What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positives

Card Shark

Immortal
honourable loss...

I thought we weren't gunna have them. Refs aside, If we didn't take the penalty goal (or deliberately missed it) & set up properly for the field goal, Tigers wouldve had an honorable loss.

Plenty of positives to take away, we just need to get our tactics right in the big plays.

newman

First Grade
There were a million positives to take from that game.

For those who were watching at home or at the pub, let me say this: It was absolutely stinking, bastarding hot. I am not predisposed to getting sunburned. I lathered myself in suncream and wore a hat but sit here typing you this update absolutely red raw. What you couldnt understand from watching on the box was that the thick grass at LO was absolutely drenched and muddy. So the humidity coming out of the grass from that blazing sun was like something from Mars. Or Bali.

The big positive I take from that game was it showed what a quality, quality player Toddie is. Its no fluke that with him getting on the outside shoulder of his A defender and providing crisp, pinpoint service that Pom and Best had their best games in a long while. Why isnt anyone talking about that try that was a mirror image of Marshalls (who is supposedly better than Dally Messenger) You know what else? I reckon he aimed that kick off at the cross-bar. I reckon it was deliberate. We havent had a player like him at the Sharks for some years. If he was playing like that from early in the game and not only in the second half when we were playing from behind we would have won, easy. But hes still finding his way and reasonable observers will give him due time.

When we play a match that isnt in oppressive heat, I think you will see our forward pack start to dominate long periods of games, and Todd will thrive from that. We really started to get on top of them in the 2nd 3rd of the 2nd half and with a few more games under our belts, teams are going to find it hard to contain us. Best scores that try and we win, easy. Keep in mind people that this game was our first full hit out under "proper game" conditions with upwards of 5 new starters. When a few more little things click into place that need to click into place, watch out.

The conditions were against us. The refs were against us. A hostile crowd was against us. Our record against the tigers was against us. And we came that close. Bill Harrigan has said that we shoulda got the ball back after Todds first fg attempt and its hard to see Todd missing twice from that range, so he is essentially saying we should have won. So, who will we play in the GF?

Last edited:

spider

Coach
It was noticeable that our forwards remained in the middle lane for the 'majority' of the game also

Which allows TC to service the backs.

the forwards were a mixed bag.

ross and gibbs were solid. Smith, gal and Toops were solid.

Bakuya and morris were very good off the bench but Tagatese and Fafita.didnt have great games.

fafita looks unfit to me.

maybe Tafua or jon green could get a run soon?

Miller Lite

Juniors
There were a million positives to take from that game.

For those who were watching at home or at the pub, let me say this: It was absolutely stinking, bastarding hot. I am not predisposed to getting sunburned. I lathered myself in suncream and wore a hat but sit here typing you this update absolutely red raw. What you couldnt understand from watching on the box was that the thick grass at LO was absolutely drenched and muddy. So the humidity coming out of the grass from that blazing sun was like something from Mars. Or Bali.

The big positive I take from that game was it showed what a quality, quality player Toddie is. Its no fluke that with him getting on the outside shoulder of his A defender and providing crisp, pinpoint service that Pom and Best had their best games in a long while. Why isnt anyone talking about that try that was a mirror image of Marshalls (who is supposedly better than Dally Messenger) You know what else? I reckon he aimed that kick off at the cross-bar. I reckon it was deliberate. We havent had a player like him at the Sharks for some years. If he was playing like that from early in the game and not only in the second half when we were playing from behind we would have won, easy. But hes still finding his way and reasonable observers will give him due time.

When we play a match that isnt in oppressive heat, I think you will see our forward pack start to dominate long periods of games, and Todd will thrive from that. We really started to get on top of them in the 2nd 3rd of the 2nd half and with a few more games under our belts, teams are going to find it hard to contain us. Best scores that try and we win, easy. Keep in mind people that this game was our first full hit out under "proper game" conditions with upwards of 5 new starters. When a few more little things click into place that need to click into place, watch out.

