What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practical Ideas for expanding and gaining new players

joshreading

Staff member
I was thinking what if the AMNRL in conjuntion with a couple of the Super League teams and NRL teams put on a Rugby League weekend where each team would bring scouts to look for potential players to vie for professional contracts.

In the least it could be just an opportunity or exchange to try out for a contract.

If you promoted this I am sure that you would get alot of athletes, Rugby Union and of course Legue players come and show their potential.

Have games, coaching clinics, athletic performance tests etc. all under the eyes of scouts from the NRL and Super League. I am sure you would get the players turn out and the NRL or Super League might nab themselves some potentials. (especially if they were salary cap exempt)

Any thoughts - even do it across the US. One in Philly are One Mid and one on the West Coast.

roopy

Referee
I was thinking the other day that the Americans could have a challenge cup knockout comp and invite four RU sides to play against the bottom four League sides in the first round - that would commit the Union sides to just one game at first, or a total of four games to win the entire comp, but it would give League a chance to spread the word to about 60 new players, some of whom might put together sides for the regular comp.
As part of the deal the League guys could send over a bunch of coaches and tapes of games etc to 'teach' the Union guys how to play the game.
This would also give the bottom four League clubs a few much needed victories, which would be good for morale, and also first look at any potential new players to come from the Union ranks.

hot dog

Juniors
I like it; but it might have to start off as a game in each code..
So, the Knights could play Old Blue in League and Union.....
Coming up with some way to get these guys involved with each other and interacting can't lose.

I'm nt sure if we could find the Union teams to actually play a League match within our schedule; but it would definately be worth looking into.
:clap: