM for his effort.😩🤷🏼‍♂️

It's farcical isnt it.

He didn't play long minutes, but he went a long way to ensuring QLD held on with 2 massive plays. One , late in the 2nd half with the pinpoint kick deep, turning NSW around and picking up 60 odd metres.

And then the great line break ( which I'm guessing the critique is about ).

Watching it in real time he looked both inside and out. I thought at the time DCE would have been tackled and in my view he did the right thing.

Edit: typing in sync with my mate @redv13

Mojo

Bench
He does cop a lot of flak, especially in the early days with us. There's no doubt he's a fantastic footballer, and we'd be in a lot trouble without. Like all players, he does have a weakness; he's not a game manager. This fault is where a lot of the criticism stems, but a good coach will adjust things to maximise strengths and minimise weaknesses. Bennett was superb at doing this, notably with Soward. It's been noted before, but perhaps we need a game manager in the team, and Benny can become our version of Cameron Smith.
exactly

possm

Coach
So is your theory if you don't play well in 2 -3 games you get dumped to reserve grade and we buy another player in that position, what happens if Flaningan plays shit for 2-3 games who do we buy Brodie Croft next??
The Dragons would be much more successful each season if they had 17 first-grade ready players in their top 30. Their cause would be even more strengthened if 6 of those 17 are SOO players. The remaining places in the top 30 should be our promising young guns.

possm

Coach
Bunch of clowns they are. Last 15 mins comes back on, awesome long kick from dummy half which pinned the blues on their line plus the brilliant line break from Dummy half where ran 40 odd meters and again pinned the blues on their line. Bloody terrible player that B Hunt
hunt is a great hooker but poor game manager at halfback.

blacksafake

First Grade
It's farcical isnt it.

He didn't play long minutes, but he went a long way to ensuring QLD held on with 2 massive plays. One , late in the 2nd half with the pinpoint kick deep, turning NSW around and picking up 60 odd metres.

Watching it in real time he looked both inside and out. I thought at the time DCE would have been tackled and in my view he did the right thing.

Yes the main one was the break but there were other comments in general.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Hunt will see out his career with us as our #7, he will not play hooker at club level. We are, as I have said before, very actively seeking a hooker of some quality.
If so then its either bloody minded stupidity by the club or lack of true grit in Ben Hunt with a dash of prima donna. The guy is easily our best 9, we have real potential options at 7 who could well be better 7s than Hunt anyway. We have hardly been successful with him at 7 for multiple years, pretty dumb keeping doing whats never worked for you. Put him at 9:

Illusion

Bench
If so then its either bloody minded stupidity by the club or lack of true grit in Ben Hunt with a dash of prima donna. The guy is easily our best 9, we have real potential options at 7 who could well be better 7s than Hunt anyway. We have hardly been successful with him at 7 for multiple years, pretty dumb keeping doing whats never worked for you. Put him at 9:
Well said , and it hasn't worked for years , and even though Ben is having a good year , doesn't mean that he is making the team stronger by playing at 7 ....... We ain't winning the comp ...... So what are they waiting for , make the switch , Hunt to 9 solves that position , Sully to 7 and stick with him for the rest of the season ...... So the only way Sully gets to play is if Hunt gets injured ? ..... And even then Hook would probably go for Mybe or McGuire at 7 .......

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
The Dragons would be much more successful each season if they had 17 first-grade ready players in their top 30. Their cause would be even more strengthened if 6 of those 17 are SOO players. The remaining places in the top 30 should be our promising young guns.
We would finish last, if you expect to go through a season with 17 first graders with no injuries, suspensions or rep games, your dreaming and then to have 13 "young guns" as the fill in's, Millward Mess more like Possm Mess...

Illusion

Bench
It's farcical isnt it.

Hunts effort could not be faulted , Goes to show they have no idea .....

Old Timer

Coach
It's farcical isnt it.

If I'm not mistaken DCE didn't position himself correctly and basically over ran the play.

Hunt appeared to slow to position his supports and DCE kept running at full pace and was always going to over shoot him.

Then only other option was to dribble it off his foot and perhaps DCE gets there 1st but why take a risky option of a 7 tackle set so Hunt did the right thing IMO.