The conditions were against us. The refs were against us. A hostile crowd was against us. Our record against the tigers was against us. And we came that close. Bill Harrigan has said that we shoulda got the ball back after Todds first fg attempt and its hard to see Todd missing twice from that range, so he is essentially saying we should have won. So, who will we play in the GF?

Nice summation, Newms.

I'm sure we'll win the re-match on the first Sunday in October.

scarcev

Juniors
Id be rapped if I was a Sharky fan, hard to take a loss like that granted but you played like crap for half a game and still created more scoring chances than you did in first half of last season, unlucky to get done, hostile crowd, trying conditions, Carney is only going to get better, big day and a lot of nervous energy expended from Gibbs and Fifita so they will improve and if Carney kicks straight you win, to top it all off your centres went well which surprised the shit out of me I must say!!

Quigs

Immortal
1969-1974

Toddys good, but he is not a scratch on that bloke Miller. That bloke would of smacked a few, kicked some big forwards shins, farked with their heads, and that would of been in the first twenty minutes.

But Toddy is good.

adamkungl

Immortal
Bill Harrigan has said that we shoulda got the ball back after Todds first fg attempt and its hard to see Todd missing twice from that range, so he is essentially saying we should have won. So, who will we play in the GF?

Wouldn't be so sure.... think back to the classic 2010 Tigers Roosters prelim. Carney, Pearce, Marshall, Farah have shot after f**king shot, they must have missed about 15 between them, should have went for the try.

Carney doesn't seem to pick his field goal shots as well as someone like Soward or Anasta tbh. Needs to clear his head and find the right moment.

SharkShocked

Bench
Not to mention if we had set up for the field goal like St George do...with 3 forwards standing as a wall so that no player can actually get through to make the chargedown, he probably would have slotted it.

Difference between a team that is calm and calculated and a team that panics.

Only with exposure to these situations however will they improve.

it seems to me adam that kicking from longer range is easier than kicking from closer.

when you are so close..its cramped. you dont do it the same. and they have the opportunity to get right in your face.

but yeahm we needed to set it up better.

say have 3 guys standing behind the play the ball in a line and carney 10 meters behid that. carney gets fad the pass, the blockers run interference and theres less pressure.

spider

Coach
Let's not forget the attributing factors to why it took TC 45 minutes to inject himself

Our poor completion rate didn't allow field position let alone any pressure build up

Not only the forwards dominating pave the halves platform, but getting to the kick on every set lays a rhythm.

newman

First Grade
Yep... way too many errors in the first half.

First half really was a very very poor quality game.

I sound like I am making excuses, but you can put that down to the heat. I was just watching and at times felt a bit woozy. I cant imagine how hard it would have been to be playing. Did I mention it was farrrrrrrrrrken hot?

SharkShocked

Bench
Oh no doubt... but if any team expects to compete in those games, irrespective of the conditions you've got to hold the ball... whether that means more risk free footy and just one out boring stuff to get into control and get some momentum up so be it.

I'm with you newman - i thought there were really quite a lot of positives to take from that game and am pretty happy with the effort put in... i stayed around at the leagues club and saw the players get off the bus when they got back and they were absolutely gutted.... and rightly so...

We certainly do have some things to fix up at the back, we also need to work on our calmness under pressure, being a methodical well drilled side.

But i personally think they will play a better brand of footy and be more competitive this year...

Ausguy

Coach
only a win over newcastle will make things better.... and they need to be 0-2 with bennett coaching.

Miller Lite

Juniors
Toddys good, but he is not a scratch on that bloke Miller. That bloke would of smacked a few, kicked some big forwards shins, farked with their heads, and that would of been in the first twenty minutes.

But Toddy is good.

Oh, absolutely agree, Quigs. RCB asked when was the last time we had a quality halfback and I reckon TC is our best since TB.

newman

First Grade
Noddy. Did we lose a round one game in golden point against the tigers a few years ago?

yeah. 07

lance Thompson got penalised on a sunday arvo on 9 infront of the sticks 10 meters out.

noddy missed a field goal attempt from infront before hand