What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positives of 2010 Season

jayjayselmes

Juniors
Since the Eels will not be invited to the final series this year I thought we should post some positives regarding this year.

1. Mark Horo. Very impressed with him this year and great to hear he re signed. Plenty of improvement but he will be a integral forwards partner with Ben Smith when hindy retires if not already
2. Tom Humble got his first taste of NRL
3. Inu/ MAteo leaving for greener pastures in the sheep captial
4. Jono Wright improved his game somewhat
5. M Keating being sent to wenty
6. Moi Moi as usual damaging up front. Best forward in the comp imo
7. Ben smith really has matured as a player. Reminds me of hindy

any more to add?

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
We've struggled in the past to gain metres out of our own end.

This year, we've done well especially with Poore and Mannah.

I think our Forward pack has gone quite well or at least consistent.

It's the halves not creating opportunities or turnover in possession that really cost us.

So my biggest plus is that the PACK WORKED WELL.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
um.....the coming of age of tim mannah?

(yes he was oddly quiet tonight, first game all year he's not turned up)

ParraAds

Juniors
I said positives mate.... not negatives....:lol:

:lol:

Seriously though...

Ben Smith in my eyes became a gun back rower, espcially in defence.

Justin Horo's efforts.

Tim Mannah showing he will step up and be a starter in 2011.

Not much else comes to mind.... start a negatives thread and i'll write an essay on it.

mrpwnd

Bench
This was the first time i've seen Mannah get knocked over like that, at least he bumped off Sandows shoulder like a fat boy and veggies.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
:lol:

Seriously though...

Ben Smith in my eyes became a gun back rower, espcially in defence.

Justin Horo's efforts.

Tim Mannah showing he will step up and be a starter in 2011.

Not much else comes to mind.... start a negatives thread and i'll write an essay on it.
His defense is outstanding. He has really come of age in the back row

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
JJ what's your thoughts on Hayne at 6 permanently assuming we do not get any decent halfback?

jayjayselmes

Juniors
JJ what's your thoughts on Hayne at 6 permanently assuming we do not get any decent halfback?

To be honest why not. Hes dynamite when he has the ball. Burt maybe back to fullback?

What do you guys think of even putting Burt as a 5/8? I mean hes ordinary in defense but no worse than mortimer. Burt can kick, pass etc Plus he played there in his junior days.

If not we dont really have any options for next year. Burt is a way better positional player than Hayne. You would have to agree on that.

To be honest now that ive thought on it Hayne is way better with the ball in hand. Hayne and Burt could be the cats meow so to speak. Whot not try it? Burt is solid with the flashyness of Hayne. Burt kicking close to the line and Hayne kicking up field when were in our own territory?

1. Humble/Burt
6. Hayne
7. Burt/Humble
9. Robson........ kingston? lol.. ok at least i tried

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
The only positive for me, with all due respect to Jeff Robson, is that our administration has finally started to take it seriously that we need a first rate half back.
Tonight was as good as proof as ever that, if we don't have someone steering the ship, we'll hit a f**king iceberg and sink.
I don't care what we have to offer Quade Cooper - he is our last hope of cutting something decent for the halves. We need to get him.

Suity

mrpwnd

Bench
To be honest why not. Hes dynamite when he has the ball. Burt maybe back to fullback?

What do you guys think of even putting Burt as a 5/8? I mean hes ordinary in defense but no worse than mortimer. Burt can kick, pass etc Plus he played there in his junior days.

If not we dont really have any options for next year. Burt is a way better positional player than Hayne. You would have to agree on that

1. Humble/Burt
6. Hayne
7. Burt/Humble
9. Robson
Hayne needs to learn to run to the ball on kicks with much more urgency and his leaping abilities are still VERY suspect considering his height and strength, friend of mine who went to westfields sports still remembers seeing Hayne do the high jump events pretty good, so he's definately got it in him.
Fair enough, he wants to save steam in attack by limiting his pace in positional play, but if that's the case, then he's going to really need to go for some intense endurance and cardio training in the off-season.
There are alot of concerns on the defensive workload being too much for Hayne in the 6, but, with any good team, they organize their defensive structure to reduce the amount of plays that are directed to the halves.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
The only positive for me, with all due respect to Jeff Robson, is that our administration has finally started to take it seriously that we need a first rate half back.
Tonight was as good as proof as ever that, if we don't have someone steering the ship, we'll hit a f**king iceberg and sink.
I don't care what we have to offer Quade Cooper - he is our last hope of cutting something decent for the halves. We need to get him.

Suity

If something doesnt happen quick were will be sunk for next year i think. We really need experience in the halves.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
Hayne needs to learn to run to the ball on kicks with much more urgency and his leaping abilities are still VERY suspect considering his height and strength, friend of mine who went to westfields sports still remembers seeing Hayne do the high jump events pretty good, so he's definately got it in him.
Fair enough, he wants to save steam in attack by limiting his pace in positional play, but if that's the case, then he's going to really need to go for some intense endurance and cardio training in the off-season.
There are alot of concerns on the defensive workload being too much for Hayne in the 6, but, with any good team, they organize their defensive structure to reduce the amount of plays that are directed to the halves.

Yeah i agree. I really dont know what we can do? ?The halves at this stage looks like

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

Proved useless this year. Thats all we have got?

foreel

Juniors
What if we have him defend on the wing, that way he gets more of a rest and he can still do the odd kick return.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
What if we have him defend on the wing, that way he gets more of a rest and he can still do the odd kick return.

its up to the coach. Im worried for next year that more of what we did this year will rear its wretched head next year... atleast KK was half decent. Robson was better at hooker IMO, way better than he is a half or 5/8.

we better pick up someone ASAP

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Id send them away. Far away. Long long long holiday no where near anything remote to any sort of competition. They need to relax.

I think they are burned out and need a fresh start next year.

oldmancraigy

Coach

I know I know!!!

What about we have Hayne defend at fullback - he's by far our best option there (and best in the league at making try saving tackles) - and then give him a bit of a roving commission in attack so that he can pop up wherever he wants!

Oh - that's what we do.

back to the topic:

POSITIVES:

1) Props. How awesome have our props been this season? In fact our pack in general has been very very strong and rarely beaten. Hopefully we get a halfback who can organise the team behind that meterage!

2) Hayne at FB all season. For the first time ever he played the whole year at his best position. No stupidity of shuffling him around to different spots in the backline all year only to end up putting him back at FB for the last bit of the year (07, 08, 09). Positive sign that Anderson was willing to stick with him there and work on the halves - looking at the big picture and not weakening our best position to make our worst a little better.

Latest posts