What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

post-Thurston era Cowboys

King hit

Coach
Brad Cydle over Bill Harrigan in 89

Yep nothing to with the fact that Pearce knocked on with a 3 on 1 overlap, Elias didn't kick the ball high enough, Mick Neil wasn't a split second faster and the coach for 2 taking Roach and Sironen off. Balmain f**ked it up and the Raiders didn't.

Big Pete

Referee
Lockyer over Luke Phillips in 2000.

Phillips was a whole-hearted player, but Lockyer was rightfully rewarded for a more complete performance. Phillips was dependable at the back but the majority of his defensive plays would have been expected of any fullback worth their weight.

Meanwhile Lockyer saved tries, created tries and was pinning the Roosters down with his kicking game.

Check out Kevin Ward being robbed by Cliffy Lyons in the 87 decider.

I've got the 80s GF set gathering dust, I'll check it out.

Ta for the recommendation.

Canard

Immortal
Brad Mackay in 93 was the worst I've seen in my lifetime.

The Broncos were never troubled and scored 3 tries to nil.

The fact that Reg Gasnier and Johnny Raper were on the selection panel didn't surprise.

Closely followed by Taweru Nikau in 1999, who had one of the most dominant performances I've ever seen in a big game.

I remember Maloney's performance being tempered somewhat with mistakes, but it's been awhile since I've gone back and watched it.

I'll keep an eye out.

Pete if you re-watch the 2013 Grand Final, the bloke that misses the tackle on Maloney in the lead up to SKD's try? Daly Cherry-Evans. Also the bloke that missies the tackle on Sonny Bill Williams in the lead up to Jennings' try? Yep, its Daly Cherry-Evans yet again.

Plenty of people reckon it should have gone to either SBW, Maloney or Sam Moa as opposed to DCE.

Big Pete

Referee
Pete if you re-watch the 2013 Grand Final, the bloke that misses the tackle on Maloney in the lead up to SKD's try? Daly Cherry-Evans. Also the bloke that missies the tackle on Sonny Bill Williams in the lead up to Jennings' try? Yep, its Daly Cherry-Evans yet again.

Plenty of people reckon it should have gone to either SBW, Maloney or Sam Moa as opposed to DCE.

I caught a replay of the game tonight. On the first instance, G. Stewart turned in on Moa when Harrison had him covered. It forced DCE to go 1-1 with SBW who ran at the hole Stewart presented and allowed him to find Maloney with the offload.

SBW shrugged DCE off in cover, but it was Ballin and Buhrer who failed to stop SBW from breaking the line.

After watching the game again, I can see your (and Tommy's) point. At the time I was impressed with Cherry-Evan's involvement in the game and how he had to virtually carry the Sea Eagle's kicking game. Daly was one of the most consistent players on the park, but he didn't quite have the impact I thought he did.

Personally I would have stuck with my original alternate, Sam Moa, but Maloney would have been a fine choice as well. Regardless, Cherry-Evans shouldn't have been the CC and I don't think I've ever seen a player in a losing side deserve the medal.

Canard

Immortal

SBW, whilst having some big plays, was very quiet for the majority of the game.

DeeJ

Bench
SBW, whilst having some big plays, was very quiet for the majority of the game.

Foran did a good job of shutting him out with some big defense in the first half. He was smashing him everytime he had the ball.

To his credit SBW did well to come back.

King hit

Coach
Just watched the 2013 Grand Final

If I was to give the clive churchill medal I would've given it to Maloney. He influenced the result more than anyone else. 2 try assists from kicks, the line break of SBW that lead to the 3rd try, kicked 5/5 and 3 were difficult kicks in pressure situations and wasn't overawed in defence. SBW did make an impression on the result but he wasn't consistent across the whole game. DCE did have a good game but with that 18-8 lead and Manly on a roll he should've gone on and rounded it out but he didn't and Maloney on the other hand stepped up and delivered at the crunch time. Still remember people complaining about the booing of him after the game :) people weren't booing him they were booing the decision to give it to him. DCE was still pretty popular at the time.

Shame that this Grand Final never gets talked about much these days. It was such a high quality contest between 2 great teams that went hell for leather at each other. A classic that contained everything.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Um that's been decided by the salty Bronco fans .
We no hope without JT apparently .
Even though you point out making the GF in 2017 without him for half the season .
Just turned into the biggest ccm rort thread.

Matt Scott’s surgery was a success and reckons it’s the best his body has felt for awhile. Promising news

Hutty1986

Immortal
Just watched the 2013 Grand Final

If I was to give the clive churchill medal I would've given it to Maloney. He influenced the result more than anyone else. 2 try assists from kicks, the line break of SBW that lead to the 3rd try, kicked 5/5 and 3 were difficult kicks in pressure situations and wasn't overawed in defence. SBW did make an impression on the result but he wasn't consistent across the whole game. DCE did have a good game but with that 18-8 lead and Manly on a roll he should've gone on and rounded it out but he didn't and Maloney on the other hand stepped up and delivered at the crunch time. Still remember people complaining about the booing of him after the game :) people weren't booing him they were booing the decision to give it to him. DCE was still pretty popular at the time.

Shame that this Grand Final never gets talked about much these days. It was such a high quality contest between 2 great teams that went hell for leather at each other. A classic that contained everything.
That Jennings try was a cracker too. He was one rapid hombre back then

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Josh McGuire is a good signing. Scott to bench?
I reckon put josh at lock. Coops and jt in the backrow and send hess out to raise hell in the middle instead of bludging on the edges to lesson the blow when jt comes off