What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-workout / Nitric Oxide

Johns Magic

Referee
Anyone tried Black Powder?

When I was gymming a lot back in the day I used no pre-workout stuff. One of my mates(who got me into gymming really) used creatine, then one day he turned up and gave me almost a full tub of creatine, and said he'd tried this thing called Black Powder and was never doing creatine again because BP was so much better.

I'm considering ordering some.

Was on Superpump and also have also tried a few others. Agree with NQ though, your best bet is to up the good carbs and supplement with protein and even a multi or two.

dogslife

Coach
Bump. I've been off the PWO's for about 4 months now so I'm ready to get back into one, anyone tried anything worthwhile lately?

I have found, after many experiments with pre workouts, including Jack3d, N.O Explode and NaNO vapour that they have not improved performance at all. Yes they give you a buzz but is it really beneficial? They gave me pretty disturbed sleep and made me feel crap the next day. I found I am performing much better and feeling better off these supplements.

The caffeine in pre workouts like N.O explode and nano vapour from just 2 scoops remains in your system for many many hours. I did a quick search and entered in the caffeine content and its effect on the body, after taking 2 scoops of no explode at 2pm, the caffeine levels did not reach the optimum sleeping levels in my body until 1am in the morning. This not only affects your ability to fall asleep, but if you actually do manage to fall asleep it will inhibit your REM sleep. This will in turn reduce the rate of recovery therefor making you worse off for using these supps.

Just my .2c

Big_nick

Juniors
I think it really depends on your goals for the workouts, if your doing your typical bodybuilding regime there isnt much need for a lot of the ingredients in many pre-workout formulas.. a healthy diet should be sufficient. Crossfit athletes would benefit a lot more from some of these products, notably ones containing bicarb soda (buffers H atoms) these will help greatly for delaying onset of fatigue.

I believe it takes about 6hrs for the body to process 1 cup of coffee and most of these supplements have 2-3 times that caffeine. Our bodies also adapt and get used to the caffeine so it takes larger doses to get the same affect over time.

I occasionally use creatine, it is one of the few products in these supplements proven to have a positive affect on performance. But overall, as many have stated, you really are better off sticking to a well balanced, healthy diet!

dogslife

Coach
I have found, after many experiments with pre workouts, including Jack3d, N.O Explode and NaNO vapour that they have not improved performance at all. Yes they give you a buzz but is it really beneficial? They gave me pretty disturbed sleep and made me feel crap the next day. I found I am performing much better and feeling better off these supplements.

The caffeine in pre workouts like N.O explode and nano vapour from just 2 scoops remains in your system for many many hours. I did a quick search and entered in the caffeine content and its effect on the body, after taking 2 scoops of no explode at 2pm, the caffeine levels did not reach the optimum sleeping levels in my body until 1am in the morning. This not only affects your ability to fall asleep, but if you actually do manage to fall asleep it will inhibit your REM sleep. This will in turn reduce the rate of recovery therefor making you worse off for using these supps.

Just my .2c

That's interesting. I train mostly at night and I've never had a problem sleeping after taking products with caffeine in them. Of those ones you named, I've tried Jack3d and N.O Xplode and wasn't impressed by them either, there are certainly much much better ones out there. And just as a rule of thumb, any product ever created by Muscletech is shit, so Nano Vapour automatically rules itself out

Most pre-trainers have caffeine in them though, the only one I have used that doesn't is Jack3d and that just makes your face go all tingly.

aqua_duck

Coach
That's interesting. I train mostly at night and I've never had a problem sleeping after taking products with caffeine in them. Of those ones you named, I've tried Jack3d and N.O Xplode and wasn't impressed by them either, there are certainly much much better ones out there. And just as a rule of thumb, any product ever created by Muscletech is shit, so Nano Vapour automatically rules itself out

Musclepharm Assault is the top rated product in the pre workout category, I personally haven't tried it but my mates swear by it. Its a complete product (adequate quantities of every ingredient), only draw back is the servings are quite huge

dogslife

Coach
Assault is very good. Tastes awesome, and does it's job. It's slightly more expensive than a lot of others though, and you're right the servings are huge. The best preworkout I've ever had was one called APS Mesomorph, didn't taste very good, but the results were insane

Snoochies

First Grade
So after reading these posts, would a strong cup of coffee and a wholemeal sandwich of some sort do the trick?

Im not a massive fitness fanatic but ive been using jack3d for the last 4 or 5 months mainly because of the motivation it gives me to workout.
I've noticed that my body is becoming more immune and find myself taking larger doses (4 scoops sometimes).
For this reason i have purchased Superpump max (and also im doing less cardio and more resistance now) but i dont think it really does anything for me. I knew it wouldn't give me the initial buzz like jack3d but i cant lift anymore than i could previously.
Just wondering what other suppliments are similar to Jack3d in that they give you more of a lift/buzz?

Im not a massive fitness fanatic but ive been using jack3d for the last 4 or 5 months mainly because of the motivation it gives me to workout.
I've noticed that my body is becoming more immune and find myself taking larger doses (4 scoops sometimes).
For this reason i have purchased Superpump max (and also im doing less cardio and more resistance now) but i dont think it really does anything for me. I knew it wouldn't give me the initial buzz like jack3d but i cant lift anymore than i could previously.
Just wondering what other suppliments are similar to Jack3d in that they give you more of a lift/buzz?

None, Jack3d is illegal as it contains DMAA. Get caught using it you are breaking the law.

How about you use some good old personal motivation hey?

Hooch

Juniors
All you're buying are low dose, grossly overpriced stimulants with cool sounding names.

99%+ of the gains you are seeing are in your head.

dogslife

Coach
Take a few weeks off the pre-workouts if you haven't already, you will build up a tolerance to them after about 6-8 weeks in most cases. I tend to go through one and then take a few weeks off before using the next one. Try Driven sports craze, good shit, and nothing illegal

Take a few weeks off the pre-workouts if you haven't already, you will build up a tolerance to them after about 6-8 weeks in most cases. I tend to go through one and then take a few weeks off before using the next one. Try Driven sports craze, good shit, and nothing illegal

Cheers.. I tend to only use suppliments every second workout so maybe once every 4 or 5 days

Eating an apple is not going to make me focus and pump like jack3d does :(

And no it's not all in my head

woodyk2

First Grade
Cheers.. I tend to only use suppliments every second workout so maybe once every 4 or 5 days

Eating an apple is not going to make me focus and pump like jack3d does :(

And no it's not all in my head
Mate...sorry to say...it is in your head...have 2 apples then. Or take what essentially is a placebo.