What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Ben Hunt

denis preston

First Grade
I think all this Ben Hunt bashing is over the top based on media reporting speculation and their interpretation of conversations.
Just becuase he supposedly said Sullivan needs to buy his time, learn the trade etc, what is wrong with that. Sounds like to me he is supporting him to stay and work into the role.
I think Sullo could be our Sam Walker even our Cleary but his body has to last.
Walker and Cleary's body handled the transition, Sullo's has not thus far in lower grades

Why do we have to focus on a potential sounding negative comment and inflate it to busting as if we all know what his new salary would be, what he has said to the club and now people are saying he is holding the club to ransom..BS.
The board and / or coach sign a contract off as well as the player. Its on them if they pay the ransom fee

Sullivan has had many an injury thus far and played little reserve grade.
Bulldogs want him, big deal. They have no faith in their current 7 and are desperately looking anywhere where we currently have a good 7 and probably an even better one in time to play with his mates.
So , in essence we resign Hunt but dont lose Bud unless the club breaks his contract with us and lets him go. it's up to the club and not Bulldogs or Bud if he goes or not ?

zombiebloodlust

Juniors

Why Hunt’s extension has a silver lining for the young gun stuck behind him​

Ben Hunt and Talatau Amone have both urged Dragons tyro Jayden Sullivan to stay at the Red V despite a mooted two-year extension for Hunt potentially blocking his path.

Hunt’s career-best form has him considered favourite for this year’s Dally M Medal, despite the Dragons’ finals hopes being all but over.

St George Illawarra are set to ramp up negotiations on a new deal with Hunt, who is signed for next year, that would tie him up beyond his 35th birthday and until the end of 2025.

As reported by the Herald last week, Sullivan’s management will request a release if Hunt is locked in to the No.7 jumper for three more years, given the 20-year-old’s potential and growing interest from rival clubs, despite Sullivan being signed until 2025 as well.

Sullivan and Amone are represented by the same agent, with that stance being conveyed to Dragons officials during negotiations for Amone’s 2024 extension, which was confirmed on Thursday.
Barring injury, Hunt is tracking to play his 300th NRL game early next year.
When quizzed on Sullivan, Amone and the Dragons’ three-into-two scrumbase call, Hunt pointed to his first 80-odd games serving as a bench utility and back-up half in Brisbane as the making of his career.
“I’m not saying Jayden’s like me, but you look at my career, I didn’t get to play halfback until I was 24 and playing regular first grade there,” Hunt said.
Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ Anzac Day victory over the Roosters. The halfback has been in career-best form in 2022.

Ben Hunt after the Dragons’ Anzac Day victory over the Roosters. The halfback has been in career-best form in 2022.Credit:NRL Photos
Advertisement

“Personally, I’d like Jayden to stay at the club. I think he definitely offers a lot. If he can toil away and play a bit of hooker or play some different positions, you never know what can open up for you. You’ve just got to be a sponge and learn as much as you can.
“That early part of my career set me up and has given me opportunities to play State of Origin at hooker. We had some good halves [at Brisbane] in Peter Wallace and Darren Lockyer so, in the long run, I was pretty blessed to have them there to learn off, I think.
“They were the same, they really encouraged me to talk. But it wasn’t until I was probably 23 or 24 and had played a fair few games of footy that I moved into the halves and got pretty vocal.”
Hunt has little interest in shifting to hooker down the line – “I’m trying to extend my career, not shorten it up, so I don’t want to be getting in the middle too much” – and said great mate Andrew McCullough has not mentioned retirement at the end of 2022 as has been quietly suggested by some at the club.
Talatau Amone has enjoyed a breakout 2022 season.

Talatau Amone has enjoyed a breakout 2022 season.Credit:Getty Images

Amone, meanwhile, has grown into the No.6 role alongside Hunt this season, having long been touted for big things alongside juniors teammates Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan.
His re-signing came following interest and personal calls from Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett that “gave me shivers”, before Amone’s strong family ties in the Illawarra helped keep him in red and white.
The 20-year-old hopes Sullivan does the same ahead of a must-win clash with Canberra on Sunday.

“We talk about [playing together at the Dragons] all the time,” Amone said. “Not just since we started playing together at NRL level but before this, we’d be talking about coming through together and taking that chance to do something special for the club.​

“Whatever he does, that’s up to Jayden and his family. I don’t look into that, but I know when we’re training he’s enjoying his time here and we’re learning a lot.
“If he stays I’d be so happy for him because there is a chance to do something special. But if he chooses to go then that’s up to him and wherever he is he’ll go great.”

Speaking of Peter Wallace... can someone tell Ben Hunt that Wallace spent the last 3 years of his career playing hooker, to allow a young, talented junior take over the halfback spot?

