What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potter it is.

Matchball

Bench
NEW Tigers coach Mick Potter has no intention of putting the shackles on playmaker Benji Marshall adding that he was looking forward to working with him and fellow spearhead Robbie Farah.

Potter was unveiled as the replacement for Tim Sheens by the Tigers, today, signing a two-year deal following a stint in the British Super League with Bradford, Catalans and St Helens.

"I'm really looking forward to working with some senior players like Braith Anasta and Robbie Farah and Benji," Potter said.

"I think they play an open brand of football and probably just had a few too many points scored against them."

Who can stop the Storm in 2013? Get the best odds at OddsScanner

Potter who met some of the players at the Tigers training base of Concord Oval wouldn't give specifics of how he was intending to get the club back into the eight.

"I've got my own ideas and my own thoughts on some individuals and the way we play but I'd rather just get on with business at the moment and worry about the football side once pre-season starts."

Potter said it was crucial not to weigh a player like Marshall down with too much structure.

"You don't want to stifle a player like Benji and I think if you look at some things that he does ... he creates space for other people and creates space for himself and he's very good at it and I don't want to stifle that and that's his style," he said.

"But certainly I'll make some subtle changes, not to his game but to compliment some other people because it's a team game ... to get the best out of everyone, there might be some subtle changes."

Potter was awarded the role ahead of Melbourne Storm assistant Kevin Walters and Parramatta assistant Matt Parish.

The Tigers punted Sheens, their 2005 premiership winning coach, after missing out on this year's top eight after starting the year as favourites.

Potter was this year named Super League coach of the year, an award he also won in 2008.

Wests Tigers Chief Executive Stephen Humphreys said he was thrilled to secure Potter's services for the next couple of seasons.

"Mick has enjoyed considerable success in Europe and we have no doubt that he is ready for the challenge that the NRL will present," Humprheys said.

"We see him as the perfect person for the role. He has demonstrated his qualities as a Coach in a range of differing circumstances over the last seven years. He will bring not only this experience but importantly, also a fresh pair of eyes and a new energy to our cub."

Mick Potter