What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible NRL Expansion

john13

Juniors
These are the possible NRL Expansion in my opinion

Brisbane (2nd Team)
Central Coast
Perth
2nd New Zealand Team (Wellington, Christchurch)

What do you guys think?

Matchball

Bench
Darwin team.
They will pull bigger home crowds than any sydney club can and open up some talent never seen before.
They have a population of 160k, im sure they could get a quarter of the city to the home games and there just isnt anything else to do up there.

I agree on the NZ team and WA teams but Qld already has 3 teams and another would only be successful by stealing fans from the other 3. That blows.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hehe, new to the board?
Cc and Perth are the only realistic options at this point in time.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Darwin team.
They will pull bigger home crowds than any sydney club can and open up some talent never seen before.
They have a population of 160k, im sure they could get a quarter of the city to the home games and there just isnt anything else to do up there.

I agree on the NZ team and WA teams but Qld already has 3 teams and another would only be successful by stealing fans from the other 3. That blows.

I don't think that's true at all. Brisbane alone used to have nearly ten clubs in the BRL and now apparently less than half of Brisbanites support the Bronx.

Last edited:

VictoryFC

Bench
Perth and Brisbane 2 to take us through to 2020.

Perth is the obvious choice: large market with strong local corporate scene, and with a redeveloped 20,000 stadium to walk into. On top of that, it has the benefit of being 2 hours behind the East Coast, meaning more games can be shown on TV live.

Central Coast, Tassie, PNG proponents need a lie down. Adelaide and NZ2 are around I guess, but neither of them bring what Perth/Brisbane 2 bring to the table.

VictoryFC

Bench
There is no Adelaide bid.

Gee thanks. Theres no veritable NZ2 bid either, but how does that change what we're talking about?

The addendum I put there was just to discard the last major market in Australia with no club, Perth/Brisbane2 notwithstanding.

They'd better give the Central Coast Bears the go ahead soon ... because the Wyong Roos have got a crazy look in their eyes and the green and gold mob are up to NSW Cup level already ... just saying.

I've said for ages an established CC team with CC links, heritage and history should build itself up and become a NRL team.

Wyong Roos have always been the 'stronger' team on the coast.

BazzaButt

Juniors
I've said for ages an established CC team with CC links, heritage and history should build itself up and become a NRL team.

Wyong Roos have always been the 'stronger' team on the coast.

Im for promo / relegation.

Strong local , established and succesful local clubs gaining the right to take a shot.

Organic growth is the key here. Not created franchises

reanimate

Bench
They'd better give the Central Coast Bears the go ahead soon ... because the Wyong Roos have got a crazy look in their eyes and the green and gold mob are up to NSW Cup level already ... just saying.

They wouldn't be able to call themselves Roos if they made it into the NRL, Kangaroos is the name of our national side- it's too much of a clash

They wouldn't be able to call themselves Roos if they made it into the NRL, Kangaroos is the name of our national side- it's too much of a clash

I'm sure they could tweak/alter their name and colours...but still be that organisation.

It's the same with, say Redcliffe, in Brisbane.

And even the Central Qld bid appears to have got in to bed with the Capras.

And at least the Wyong Roos plays on the CC. Do the Bears even play at Gosford in the NSW Cup at the moment?

Clarke

Juniors
Gee thanks. Theres no veritable NZ2 bid either, but how does that change what we're talking about?

The addendum I put there was just to discard the last major market in Australia with no club, Perth/Brisbane2 notwithstanding.

No need to be rude.

"Adelaide and NZ2 are around I guess"

made me thank that you thought there was a bid around.

The Great Dane

First Grade
NZ2 are around I guess

Though none have got up/gone public yet, I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that there were a couple of groups of business men in New Zealand that were preparing bids, one in Wellington and the other in Christchurch.

But I have not heard anything about either group for over a year so maybe they have given up, but on the other hand they could just be quite.

Here's a couple links. http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/christchurch-nrl-bid-cards-4731088
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...o-invest-in-second-nz-bid-20120305-1ueab.html

There were other articles as well but I can't be bothered to find them.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Perth is an obvious choice for expansion and should be #1 on the list.

Brisbane needs another team however it'd be better served out west in Springfield, located between Ipswich and Logan however the ARLC need to right the wrongs for the Bears first before having a Brisbane2 team, B2 would have to be a short term plan to happen not long after WC Pirates and Bears and a 19 team comp can work. The Bears would be a good news story and bring old and new fans back.

Adelaide is way down the list and any chance they have is a partial relocation starting with 3 games a year moving to 6-12 games within a decade.

NZ2 is a no brainer for many reasons, another Kiwi team means a stronger international game, NRL TV ratings and new fans. It'd have to be either a Wellington based team playing 3-4 games in Christchurch IMO.

PNG for similar reasons as NZ, however the safety factor is a major issue.

Darwin is a great idea and would be supported, and a full relocation would work.

CQ Capras with a good business plan, which I believe they have is another viable option

Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane would be way done the track if it went ahead if there was already was 3 other SEQ teams.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Perth is an obvious choice for expansion and should be #1 on the list.

Agree 100%.

Brisbane needs another team however it'd be better served out west in Springfield, located between Ipswich and Logan however the ARLC need to right the wrongs for the Bears first before having a Brisbane2 team, B2 would have to be a short term plan to happen not long after WC Pirates and Bears and a 19 team comp can work. The Bears would be a good news story and bring old and new fans back.

Personally I think the ARLC should try to pressure the Bears to move their bid to Brisbane. This would kill two birds with one stone and leave another place for expansion open.

The only draw back would be that the Bears would be letting their Central Coast fans down.

Adelaide is way down the list and any chance they have is a partial relocation starting with 3 games a year moving to 6-12 games within a decade.

I also agree with this if we are trying to get a team there as soon as possible, but I think that Adelaide would be better served by waiting and growing the support for the game and eventually bidding for their own team like Perth did.

NZ2 is a no brainer for many reasons, another Kiwi team means a stronger international game, NRL TV ratings and new fans. It'd have to be either a Wellington based team playing 3-4 games in Christchurch IMO.

Personally I think that another team in New Zealand is more important to Rugby League as a whole then another team in Brisbane is. Another team in NZ would help the international game, RL in NZ and the NRLs bottom line as well. Where another team in Brisbane would only be about the money that the NRL can make from it, which is not a bad thing at all, and I do believe that the NRL needs another team in Brisbane but I just think that another team in NZ should take priority if it is viable.

Anyway, I doubt that we will see another team in NZ in the next set of expansions.

PNG for similar reasons as NZ, however the safety factor is a major issue.

PNG won't get their own team for a very long time, but when it is safe enough an NRL team will come.

Darwin is a great idea and would be supported, and a full relocation would work.

Darwin is one of those places that just needs one of the code to take the leap, they will follow the team even if it is just because the team is from Darwin.

I would be happy to bet that if we (or any other code) expanded to Darwin tomorrow the team would survive, but it would still be a risk and the team would probably be anchored to the bottom of the table for quite some time.

CQ Capras with a good business plan, which I believe they have is another viable option.

Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane would be way done the track if it went ahead if there was already was 3 other SEQ teams.

We need to be careful not to place to many teams in Queensland (particularly in Brisbane) otherwise we could end up with another situation like Sydney where we have more teams then we need and it is holding the game back in other areas.

But in saying that I reckon that CQ will eventually get their own team.

Last edited:

Latest posts