What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Ben Hunt

BLM01

First Grade
Some of our current 17 is of a reserve grade standard. We need at least 4 first-grade props in our side and all we have is F Molo. The rest are reserve graders.

17 true first-graders plus firing NRL players and the rest being promising juniors coming through, for example, Ramsey, Sloan, Armone, and Sullivan are players that I consider to be promising juniors coming through.
There is not enough 1st graders to go round to fill 16 teams, let alone 17 until money invested in reserve grade which it wont. Also with overseas a $$$ option for players out of form or are of reserve grade standard nothing will change.
It will get worse until about 5 teams are culled to bring back to a 12 team comp which I will hate.

thebigredv

First Grade
Did anyone else catch the pre-game chat about Ben Hunt on Fox? It was interesting.

Ennis and Anasta and co were saying how Hunt has a big decision coming up and that a pay cut is on the cards if he is to stay at the Dragons (according to him) or goes elsewhere.

They all spoke as if they were well informed that he and family are comfortable and want to stay and that he wouldn't base his decision on money but needs to factor in being part of a premiership before his career is out. The remark was made that if he takes a big cut e.g. to 750/800, it frees up space to sign those key positional signings we've been crying out for.

Hunt is having a brilliant year. Even his knockers have been put in their place but the Dragons need to negotiate this correctly in order to not go overs on him. It will be interesting if the captain 1) is willing to take a huge cut despite playing some if his best footy and 2) actually thinks Hook and the young blokes do have a potential premiership in them.

As good as he is, I'm not prepared to say we win today's game if Hunt plays. Many of his strengths were what we were lacking today but I still think we have too many players in the team that don't have what it takes and will continually let us down. I mean how dumb was the shoulder charge from Sims for example... That said, he can't command 1mil plus anymore because he hasn't been associated with enough finals footy during his time. That's where the money is.

He may well end up piking on us just like Frizell did. And after days like today I couldn't blame him.

Dragon David

First Grade
Did anyone else catch the pre-game chat about Ben Hunt on Fox? It was interesting.

Ennis and Anasta and co were saying how Hunt has a big decision coming up and that a pay cut is on the cards if he is to stay at the Dragons (according to him) or goes elsewhere.

They all spoke as if they were well informed that he and family are comfortable and want to stay and that he wouldn't base his decision on money but needs to factor in being part of a premiership before his career is out. The remark was made that if he takes a big cut e.g. to 750/800, it frees up space to sign those key positional signings we've been crying out for.

Hunt is having a brilliant year. Even his knockers have been put in their place but the Dragons need to negotiate this correctly in order to not go overs on him. It will be interesting if the captain 1) is willing to take a huge cut despite playing some if his best footy and 2) actually thinks Hook and the young blokes do have a potential premiership in them.

As good as he is, I'm not prepared to say we win today's game if Hunt plays. Many of his strengths were what we were lacking today but I still think we have too many players in the team that don't have what it takes and will continually let us down. I mean how dumb was the shoulder charge from Sims for example... That said, he can't command 1mil plus anymore because he hasn't been associated with enough finals footy during his time. That's where the money is.

He may well end up piking on us just like Frizell did. And after days like today I couldn't blame him.
Yes, Hunt and the club have a dilemma as to Hunt's future based on the reasons you have stated bigredv.

This from you - "but I still think we have too many players in the team that don't have what it takes and will continually let us down" - has been our problem for ages. Our current side can play good footy, there is no doubt about that, but they need to be more consistent to win regularly, not a win here and there.

The young guns have plenty of time on their side, but the big thing is, are they actually being properly developed, trained, coached and mentored to be more dynamic and effective in the years to come. I don't know who is our development officer and whether or not that person has the credentials to do the job properly. There is a rumour that Nathan Brown is heading to the Eels for a while to assist in their pathways system. We need a guy of his character and ability to work with our young guys and have them mentored and guided and provide confidence building qualities for them. https://www.zerotackle.com/nathan-brown-reportedly-set-to-land-new-nrl-role-120013/

In the meantime, Hunt is definitely a player we need to keep until the future generation of players in the next few years find their feet.

Parko1310

Juniors
According to the fox report as well, Hunt is prepared to take that pay cut because he understands to win a premiership that is what is needed. There isn’t much off contract this year worth taking a look at, but there’s plenty I’d be looking at to arrive in 2024. Most notable potential targets (in my opinion) would be:

Joseph Tapine, Tom Flegler, Spencer Leniu, Reece Robson, Kobe Hetherington

And to a lesser extent:

Shawn Blore, Josh Aloiai, Ben Trbojevic (this is just optimism), tui kamakamica, David Klemmer, Griffin Neame, Egan Butcher (more optimism).

My ideal 2024 arrivals would be Tapine, Robson and Leniu/kamakamica (but not both because I understand there is a salary cap). Anyone more is a luxury. If this isn’t possible then we work our way down the list. I cannot believe for the life of me that we let Robson walk, I remember being disheartened at the time. He is exactly the hooker we need. Defensively sures up the middle, but still quick out of acting half and gives good service. We need to do everything we can to bring him back in my current view.

Anyways, here’s to hoping.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Well Done Benny
Outstanding performance in such a high pressure game
Begrudgingly from a NSW supporter , but Dragons tragic
Has matured over the past few years to now an Elite Player in our game
And to think some on here wanted him moved to 9 to make room for a junior who has played little or no League in the past cpl seasons.....
If he decides to stay on with the Dragons can really see him in a coaching or development role with the Club in the years ahead

justadragon

Bench
Yes I have been watching him closely at 9. He does not set the game alight there with dummy half runs etc. He has proved he is better attacking the edges
Tend to agree with you but if he wasnt in the middle at the end of the game when Grant went off, he wouldnt have taken the intercept from clearys kick. Plus I think he can really put a team under the pump by kicking from dummy half. Still we are in a quandary on what to do for the future.

justadragon

Bench
Well Done Benny
Outstanding performance in such a high pressure game
Begrudgingly from a NSW supporter , but Dragons tragic
Has matured over the past few years to now an Elite Player in our game
And to think some on here wanted him moved to 9 to make room for a junior who has played little or no League in the past cpl seasons.....
If he decides to stay on with the Dragons can really see him in a coaching or development role with the Club in the years ahead
agree with what you are saying, maybe the Dragons can play him and sullivan the same way as QLD, swapping between 7 and 9 throughout different parts of the game.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
It was a Dragons like second half from the NSW, dead in the water and full of errors... and trust Hunt to step up and crush the hearts of us Blues fans...

I know how to back a loser in sport..

Enjoyable game of footy all the same.
Watching the NSW second half was like watching "Dragons Footy". Then I remembered that McDud was now on Freddy's coaching staff. Another poor selection Freddy!