What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice Makes Perfect For Knights Custodian

Burwood

Bench
kidleyyo2.jpg

Burwood

Bench
Good article that should go someway towards answering the questions of his critics. Of most note was his comment on his fitness:

I think it suits my type of fitness. There's plenty of running and plenty of work. Fullback is probably harder aerobically and more tiring than five-eighth, but that's the way I prefer it.

Gidley's fitness won't be wasted at fullback, and I'd rather see him play there then get ran off his feet each week at lock.

Burwood

Bench
Captain_Fred said:
Well, I suddenly got more confident of Kidley playing at fullback :)

Smith isn't a complete idiot:D He must have some grand plan with Kidley at fullback for the opening round(s). And I think that it fits into the "defensive shackles" that Smith eluded to- the best way for Newcastle to negate Canterbury's monster pack tomorrow is by running them ragged and playing sideline-to-sideline football. Two passes from Johns and Mullen, and Kidley will have the ball 40m across field running at their outside backs.

astrogirl

First Grade
Great article. Thanks to all who take the time to scan and post :)

lol at the end paragraph about the silver bunny

Pumba

First Grade
Reading that article boosted my confidence of having Kidley at the back. I have no doubt as I have said before if Kidley can be safe under the high ball he will make a successful fullback. I will keep further judgement until after the game tommorrow.

Gotta laugh at the "Bunnygate" Scandal though.

Yosh

Coach
Kidley can also make some amazing last ditch tackles, no matter how big the ball runner is. Hopefully if anyone makes a break he will clean them up good ^^

antonius

Coach
The article is heartening, and I hope the practice has the desired effect. I'm the first to admit, I don't like the idea of Kids at fullback because of his record under the ball. I'll reserve my judgement until fulltime on Sunday.

Jono078

Referee
antonius said:
The article is heartening, and I hope the practice has the desired effect. I'm the first to admit, I don't like the idea of Kids at fullback because of his record under the ball. I'll reserve my judgement until fulltime on Sunday.
I think it will be a bit unfair to give him one game to prove himself at the back.

I'll give him til round 4-5 to see what he's made of.

roopy

Referee
One of his big flaws as a fullback was his judgement in defence.
Robbie O made a million tackles where he pulled guys up a metre before the line - which is the judgement of a fullback with years of experience showing.
Kidley seems to be wrapped all around guys as they go over the line to score. He needs to get his timing adjusted to bring those guys down a metre or two earlier.

antonius

Coach
Jono078 said:
I think it will be a bit unfair to give him one game to prove himself at the back.

I'll give him til round 4-5 to see what he's made of.
Kids has had plenty of time at fullback previously (during O'Davis extended stay on the sideline, and when Seage was out injured) to know what is needed there, the position isn't new to him. I would suggest that if he shows any of his old traits, Thaiday will walk straight back into the role. Saying that I'll be watching Thaiday with great interest in Premmy on Sunday, he is going to be hard to keep out og firsts if he shows any of the form we know he has.

CJKnight

Juniors
Guess that answers alot of questions regarding Kidley's exposure to the high ball. I feel alot more comfortable after reading the article though.

Burwood

Bench
Lets hope that in the time between when this photo was taken and the match tomorrow he has learned to catch with his eyes open.:lol:

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Hahaha
I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes this arvo, hopefully all the off season training has put him in good stead for the season.
I still can't get over how fickle the bunnies were about the little silver bunny. Just ridiculous I think.

Latest posts