True_Believer

Juniors
If I'm not mistaken DCE didn't position himself correctly and basically over ran the play.

Hunt appeared to slow to position his supports and DCE kept running at full pace and was always going to over shoot him.

Then only other option was to dribble it off his foot and perhaps DCE gets there 1st but why take a risky option of a 7 tackle set so Hunt did the right thing IMO.
I'm not a QLD supporter but I can't help but admire Ben for the way he continues to put in and shine irrespective of the crap he's taken at both club and origin level.

I live in QLD and when we signed him some of the Bronco's supporters that I know were laughing saying we bought a dud. I'm happy we signed him and I believe he has been one of our better signings over the years. Unfortunately for us, the club essentially forced Widdop out. I think we would have been reaping the benefits had we been able to keep him. Ben and Gareth together had real potential.

BLM01

First Grade

Sorry OT. Cant agree with you there. ..watch it again. If Ben released the ball before he looked again to the left before passing it, DCE was in position and clearly would of scored. It did not matter in the end but would of put the game out of reach

thebigredv

First Grade
Big Hunt fan, reckon we'd go much better with a couple more of him in the team but I don't think he is a strong leader.

Granted he does his leading by example and would have to be the most consistently committed player we have but obviously his team mates aren't influenced greatly by him on the field. The captain's challenge rule has shown Ben up to be very poor at making good decisions in pressure situations. There were a few more tonight that needed to be challenged that weren't and we see this each week.

Maybe we have bigger problems than this ... yet by the same token, and the reason I comment is how could a team make that many poor choices and fundamental errors without a strong coach and captain to bring them into line? It just went on and on and on. At some point they needed to regroup but there's never any composure with this lot. That's a duty that falls on the captain's shoulders. It's purely unprofessional and so far from what you'd expect to see in first grade. All this the game after a week's rest!! And it wasn't the first time this year.

Not intended to be a criticism of Hunt. I am sure it is a poisoned chalice to be leader of this dysfunctional and unwieldy lot, and he takes it on all the same but he has very little presence with the refs as a captain. Don't ask me who should be captain because I honestly don't know. I can see why he was picked.

If I could have a 100% clean out of this joint tomorrow I would take it. Start again.

The Villain

Juniors
Big Hunt fan, reckon we'd go much better with a couple more of him in the team but I don't think he is a strong leader.

Granted he does his leading by example and would have to be the most consistently committed player we have but obviously his team mates aren't influenced greatly by him on the field. The captain's challenge rule has shown Ben up to be very poor at making good decisions in pressure situations. There were a few more tonight that needed to be challenged that weren't and we see this each week.

Maybe we have bigger problems than this ... yet by the same token, and the reason I comment is how could a team make that many poor choices and fundamental errors without a strong coach and captain to bring them into line? It just went on and on and on. At some point they needed to regroup but there's never any composure with this lot. That's a duty that falls on the captain's shoulders. It's purely unprofessional and so far from what you'd expect to see in first grade. All this the game after a week's rest!! And it wasn't the first time this year.

Not intended to be a criticism of Hunt. I am sure it is a poisoned chalice to be leader of this dysfunctional and unwieldy lot, and he takes it on all the same but he has very little presence with the refs as a captain. Don't ask me who should be captain because I honestly don't know. I can see why he was picked.

If I could have a 100% clean out of this joint tomorrow I would take it. Start again.
We haven’t had a strong captain for 10 years. Hornby was fantastic. Inspirational and firey.

Creagh was too nice.

Widdop and Hunt good players but not good leaders.

I’d love for our captain to get in the ref’s face, shout at his players, and say something in the pressers.

possm

Coach
We would finish last, if you expect to go through a season with 17 first graders with no injuries, suspensions or rep games, your dreaming and then to have 13 "young guns" as the fill in's, Millward Mess more like Possm Mess...
Some of our current 17 is of a reserve grade standard. We need at least 4 first-grade props in our side and all we have is F Molo. The rest are reserve graders.

17 true first-graders plus firing NRL players and the rest being promising juniors coming through, for example, Ramsey, Sloan, Armone, and Sullivan are players that I consider to be promising juniors coming through.

Latest posts