What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-season Challenge vs Pennys Sat 11 Feb @ 6pm | Kayo | Foxtel

84 Baby

Referee
Watch the video there is no one in front of Moma the marker isn't pushing across and the fullback is no where near him. The centre is also defensing Cini and going for the intercept.

View attachment 70241
Hodgson did a good job engaging the marker then, just poor pass. But their centre is 100% in front of Moimosea. He only adjusts because he reads the pass. Perhaps a misdirect from Hodgson would’ve really opened it up for Jirah.
Also in the end their centre isn’t defending anyone, except Hodgson’s passing lane, but in the initial shot you can see he’s showing defence of Moimosea, not Cini. Evidenced by the second shot, if Cini receives that ball, he goes over untouched. What it also shows is the unders run is probably negated too (everyone is just going to crash in on the same spot), which is further evidence our players are out of structure (for this to be a scoring play). For it to be recovered, and I think this is a situation Mahoney is better at (despite hE NeVeR rUnS), Hodgson needed to take the extra step to trigger the defence, but that comes at cost/risk of the defence hitting him.
At the end of the day, this intercept probably will have zero effect but hopefully our team learns from it and the opposition don’t.

84 Baby

Referee
Defenders position themselves relative to attackers.
They SHOULD. It’s why we should’ve been deeper/wider on this play. Best case it’s the same defence and it’s pass to Moimosea who passes it straight on to Cini who scores easily, likely case it’s one on ones to the wing and someone (probably Cini) just needs to challenge the defence, or worst case the defence floods that side but that hopefully opens up the other side of field more on the next tackle.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He didn't need to go wider the gap is big enough, but if he was wider that would have probably prevented the intercept as the Panfer center would of had to cover him.
The 2 markers we slow to get out of marker that's why there was a gap for Moma with the line he was running.
Well he was too far away to threaten the defence. Hodgson held the pass up for as long as he could without the defenders disrupting it.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Our first choice #12 and our bench cover for Hodgson is what I'm keen to see resolved, through teh coming trial/selections. Surely Brad has some (decent) plan for 20+ mins a match when Hodgson isn't on...

strider

Post Whore
I reckon if Russell doesn't get a spot in the top 13,he should be our 14.shift guth to hooker when hodgo is taking a break.

I reckon Russell could cover 1 to 6 as well
I don't know if Gutho to dummy half + defending in the middle for a period, then expecting him to slot back to fullback is a great idea .... he is fit - but would probably be fairly taxing to expect someone to defend in the middle for 20 minutes then be effective at fullback

TheParraboy

Staff member
I don't know if Gutho to dummy half + defending in the middle for a period, then expecting him to slot back to fullback is a great idea .... he is fit - but would probably be fairly taxing to expect someone to defend in the middle for 20 minutes then be effective at fullback

If we have 55% of the ball in that 20min, he is defending only for 9 min

yy_cheng

Coach
On tct, they said yates played a game just prior to the trials in that heat

They said his fitness was v good and so he could play well throughput the trial.

Guth, fitness is bettwr than yates

Eelogical

Referee
Hodgson did a good job engaging the marker then, just poor pass. But their centre is 100% in front of Moimosea. He only adjusts because he reads the pass. Perhaps a misdirect from Hodgson would’ve really opened it up for Jirah.
Also in the end their centre isn’t defending anyone, except Hodgson’s passing lane, but in the initial shot you can see he’s showing defence of Moimosea, not Cini. Evidenced by the second shot, if Cini receives that ball, he goes over untouched. What it also shows is the unders run is probably negated too (everyone is just going to crash in on the same spot), which is further evidence our players are out of structure (for this to be a scoring play). For it to be recovered, and I think this is a situation Mahoney is better at (despite hE NeVeR rUnS), Hodgson needed to take the extra step to trigger the defence, but that comes at cost/risk of the defence hitting him.
At the end of the day, this intercept probably will have zero effect but hopefully our team learns from it and the opposition don’t.
Are you a forensic pathologist? Asking for nobody in particular.

Latest posts