What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible NRL Expansion

Beowulf

Juniors
I think the Bears would consider relocation interstate if and only if they were advised by the ARLC that the CC is not and never will be an option. That hopefully will not happen! The damage done to league on the coast was be significant and terminal for the north shore. The damage done to Manly in the long term would be severe also, not that many of them will admit!

However, if it did, then, I agree, it makes a lot of sense for many reasons to enter them interstate. As a fan, it is my least palatable option as Bluetongue is closer than say Brisbane to me, but there will be many 'away' games in Sydney that can be packaged for Sydney Bears members, exactly as the Sth Melbourne memberships work well for the Swans. If the alternative is no Bears, I'd take an interstate move.

Wonder if WA, Ipswich, Bombers or Central QLD have either approached the Bears or NRL with this...if ever there was a way to guarantee a license....

Diesel

Referee
You raise some good points about relocation and the Great Dane did as well. If the ARLC did say the CC is not an option but a move to one of our expansion locations is, then I hope Brisbane is the prefered place for them. Obviously there is a lot of decisions to be made over the next few years but it is encouraging for Bears and Pirates fans to hear that expansion is being mooted by a CEO

docbrown

Coach
I think the Bears would consider relocation interstate if and only if they were advised by the ARLC that the CC is not and never will be an option. That hopefully will not happen! The damage done to league on the coast was be significant and terminal for the north shore. The damage done to Manly in the long term would be severe also, not that many of them will admit!

However, if it did, then, I agree, it makes a lot of sense for many reasons to enter them interstate. As a fan, it is my least palatable option as Bluetongue is closer than say Brisbane to me, but there will be many 'away' games in Sydney that can be packaged for Sydney Bears members, exactly as the Sth Melbourne memberships work well for the Swans. If the alternative is no Bears, I'd take an interstate move.

Wonder if WA, Ipswich, Bombers or Central QLD have either approached the Bears or NRL with this...if ever there was a way to guarantee a license....

The smartest thing to do is to bring back the Bears on the Central Coast as one of the next 4 teams (Central Coast, WA, NZ2 and South Qld). No other code could boast that unique kind of footprint. All 4 could tap into rugby league fanbases.

WA, NZ & South Queensland all have strong cases to merit inclusion in a 20 team comp, just like Central Coast. WA for national footprint, NZ2 for international footprint/derby and South Queensland to lock up Brisbane/Qld and create another set of derbies.

Meanwhile Central Coast's big points are that it locks up that rugby league heartland, heals a super league wound and revitalises an existing fanbase area in North Sydney.

The only contentious point is whether or not Adelaide, Central Queensland or PNG are more worthy than the Central Coast.

In my opinion Adelaide is years away, long after Perth has been established and has secured its future. At that point there would actually be a local demand for a team rather than AFL style plonking on a map.

PNG is stronger than Adelaide but it has all the issues associated with being the only team from a third world country playing in a first world comp. I suspect it may be too big a hurdle to overcome but I'd love to see the game grow in PNG, there may be otherwise of doing that. Perhaps dedicate 3 to 5 neutral games a year in a secure stadium, expanding PNG player numbers in the comp and international opportunities. Regardless it seems as far off as Adelaide.

Central Queensland's probably strongest of these other 3 and although a heartland it will have a big problem for quite a while - a small population. Although its growing it's playing catch up to these other areas, including the Central Coast. It may also be serviced by 3 or so neutral games a year.

At the same time the Central Coast is growing and will continue to grow. It will rival the Hunter Valley soon enough which in turn is big enough for the Knights not to require the Coast as a catchment.

But if the NRL think the Central Coast will never get a team - which is a mistake mind you - then yes the Bears brand should be resurrected elsewhere for the same reasons I've said above - heals a super league wound and revitalises an existing fanbase area in North Sydney. Plus you now have an interstate club with a decent fanbase in Sydney.

bobmar28

Bench
The smartest thing to do is to bring back the Bears on the Central Coast as one of the next 4 teams (Central Coast, WA, NZ2 and South Qld). No other code could boast that unique kind of footprint. All 4 could tap into rugby league fanbases.

WA, NZ & South Queensland all have strong cases to merit inclusion in a 20 team comp, just like Central Coast. WA for national footprint, NZ2 for international footprint/derby and South Queensland to lock up Brisbane/Qld and create another set of derbies.

Meanwhile Central Coast's big points are that it locks up that rugby league heartland, heals a super league wound and revitalises an existing fanbase area in North Sydney.

The only contentious point is whether or not Adelaide, Central Queensland or PNG are more worthy than the Central Coast.

In my opinion Adelaide is years away, long after Perth has been established and has secured its future. At that point there would actually be a local demand for a team rather than AFL style plonking on a map.

PNG is stronger than Adelaide but it has all the issues associated with being the only team from a third world country playing in a first world comp. I suspect it may be too big a hurdle to overcome but I'd love to see the game grow in PNG, there may be otherwise of doing that. Perhaps dedicate 3 to 5 neutral games a year in a secure stadium, expanding PNG player numbers in the comp and international opportunities. Regardless it seems as far off as Adelaide.

Central Queensland's probably strongest of these other 3 and although a heartland it will have a big problem for quite a while - a small population. Although its growing it's playing catch up to these other areas, including the Central Coast. It may also be serviced by 3 or so neutral games a year.

At the same time the Central Coast is growing and will continue to grow. It will rival the Hunter Valley soon enough which in turn is big enough for the Knights not to require the Coast as a catchment.

But if the NRL think the Central Coast will never get a team - which is a mistake mind you - then yes the Bears brand should be resurrected elsewhere for the same reasons I've said above - heals a super league wound and revitalises an existing fanbase area in North Sydney. Plus you now have an interstate club with a decent fanbase in Sydney.

The smartest thing would be bring back the Bears on the Central Coast? You're dreaming. NSW doesn't need an 11th team. That's not expansion.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I do love the Bears "brand" particularly their jersey....

Is saddens me to see all those Western Sydney soccer bandwagon jumpers wearing that stolen jersey design all over town...

I have long been a supporter of the next SEQ team to adopt the Bears name and jersey....

Clarke

Juniors
I've said it before and I will say it again.

I love how people state opinion as fact.

I don't think that's true at all. Brisbane alone used to have nearly ten clubs in the BRL and now apparently less than half of Brisbanites support the Bronx.

That right plus the Brisbane population is expected to increase by a million over the next 20 years. Can not see this happening in places such as Darwin which will become a ghost town once all the mining projects finsih up. Given there is as many AFL sides in SE Qld as there are in RL sides, the NRL needs to take the make sure they secure this area of RL heartland.

Beowulf

Juniors
They're barely going to be viable as a NSWCup team
Agree. Will struggle this year and for a few more...will be interesting to see if they persist with NSW Cup. It takes a lot of coin with no JV partner and with the real prospect of finishing bottom or near bottom - sponsors will only suport for so long....