Maybe Anthony Griffin should tell him, since, you know, HE WAS THE COACH AT THE TIME

BLM01

First Grade
So , in essence we resign Hunt but dont lose Bud unless the club breaks his contract with us and lets him go. it's up to the club and not Bulldogs or Bud if he goes or not ?
No Bud and his manager have the final say. Our club has to give him enough reasons to stay...but operative words are "if they want him"
But I want to keep him and let him slot in there when his body is up to it hopefully some stage in the 2023/2024 year or so WIWO..then Hunty can shuffle to 9 in his twilight years

denis preston

First Grade
No Bud and his manager have the final say. Our club has to give him enough reasons to stay...but operative words are "if they want him"
But I want to keep him and let him slot in there when his body is up to it hopefully some stage in the 2023/2024 year or so WIWO..then Hunty can shuffle to 9 in his twilight years
BUT couldn't the club hold Bud to his contract ? Look anyone can see that this guy could be a real good NRL player so my guess is they won't release him but not making the 17 this week is really pissing me off and perhaps could be a bad sign from the club. If Hook has done this on his own than doesn't that suggest that hook and the clubs Pathways program are not compatible ?

Draginzaaar

Bench
BUT couldn't the club hold Bud to his contract ? Look anyone can see that this guy could be a real good NRL player so my guess is they won't release him but not making the 17 this week is really pissing me off and perhaps could be a bad sign from the club. If Hook has done this on his own than doesn't that suggest that hook and the clubs Pathways program are not compatible ?
Of course they can. But the old 'why keep someone who is not happy.....'

BLM01

First Grade
We will se what team trots out
But with Bud... who gets held to a contract these days. Tallis & Hodges are the last ones I remember who did not get or stood down to play 1st grade because of it
and last i looked Bud has not asked for a release

Mjab

Juniors
Hunt is our best player
He does try his guts out every week
He is getting to the end of his career age wise and will probably need to go for the biggest paypacket he can get
I just hope that doesnt mean we give it to him.
This is his best year with us , after some fairly average ones on $1m+ a year

I can think of many halfbacks , at least 4-5 I would rather have playing for us currently
Is not and has not ever been a great halfback, just a pretty good one getting end of his career

problem is Bud has not proved himself and may not ever do so , is injury prone and may stay that way
Many promising "great" players have never made it
He needs to be the 14 and get rotations at half and hooker for more experience , maybe interchanging with hunt in those spots

we have hunt next year anyway so why do we need to resign him now in reality , we can re-sign him next year and if he wants leave so be it

possm

Coach
If Sullivan wants to break his contract with the Dragons, he should be made to pay out the value of the contract. Obvisously it would be the Bulldogs who would have to pay this from their salary cap. Implementing policies like this NRL-wide would stop the idea that players can just opt out of a contract with no penalty.

BLM01

First Grade
If Sullivan wants to break his contract with the Dragons, he should be made to pay out the value of the contract. Obvisously it would be the Bulldogs who would have to pay this from their salary cap. Implementing policies like this NRL-wide would stop the idea that players can just opt out of a contract with no penalty.
You cant penalise if said club is happy for said player to break said contract

Illusion

Bench
Most neutrals will think 700k is a lowball offer with Hunt’s current form. But it is on the money if we are thinking of the future. I do hope this also means we got a succession plan in place for Bud especially with all the rumours going around lately…
Have to remember Hunt has only had 1 year that he has lived up to his price tag so he should discount himself for the other ordinary 4 years ......

dungay dragon

Juniors
Have to remember Hunt has only had 1 year that he has lived up to his price tag so he should discount himself for the other ordinary 4 years ......
Finally Webb and the Board have grown a set and made our Captain a fair n reasonable offer for the future All Things Considered ..
700k a season is still wonderful cabbage esp after what we have forked out the past 4 seasons
If its all about money , and Hunt goes , so be it
Our emphasis should be on bolstering our forward pack , with two quality front rowers from say Haas Fifita McLean and or Lodge and spending big time etc
a quality hooker also required if Sully goes to 7
We have the backs relatively covered
Sullivan and Amone as Halves possibly even consider Garrick coming back or young Fifita from the Titans
Ramsey has virtually cemented the 1 spot , but quite easily can shift to wing or centre
Sloan can be offered a wing spot but again can be considered for 1 if needs be
Its not the end of the world if Hunt walks
So well done Board
The next big decision needs to come re the Coach
We need a general prepared to give our exciting youngsters free reign to explore attacking options and play eyes up footy , but also someone prepared to crack when some of our lazy forwards start to slacken off .
Was thinking Flanagan but a little mystified as to why no one else wanted him when he apparantly put his hand up for every job going , but was brushed
Maguire is a premiership winner who wears his heart on his sleeve
Perhaps he maybe the answer with young Woolfe and Soward as assistants
Not all doom n gloom ahead
the sun is trying so hard to force its way through 🤔 🤔

Last edited: